Recommendations for a bore water pump with filter?

grain

On 1/19/2023 at 10:25 AM, grain said:

Thanks everybody for your replies, and thanks Muhendis for the link. I'm looking around online for more info & prices. I don't know how deep the bore is, or if it has any pvc lining, I seriously doubt it has any lining as it's a cheapo set up just to water her  garden. But where she lives the main water supply is very unreliable, and often you turn on the tap and there's no water, so I'm thinking if I can get her a good pump and some filtration, then the water from her bore could be used for general household use as well as the garden. All our drinking water gets delivered in big plastic bottles, plus we buy packs from Lotus's, so it's only general household use that we'll need the water from the bore for.

Perhaps better to buy a storage tank/house pump?  That is what most people use - tank fills when water supply is running and you pump from that tank.

Public water runs to a float valve (like used in toilet) at tops of storage tank and is automatic.  A cheap pump is then used to deliver water to house under pressure.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I would not put any philter to restrict the flow

Maybe in your household your spelling is correct for your inhabitants. 555555

But in English the spelling is filter for a water filter, but philter is a love potion 555555

A9995059-A69D-4593-9ECB-207F4C67A132.jpeg.6cfb042f7b6437f619786ccacd17facc.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps better to buy a storage tank/house pump?  That is what most people use - tank fills when water supply is running and you pump from that tank.

Public water runs to a float valve (like used in toilet) at tops of storage tank and is automatic.  A cheap pump is then used to deliver water to house under pressure.

Please, Please, Please show me a link or 2 to such a storage tank/house pump. I'll be buying a tank and pump in a few days and don't want to get it wrong and buy the wrong damn things and then later on have regret because I didn't know what I really needed. So please make this clear to me, show me what I should be looking for and buy.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, grain said:

Please, Please, Please show me a link or 2 to such a storage tank/house pump.

@grainDo you read your own thread??? F*F*S* I have just posted exactly what you are asking for, in this thread, 3 hours ago!!!!

Not only did I post the information but you yourself quoted my post!!!

Edited by sometimewoodworker

30 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

@grainDo you read your own thread??? F*F*S* I have just posted exactly what you are asking for, in this thread, 3 hours ago!!!!

Not only did I post the information but you yourself quoted my post!!!

Don't get angry with me, I'm trying to sort all this out so it doesn't turn into an almighty bullsup. Yes, what you posted earlier today is very helpful. I thought I clearly understood what we need to get. Then lopburi3 says "better to buy a storage tank/house pump." Is this the same thing? I'm all confused again. So that's why I asked him for links, so I can look and see are we talking about the same things or different things. Yes, of course I read my own thread, I'm responding and thanking everyone....but please don't get angry and swear at me, I need help and getting angry and swearing at me is not helpful at all.

As said above smallest pump should be fine for basic one story (for those that want US water pressure for showers much more expensive pumps are the norm).  Another thing having a roof over tank is pumps are cooled by water so if water in tank gets too hot pump with shutdown.  But suspect this is not so much an issue with plastic tanks normally used now (ours are the older SS type).  Make sure tank is light proof (or expect fungi).   What you do not want is the cheapest single wall blue tanks often sold for water.  As you will be using village water filter might not be required.  You may want a bypass to allow direct use of city water in case of power outage but would just use on/off taps rather than try to use one way valves (which often fail and suspect you will want full pump pressure whenever you can).  KISS (simple) is best.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As said above smallest pump should be fine for basic one story (for those that want US water pressure for showers much more expensive pumps are the norm).  Another thing having a roof over tank is pumps are cooled by water so if water in tank gets too hot pump with shutdown.  But suspect this is not so much an issue with plastic tanks normally used now (ours are the older SS type).  Make sure tank is light proof (or expect fungi).   What you do not want is the cheapest single wall blue tanks often sold for water.  As you will be using village water filter might not be required.  You may want a bypass to allow direct use of city water in case of power outage but would just use on/off taps rather than try to use one way valves (which often fail and suspect you will want full pump pressure whenever you can).  KISS (simple) is best.

OK thanks mate, more valuable info I need. When you say a "house pump" and a smaller pump. Could you please explain that a bit more. Would that 150W pump sometimewoodworker posted a link to be sufficient.

5 minutes ago, grain said:

OK thanks mate, more valuable info I need. When you say a "house pump" and a smaller pump. Could you please explain that a bit more. Would that 150W pump sometimewoodworker posted a link to be sufficient.

Yes - should be fine for basic small home.  Another thing to think about is location as pumps do make a bit of noise so best away from sleeping area unless using AC.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, grain said:

We have a Mitsubishi 155.

Single level house.

5 bathrooms.

Longest run is 33 metres from the pump.

Works perfectly .

