Jump start

mrbojangles

Yesterday got the dreaded flat battery. Fortunately a mate was in who lives close by and give me a jump start from his car using his leads. The car started instantly and I ran it for a while and the charge seems to be holding well. After that, I thought I better get on Lazada and buy some leads. However, on searching through "jump start" etc I came across some small battery packs like you use for charging your phone but bigger and with cables to clamp on your battery. Now these would be handy to keep in the car as you don't always have someone to jump start from.

Have any of you guys used these and if so are they worth it and what should I look out for as there seems to be a massive choice of sizes and volts, amps, watts etc

Any advice greatly appreciated

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Newer battery chargers can jump start a car.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/best-portable-jump-starter/

I read this article and wondered how can you re-charge the portable battery charger VIA A USB PORT?

If it takes an hour to recharge my phone with a 4000mA battery, how long to replace current used to start your car?

Edited by KannikaP

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I read this article and wondered how can you re-charge the portable battery charger VIA A USB PORT?

If it takes an hour to recharge my phone with a 4000mA battery, how long to replace current used to start your car?

I don't own one but you'd need mains power for that. It's only portable once charged.

5 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I think the battery in my car is 720A

20230119_140511.thumb.jpg.a2fe60fd2408b53f34d50ae2e424150d.jpg

We are talking about a small portable jobby, not the one installed in your car, which is flat if you need the booster.

The photo shows that your car has a 75aH battery with a maximum current of 720 amps, which SHOULD last for 75/720 ths of an hour.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

The booster packs work great, we use them in Alberta for cold weather jumpstarts.

small, portable. I've got one for emergency backup

I don't know what is available in Thailand but I know the ones here in Canada are excellent

Start a diesel or gas engine no problem.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/cat/automotive/batteries-maintenance-accessories/battery-chargers-booster-packs-power-inverters/booster-power-packs-DC0002713.html

• Like 1

Not sure why all the scepticism on this thread. Used them for years and an exceptionally handy tool to have, especially the models with usb out (power your devices on a picnic etc.) and flash light/warning light.

Just don't use when half asleep and helping a neighbour ... on the plus side, connecting the wrong way will have you fully awake in no time :coffee1:

919007703_Screenshot2023-01-20043855.png.5d861edc775c0c8726ad7169cd126085.png

• Haha 1