Extension based on marriage, under 400k in bank account

Hello,

I don't have the 400k required for a year long extension based on marriage to a Thai,

but I believe I've read somewhere that you can get extensions that involve border runs every 90 days.

Can someone tell me if I have this correct and what's required for the extension?

Thanks in advance,

Nayet

60 day extension to visit your wife available from Immigration (but AFAIK only 1 time per entry)

Or go to Savannakhet Laos and get a MULTIPLE Entry NON-O Visa (Basis on Marriage to a Thai Citizen) which allows you to stay 90 days in Thailand, and then you have to do a Border Run.

Or after those 90 days goto Immigration and get another 60 day extension, but after that you HAVE to leave the country (you can come back immediately) to active another 90 day entry.

You can stretch that visa for approx 17 (??) months in total if you time it right.

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Nayet

Will you have the 400k in the near future? If so, when? These are questions you should address before moving forward, for your own convenience.

The advice above is spot on but you need to find the option that suits you.

If you can get the money imminently, go to immigration and get a 60 days extension based on marriage. This gives you the time to season the money for a one year extension.

If you are way off and in no position to get to the 400k any time soon, your only option for a long stay is a Multi Entry O from Savanbakhet. Laos.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nayet said:

Thanks, MJCM!

Sounds like I'll have to go to Savannakhet, because I'm already on a 1-year extension.

So you don't have the 400k for renewal? Correct?

If so yes Savannakhet is a real option, there is also Ho Chi Minh, but that requires an appointment (approx 4-5 week wait).

Savannakhet doesn't require an appointment, but be warned about 2 things

1- It can be very busy at the consulate (long queues) (so be there early)

2- Don't go and apply on Friday because you will only get your passport back on Monday 2pm.

(Some people don't like the town (too quiet)) but we always liked it (good food (on the river) and of course Beer Lao ???? )

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MJCM said:

So you don't have the 400k for renewal? Correct?

If so yes Savannakhet is a real option, there is also Ho Chi Minh, but that requires an appointment (approx 4-5 week wait).

Savannakhet doesn't require an appointment, but be warned about 2 things

1- It can be very busy at the consulate (long queues) (so be there early)

2- Don't go and apply on Friday because you will only get your passport back on Monday 2pm.

(Some people don't like the town (too quiet)) but we always liked it (good food (on the river) and of course Beer Lao ???? )

Yeah, I don't have the 400k unfortunately. Thanks for the tips. Savannakhet is probably my best option if I don't need an appointment. I've been there years ago. Not the most exciting place to me, but for a couple days it'll be alright.

Just curious, but what about Vientiane?  Is the Thai Consulate still open there?  Or is Savannakhet the only place you can get the Multi-entry visa?

Edited by connda

7 minutes ago, Garry said:

Do you have children together? Immigration is a lot more lenient for an extension of stay based on support of your children and you can still be married.

True, but would they forgive that he doesn’t have the 400k? Also with marriage the decision is NOT with the local IO but the regional HQ. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MJCM said:

True, but would they forgive that he doesn’t have the 400k?

For extension based on being parent of Thai child the financial requirement is 400k on day of application. 

Somewhat irrelevant as OP doesn't have 400k.

Also different offices will have various views on this 

Doubt very much if still married it would be an option for some immigration offices.

Here is thread related to that.

In particular ubonjoe first reply.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MJCM said:

True, but would they forgive that he doesn’t have the 400k? Also with marriage the decision is NOT with the local IO but the regional HQ. 

I am not saying that he if doesn't have to the 400K BUT the IO has not need for him to have it rotting away in an account for months at a time. As long as he can show proof of the money on-hand for a very brief period of time (week or less) then it should be smooth sailing with the IO.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Which fairytale did that come from. 

The financials are something immigration is very particular about.

Not only does the 400k need to be in for two months prior to applying for extension, it's recommended to maintain the funds in the account for the under consideration period. 

I believe the poster you quoted was referring to an extension based on being a parent. Hence his referral to money on hand for a short time.

Edited by puchooay

5 hours ago, puchooay said:

I believe the poster you quoted was referring to an extension based on being a parent. Hence his referral to money on hand for a short time.

