Bad air in December and now January….Too early…!!

mikey88

In the Pang Mapha Valley/District of the Mae Hong Son Province there is and was no ugly smoke within the last weeks. And that is "normal" here for this time of the year.

But in the last weeks it was very, very cold at night and in the early morning, 10°-12° (until ~9:30 am). That had not happened in this season within the 17 years we are staying here. The reliable Google-weather forecast shows no remarkable change in the coming week.

Have I been mistaken…??

I thought that December / January were ok for smog and that it didn’t get bad until March…?

I must have been reading the wrong information…

What I’m trying to do is the pick the best time of the year to go back to my home country for a visit each year.

The wisest time it seems would be when the smog is at it worst….??

So when is that I wonder.

On 1/23/2023 at 9:41 AM, KhunLA said:

Why I live where I do.  Actually this year hasn't been that bad ...

Talk about jinx myself.  Just returned from daily park walk with the dog, and nothing but smoke in the air.  Municipal park workers had a couple piles of leaves & brush burning, with more than a few piles waiting ????

AQI @ 100+, with PM2.5 over 7X healthy.

image.png.f4a30f17b7184d9f78da6690e5cc23aa.png

Think I'll stay indoors the rest of the day, till Swensen's  Tuesday run.

image.png.46c1a026c30b511d3d7dba16865212ee.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

Forecast a bit better the rest of week & next.  Down from flat out 'UNHEALTHY', to 'Un F'g Acceptable'.

Guess I won't see much of < 50 AQI till rainy season.

image.png.9450311aa51b1bc07f99b61889573703.png

Sad when your thoughts are "at least I don't live in Hua Hin or northward of"

image.png.91c07276f5377c46439a817a52fc94af.png

North of HH

image.png.59a4b2268a1236617b087f9fec334325.png

During these months I wonder "why am I not at Philly, PA, USA, or Florida" ...

... until I read the news ????

image.png.0d86d0e4c403a5b44e3ee6f737e738fa.png

Edited by KhunLA

On 1/23/2023 at 11:19 AM, mikey88 said:

I thought that December / January were ok for smog and that it didn’t get bad until March…?

It varies some from year to year... And last year was better in general than the years before, perhaps in part because of lower activity of all sorts during the pandemic.

But in general, for Thailand, the worst air season typically starts around November-December and then continues into the first couple months of the new year.

Look at where the red and orange high PM2.5 pollution levels fall on the following historical chart for Bangkok, which breaks out the readings by month and year.

Screenshot_3.jpg.89cd6214f3e8f02501b7800dc7079c11.jpg

https://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 1/22/2023 at 4:22 PM, ThaiPauly said:

BANGKOK readings this morning are far worse than Chiang Mai.

I have had every illness under the sun since I have lived in CM this last 19 years and have been hospitalized  more times than I care to remember, but never for  any respotory problems!!

Funny old world

Bangkok was bad on Jan 14-15 when we were there. ????

16 hours ago, mikey88 said:

I had Covid about 3 months ago…..not too bad with it.

But now….?

A lot of folks have that cough going months after Covid. Don't know if it is considered long covid but its real

My daughter who is in her 30's had that cough for months after

My wife & I had the cough too but only 2-3 weeks after

The village where we have a home is like a cough fest

Go in 7-11 that is all you hear like Muzak but coughing

CM is full of whingers an whiners.  About time you all grew some more brain cells and thought about the season, wind patterns and why a hot dry climate produces dust and bush fires. 

You want smoke, go live in Australia during bush fire season.  Only difference here is that much of the smoke is blown across from India or Burma and settles among our valleys all across the North and into Laos and Vietnam.

Dust is stirred up by human activity and any city traffic pollution exacerbates poor local conditions.  It's normal in a dry climate.  Get used to it or move.

OMG, I can smell the smoke and it's 7 am!!!

I sleep with my windows open, the air killing me as I sleep.

Lungs are likely now black.

Why get used to something bad for you?  Complain and make a difference.  Educate people who are healthy, and lungs have not yet turned black.

If you are new to CM, run!!!!   Thinking of CM, run!!!!   Enjoy breathing, run!!!!!   If simply OK with health issues and value your life as much as a 20 baht noodle soup, stay!!!!

On 1/22/2023 at 9:25 PM, mikey88 said:

My partner had COVID…..then 4 weeks later Influenza…..and now, with weeks of consistently Orange or Red AQI readings he is coughing so much that he vomits.

So…no.

Not whining.

Genuine concern.

I feel for both you and your partner, but at the same time this is why I have never lived in Chaing Mai. It is a fact and has been a fact for 25 years that Chaing Mai has a horrible problem with pollution when they burn the mountainsides. Some are willing to take the bad with the good. I chose not to.