2 seperate properties or one large property

We are looking for a 3 bedroom apartment in Bangkok. 

However, we often struggle to understand the financial understanding of the three bedroom apartments. Essentially we can buy a two bedroom, and a one bedroom in the same condo for half the price of a 3 bedroom. 

Is there something wrong with this plan ? The drawbacks ? Obviously one would be an extra fee's with the yearly fees - anything else?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billyo said:

An advantage of having 2 smaller condos is they will be easier to sell and allow for friends / family to stay separately if required and you can mix and match your living arrangements.

This may well be the route i look upon then. 

The key i suppose would be to get two rooms together - which maybe difficult in regards getting a two bedroom and a one bedroom together. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

The key i suppose would be to get two rooms together - which maybe difficult in regards getting a two bedroom and a one bedroom together. 

That would be ideal. We have a studio in Jomtien which since we only overwinter here is enough. But have seriously considered buying another studio if we were to want more. Obviously side by side would be best. Our agent friend said selling studios is the easiest the bigger they get the more problem it is. Plus if you have a row or just want some time away then you have two separate spaces.

11 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Then ask the owner unless it is you to put a door in between the units to access, but then you'll have a 2nd kitchen as well for the guests  etc...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I wonder if the price difference is due to companies moving in more working families?  Or young professional Thais?

Scarcity, there are not many 3 bedrooms so they are valuable enough.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

We are looking for a 3 bedroom apartment in Bangkok. 

As you are looking for a 3 bedroom apartment, that is what essentially what you require, so why settle for a 2 bedroom and a one bedroom for half the price.

Things to consider are, are 3 bedrooms more rare than 2 and 1 bedroom apartments, hence the price of a 3 bedroom being more expensive, regardless if you can buy a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom for half the price.

I know back in my home country, and I would assume the same would apply here, i.e. you can only build so many units in a building before you reach the maximum floor space ratio permitted for the building, suffice to say, most developers would opt for 2 and 1 bedroom units so as to maximize their profits, that said, council codes do also want a mix of a few 3 bedrooms thrown in, although some aren't so stringent, e.g. I have seen a building full of 2 bedroom units, others a mix of predominantly 2's and some 1 bedders.

The above said, if 3 bedders are rare and cost more, then that might be what you should buy for future capital appreciation, e.g. the more 2 and 1 bedders available, the more competition on prices when reselling, whereas the rare 3 bedders can command there prices.

Just something to think about and that said, if you don't need a 3 bedder, you can always buy a 2 bedder in BKK and a 1 bedder at a holiday destination for your holidays or as an investment.

14 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I wonder if the price difference is due to companies moving in more working families?  Or young professional Thais?

As far I know there are less expats / expat families since covid than before, many companies realized there is no need to pay them all these luxury salaries, inter school costs and more now remote working is possible too.