Mini-golf

Spee

I've had a thought that putt-putt golf or miniature golf would be a big hit in LoS if done in the right way. My partner and I are thinking about buying some land, opening a small restaurant/cafe/bar and I thought that mini-golf set up in a U-shape around it could be an interesting formula. Does anyone know if there are places like this in or around Bkk or other areas? If so, are they popular? It would seem hard to believe this would be a first. Any thoughts?

Hi Spee,

There used to be a Mini Golf set up on Lower Sukhumvit about 3 years ago, it closed becuase the rent was to high, I don't know of any others, but I have the number of a company that provides everything to set it up. But I think they said they already had one in BK, I am sure if you called the they would tell you where.

They also have one on Koh Chang that was not bad and its this company I have the number for.

We thoght of the possibility of opening one up here in CM, but 2 have already closed down and the other one is way out of town and the two times we have been there we have been the only players.

Problem with BK or anywhere else for that matter is that you need a very good location ...that means high rent, when the maximum you can charge per round is 120 Baht it would be difficult to re-coup your money on rent of say 100,000 Baht a month. I have no idea how much a rai on Sukhumvit would cost, but a rai out of town in CM right next door to our restaurant is selling for 16.3m Baht, and thats 4 kliks outta town so in central BK ??????maybee 4 times as much !

I know that the company I am talking about are desperate to sell some layouts, and will reduce a lot from the 1mBaht they are asking.

The one that is still in CM was home designed and much better IMO

Anyway if you want their number I will gladly supply it

Good luck

TP

Ya you'd need more than just the mini-golf to make it work. Also, the course should be challenging and well done, and always kept in good condition. Nothing like a crap mini-golf course to dampen the mood.

ThaiPauly has a good point land values in central Bangkok will be outrageously expensive.

You'd probably need a minimum of 800-2000 sq wah (8,000 sqm), and main road Prime Sukhumvit (Sois 1-55) currently sells for 500-600,000 per sq wah.

That might drop down to as low as 100-150K off the man road and on the fringe of town, say, Udomsuk. The problem then is getting people to that location.

Best bet looking at finding something along proposed BTS Routes, aor renting the land in-town. But be prepared, leasing land can also be fairly costly.

As for pricing again ThaiPauly has the right idea, I played at the MBK 9 hole 3 par on Tiwannon Road at the weekend, a round cost about 250 Baht.

You'd probably need a minimum of 800-2000 sq wah (8,000 sqm), and main road Prime Sukhumvit (Sois 1-55) currently sells for 500-600,000 per sq wah.

Thanks for all replies. I have no interest in doing something like this in Bkk or any of the major southern tourist areas. If I ever did it, it would be up country near my and my partner's home. The idea would be to have it form a U-shape around the bar/restaurant/store that we are thinking about doing in a few years. My main reason for the OP was to see if golf has caught on in LoS to the point where mini-golf could be viewed as a legit idea for a profitable business. Doesn't necessarily have to be hugely profitable, just enough to employ a few people, pay for itself over time, give my girl a business project to work on, give me something to do after retirement, etc. But it's surely not worth doing if it would be a guaranteed money-loser.