Extension based on parent only requires the 400k on day you apply for extension.

This is what I replied to...

"I am not saying that he if doesn't have to the 400K BUT the IO has not need for him to have it rotting away in an account for months at a time. As long as he can show proof of the money on-hand for a very brief period of time (week or less)" 

Notice : "in an account for months at a time"......

"money on-hand for a very brief period of time (week or less)" 

This will NOT fly.

In addition I doubt immigration would allow him to switch to "support Thai child" from "based on marriage " while he is married..

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Wouldn't it be great if every embassy or consulate operated by the same rules ie Savannakhet will issue multi, but Vientiane in the same country will not. What is the rationale behind that?

It's not just Thai consulate/embassies.

For example my joint Melbourne does not do eg non O-A and non O retirement etc yet Canberra and Sydney do. 

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not just Thai consulate/embassies.

For example my joint Melbourne does not do eg non O-A and non O retirement etc yet Canberra and Sydney do. 

The difference was that Melbourne and the others were (now  closed) honorary Thai consulates.

57 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

"I am not saying that he if doesn't have to the 400K BUT the IO has not need for him to have it rotting away in an account for months at a time.

Months at a time ?? Only 2 months before and then you can withdraw the lot once you have applied, in 5 yrs I have never had to show the 400k after i applied.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Months at a time ?? Only 2 months before and then you can withdraw the lot once you have applied, in 5 yrs I have never had to show the 400k after i applied.

Read my post again. This sentence just prior to the paragraph you post above....

"This is what I replied to..."

the paragraph you took from my post is from someone else. 

Read posts prior to mine.

BTW you state only two months then you can withdraw the lot.

Highly recommended to maintain the funds during the under consideration period so closer to 3 months. 

Edited by DrJack54

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Read my post again. This sentence just prior to the paragraph you post above....

"This is what I replied to..."

the paragraph you took from my post is from someone else. 

Read posts prior to mine

Oops sorry jack, my comment was directed at Garry.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Which fairytale did that come from. 

The financials are something immigration is very particular about.

Not only does the 400k need to be in for two months prior to applying for extension, it's recommended to maintain the funds in the account for the under consideration period. 

Yes it is recommended but, in 5 yrs my IO have never checked and I would be interested to know of anyone that has been, as the rule states "2 months BEFORE applying" no rule to say otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Yes it is recommended but, in 5 yrs my IO have never checked and I would be interested to know of anyone that has been, as the rule states "2 months BEFORE applying" no rule to say otherwise.

Your IO didn't check, but who knows if the Regional HQ checks? Because there your application is send to, the decision is with them and NOT your local IO. And that is why you have the under consideration period which can take up to 1 month. (This is for extension based on Marriage)

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Advice needs to apply to various offices. 

Here is thread (one of many) where the consensus is to maintain funds during under consideration period.

Having said that I have never read a report of anyone rejected issue of final stamp for that reason.

Plenty are reprimanded.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Having said that I have never read a report of anyone rejected issue of final stamp for that reason.

Plenty are reprimanded.

A friend of mine was called to IO approx 2-3 weeks in the consideration period to supply additional info (bank letters).

His guess was that the Immigration misplaced his bank papers as the > 400k was in the account long enough.

Final Stamp was given about 1,5 weeks later.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Extension based on parent only requires the 400k on day you apply for extension.

This is what I replied to...

"I am not saying that he if doesn't have to the 400K BUT the IO has not need for him to have it rotting away in an account for months at a time. As long as he can show proof of the money on-hand for a very brief period of time (week or less)" 

Notice : "in an account for months at a time"......

"money on-hand for a very brief period of time (week or less)" 

This will NOT fly.

In addition I doubt immigration would allow him to switch to "support Thai child" from "based on marriage " while he is married..

You are mistaking posts. Never mind.

16 hours ago, Garry said:

I am not saying that he if doesn't have to the 400K BUT the IO has not need for him to have it rotting away in an account for months at a time. As long as he can show proof of the money on-hand for a very brief period of time (week or less) then it should be smooth sailing with the IO.

You are correct. An extension of stay based on being a parent negates the need to keep money in the bank for months.