Have tested running 4 showers simultaneously Ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grain said:

Then lopburi3 says "better to buy a storage tank/house pump." Is this the same thing?

Exactly the same.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Another thing having a roof over tank is pumps are cooled by water so if water in tank gets too hot pump with shutdown. 

In the 10 years of using the 155W pump and 20 year’s reading the Thai forums. reading all the threads here I have never heard of a pump shutting down because the water supply is too hot, frankly I don’t believe it has ever happened, I would welcome evidence to the contrary.

It is certainly possible to have your “cold” water supply get to a temperature that maybe slightly to warm (or even much to warm) for a cool shower. So in that case you may want to protect your tank from direct sun.

Our current supply never gets over 35C so is suitable for our needs. Others may prefer a water temperature of 20° C, in which case an inground tank may be better.  For us the storage of 7,500 litres of water under one of our rooms is about a 1 month supply and probably never gets over 30° C (note to self I should shut off the village supply and run those tanks dry as a test)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

In the 10 years of using the 155W pump and 20 year’s reading the Thai forums. reading all the threads here I have never heard of a pump shutting down because the water supply is too hot, frankly I don’t believe it has ever happened, I would welcome evidence to the contrary.

It has happened to me many times using about 15 years ago and is the reason we built the cover.  Hot water itself was fine as used less electric.  But never used 155w pumps so might not be an issue with them.  But it sure was for larger pump.

• Like 1

Use half inch dia pipe from the PWA mains to fill the storage tank (don't forget to install a bypass for use in case of a domestic electricity failure).

Use one inch dia from the pump discharge through the filters to your bathroom(s) and kitchen then downsize there to half inch for the outlets.

That way your water volume to the kitchen and bathrooms will be maximized. 

Make sure they use P traps on drains and properly vent each end of the sewer lines and vent the septic tank.

Follow @sometimewoodworker's flow diagram above, and personally, I'd go with the 250W pump as even if you open 3 taps simultaneously, having a larger powered pump combined with a larger volume distribution system (one inch instead of half inch), you will not notice any pressure or flow rate loss.

The tank drain and valve should be slightly lower than the suction line to the pump if possible, so you can drain out those "crunchy bits" and any collected sediment regularly (say every 6 months, depending on the turbidity of your water supply).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Another thing having a roof over tank is pumps are cooled by water so if water in tank gets too hot pump with shutdown.

this is possible

many auto hitachi and mitsubishi pump have thermal switch at connection between motor and pump turbine

these switch operate if pump turbine area too hot

inlet water temperature and heat from motor can increase turbine temperature

these switch can be more problem if faulty and sensitive

these switch are auto reset

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Encid said:

Use half inch dia pipe from the PWA mains to fill the storage tank

I disagree.

While the main supply may be ½ the shorter the length of ½ pipe used in the overall supply the lower your friction losses will be, so using 1” pipe wherever possible, this is specially important in the lower pressure town supply.

3 hours ago, Encid said:

(don't forget to install a bypass for use in case of a domestic electricity failure).

This is in the posted diagrams

3 hours ago, Encid said:

go with the 250W pump as even if you open 3 taps simultaneously, having a larger powered pump combined with a larger volume distribution system (one inch instead of half inch), you will not notice any pressure or flow rate loss.

Again I disagree, there was no noticeable loss of pressure with 3 taps wide open with my 155W pump, and it is certainly possible to have a pump that is too big if you don’t use an inverter pump (they are over double the cost)

3 hours ago, Encid said:

The tank drain and valve should be slightly lower than the suction line to the pump if possible

This is the standard layout of Thai water tanks, they have two lower outlets and you should always leave the bottom one with a stopcock but not connected to the pump.

3 hours ago, Encid said:

you can drain out those "crunchy bits" and any collected sediment regularly (say every 6 months, depending on the turbidity of your water supply).

In our case even with a rather turbid water supply we went 10 years without opening the bottom tap so the suggested interval is rather shorter than is probably needed.

• Like 1

All very helpful information, so thanks everyone. We're heading into town today to start looking at what's available and prices. I've got a much clearer idea of what to look for now.

All finished now. Today we had the installation done with an Advance 2000 lit tank and a Mitsu 155 watt pump. Tank cost 5.500Bt, pump 6080Bt, there was about 1000Bt for other bits & pieces, and 2500Bt for the installation (and the installer's price included all the electrical bits & pieces). So total price was 15,000Bt. We're very happy as we now have constant and very good pressure water.

So I'd like to once again say thank you to everybody who contributed to this thread. All your advice and information was very valuable and enabled me to get a clear understanding of what's involved and what to do.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 5:16 PM, Encid said:

Have you tested your water yet?

I didn't see any mention of filters in your installation.

My initial question about filters applied to the bore my wife uses that water for her garden. But the tank and pump setup we have is connected to the town water supply (nam prapa)