Renewal Passport in home country and immigration question

My Passport is expiring (still have lots of time though)

Now I intend to fly back to my Home Country and do the Passport renewal over there instead of at the Embassy in Bangkok.

At the Embassy they will give you a piece of paper for Immigration to transfer the stamps (or what it is called), but in my Home Country they will not give me (they have NO clue I guess) that piece of paper.

How (after coming back to Thailand with a Re-Entry Permit in my OLD passport) can I transfer the stamps to my NEW passport?

Is this something like just going to Immigration or do I need to visit my Embassy for that Letter?

Any other caveats I have to watch out for ????

TiA

Edited by MJCM
additional info (forgot to add ;) )

Yeah ^^^. No need for the letter if you renew outside Thailand.

Give the immigration officer both passports, tell him there's a re-entry permit in the old one.

Once you are in-country you can go to your local immigration for them to do the extension stamp-transfer.

• Like 1

Thx Guys,

really appreciated, it got me worried because of that Letter.

Now the question remains (I already send an email to the Embassy) how long before my Passport expires I can get a new one (because I don't wanna fly back there when it's sooo b......dy cold (rather go in the Summer)) :whistling:

Edited by MJCM
additional info

37 minutes ago, Crossy said:

There's certainly no limit for a UK passport but your new PP runs from the date of issue so don't do it too early.

I've renewed with 5 years left due to PP being full.

We can get a so called business passport, has double the pages of a normal passport and same price. 

Mine is less then half full. 

I think I will do the renewal 6 months early (if possible) so I can do it in the Summer. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MJCM said:

Mine is less then half full. 

I think I will do the renewal 6 months early (if possible) so I can do it in the Summer.

Not clear about for which country we are talking about. But with a ten year validity on U.S. passports, trying to get full-length use of it before its expiration is a consideration, sure.

But more critical these days for people living here, travelling there, etc., is the timing of a passport renewal.

This info applies to U.S. passport holders. In the U.S., stateside renewals are jammed up, the backlog is taking months to process a renewal there. Even the State Department advises renewals are taking 8-10 weeks. But one can pay for an expadited renewal, though I don't know the turnaround time on that.

For U.S. passport holders in Thailand, renewals by mail with the embassy are much faster. Reports here on the forum indicate the process is taking anywhere from just around two-and-a-half weeks to a bit more than three weeks at the outside of the time frame. So that is a big plus to consider when planning to renew.

Edited by rwilem

45 minutes ago, rwilem said:

Not clear about for which country we are talking about. But with a ten year validity on U.S. passports, trying to get full-length use of it before its expiration is a consideration, sure.

But more critical these days for people living here, travelling there, etc., is the timing of a passport renewal.

This info applies to U.S. passport holders. In the U.S., stateside renewals are jammed up, the backlog is taking months to process a renewal there. Even the State Department advises renewals are taking 8-10 weeks. But one can pay for an expadited renewal, though I don't know the turnaround time on that.

For U.S. passport holders in Thailand, renewals by mail with the embassy are much faster. Reports here on the forum indicate the process is taking anywhere from just around two-and-a-half weeks to a bit more than three weeks at the outside of the time frame. So that is a big plus to consider when planning to renew.

Home Country is in Europe, and I got an email back from the municipality were I want to renew my passport and they said I can renew my Passport at any time I like.

Ps: Turn around there is 3 -7 working days

Edit: Forgot, also my Driving License (home country) has expired so instead of renewing it from here (by sending it there) I can do that while I am there for my Passport

Edited by MJCM