Can I Get A Divorce

depressed

Hi All,

I'm new here. I'm a thai lady who's been married to a british guy for 3 years now. however, I haven't been settled in the uk. recently, my husband went back to the uk for over 5 months now. and for the last 1 whole month he has been disappearing. no contact at all. I can't reach him or anyone in his family as the uk homephone barrs all the international call.

I don't know what to think. he disappears without no quarels. but i know that he is fine no accidents or things like that.

so i was wondering. I'm very upset now, how can i get a divorce. is it possible to hire a lawyer to do the international divorce. is my status being recogzised in the uk? we haven't applied for a settlement visa.

regards,

depressed lady

Hi,

where did you marry? Thailand or UK?

If you married in Thailand, the divorce is easy.

If UK, not sure about divorce laws there but you will probably require a lawyer if you can't be present in UK.

Good luck

I got married in the UK, (to an english woman),and divorced in Thailand. It was very quick and easy. Although my ex wife was in Thailand at the time. We met with a lawyer one day and went to court the next day to have the papers signed. Basically that was that.

to make it valid in the UK you will need to register the divorce at the UK embassy, then its 100% official.

Good luck and don't be depressed. You will find the guy for you when the time is right.

I got married in the UK, (to an english woman),and divorced in Thailand. It was very quick and easy. Although my ex wife was in Thailand at the time. We met with a lawyer one day and went to court the next day to have the papers signed. Basically that was that.

to make it valid in the UK you will need to register the divorce at the UK embassy, then its 100% official.

Good luck and don't be depressed. You will find the guy for you when the time is right.

thank you so much for your kind advice. i'll go on with the proceedure which you suggested. thank you so much agian.

i got married in thailand. perhaps i might go to the thai embassy in london to get divorced. so we can settle things right. thank you so much agian for your kind suggestion.

if you got married in thailand, was it then registered with the british embassy? If not, then i am quite sure you do not have to do anything in england. Just see a lawyer in Bangkok, (or wherever you are), and they will be able to do everything for you.

if you got married in thailand, was it then registered with the british embassy? If not, then i am quite sure you do not have to do anything in england. Just see a lawyer in Bangkok, (or wherever you are), and they will be able to do everything for you.

If you marry in Thailand at an Amphur then it is officially recognised in the UK whether you register at the British Embassy or not. I hope that it works out for the lady who posted.

Cheers, Rick

If you marry in Thailand at an Amphur then it is officially recognised in the UK whether you register at the British Embassy or not. I hope that it works out for the lady who posted.

Cheers, Rick

Thanks for the correction Rick, and apologies to depressed if my comment was misleading. It was based on the fact that when i got divorced in thailand it was not recognised in the UK until after it was registered at the embassy. Curiously although my ex registered immediately, i could not remarry (2 years later), until i had also registered the divorce.

Cheers, Rick

Thanks for the correction Rick, and apologies to depressed if my comment was misleading. It was based on the fact that when i got divorced in thailand it was not recognised in the UK until after it was registered at the embassy. Curiously although my ex registered immediately, i could not remarry (2 years later), until i had also registered the divorce.

No worries my friend i was under the same impression as you until i saw it discussed on Thai visa. I believe that if you have the village ceremony it has to be registered at the embassy but the amphur wedding is recognised immediatley. I welcome any corrections to this thought and it my also help the poster.

Dear All..

Thank you so much for all your kind suggestions. The facts about my situation are:

1. We were registered at the Thai amphur. Will this be automatically recognized in the UK? What's my husband status in the UK. Is he still single etc.

2. my husband is missing. I believe that he is avoiding me...So I was thinking of flying to the UK and get divorced at the Thai embassy there. Do you think i'm heading to the right proceedure?

Thank you so much agian for all your kind replies.

Best regards,

Depressed.

Dear All..

Thank you so much for all your kind suggestions. The facts about my situation are:

1. We were registered at the Thai amphur. Will this be automatically recognized in the UK? What's my husband status in the UK. Is he still single etc.

2. my husband is missing. I believe that he is avoiding me...So I was thinking of flying to the UK and get divorced at the Thai embassy there. Do you think i'm heading to the right proceedure?

Best regards,

Depressed.

I saw a thread a while back (but can't find it now) with a Thai lady , married a UK guy , got a divorce in a Thai embassy (Singapore?) and wanted to remarry in the UK.

Somebody suggested that the divorce might be recognised in Thailand but not in the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear All..

Best regards,

Depressed.

I saw a thread a while back (but can't find it now) with a Thai lady , married a UK guy , got a divorce in a Thai embassy (Singapore?) and wanted to remarry in the UK.

Somebody suggested that the divorce might be recognised in Thailand but not in the UK.

I remember that that thread. The circumstances were different and don't apply here, I believe.

Dear All..

Best regards,

Depressed.

A marriage properly registered in Thailand (ie at the amphur) will be recognised in the UK. Similarly, a divorce in Thailand will also be recognised in the UK. Therefore, if you can get divorced legally in Thailand, that will be the easiest thing to do, but I don't know how easy that will be without the hiusband present.

As for flying to the UK and getting divorced there, a few things spring to mind:

1. Do you have a UK visa ?

2. Divorce proceedings in the UK can take a long time even when not contensted.

I think the first thing to do is contact a divorce lawyer in thailand.

I wish you the best of luck.

I didn't think that any thai embassy could issue a legal divorce. Better you apply for divorce at amphur but if your husband has gone MIA then you may need to apply for divorce on grounds of desertion & that would take 3 years I beleive (not 100% sure on time scale but unless you are both present & willing to divorce then it isn't possible until a number of years seperated)

I didn't think that any thai embassy could issue a legal divorce. Better you apply for divorce at amphur but if your husband has gone MIA then you may need to apply for divorce on grounds of desertion & that would take 3 years I beleive (not 100% sure on time scale but unless you are both present & willing to divorce then it isn't possible until a number of years seperated)

Correct Boo..... Embassies hand out Visas not divorces.

Unless the OP is in a desperate hurry to re-marry, just wait three years, apply at the Amphur for a divorce on the grounds of desertion and that's it.

Any other way (for the sake of speed) would just get messy and expensive.