Can I assume that the 2 safest banks in LOS is Govt savings bank and the Agriculture bank?

4 hours ago, jippytum said:

they only allow Thai account holders to have internet banking not foreigners.

I dont know but that rule at GSB might have changed now. I was in this week and they said I could download the app on my iphone and I signed the form. The manager was out and it was late afternoon so I left it. I will go back this coming week and update this post. But it looks like farang can now have the GSB app on their phone

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

The topic was about bank guarantees of deposit . Thai owned banks offer one million baht protection

except the Gov savings bank that currently offer 100 %protection . A foreign currency account with any Thai bank affords ZERO deposit protection

Sorry but can I clarify something. When you say 'foreign currency accounts' are you saying having a USD account at a thai bank? 

But Thai baht accounts have 1 million protection. 

Is this what you are saying?

thanks

In the UK Banks £85,000 (Baht 3,570000) would be covered in each bank account, with the exception of banks that control other bank titles. 
I wouldn’t trust many staff in any Thai bank not to ripp you off. 
The wife had accounts in 4 Thai banks in Hua Hin, mainly because she needed to bank the businesses weekend takings on Monday mornings and would choose the one with the shortest queues as hundreds of Thais banked their weekend wages and business takings. 
She doesn’t trust Thai banks either.  ????

Edited by Dazkkk

9 minutes ago, Dazkkk said:

In the UK Banks £85,000 (Baht 3,570000) would be covered in each bank account, with the exception of banks that control other bank titles. 
I wouldn’t trust many staff in any Thai bank not to ripp you off. 

You need to get over that or else it's not worth being here. In over 20 years I've never  had a problem on this score, the media likes to highlight these stories because they sell copy, whether or not it's a serious risk is another story.