Beer drinking local official leans back on his chair, falls in a klong and drowns

webfact

screenshot_19144.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Muang Chachoengsao police were called at 9pm yesterday after it was believed that a phu yai ban (a local official) had drowned near the Bang Phra sluice gate. 

At a 'sala' by the klong police found two empty bottles of beer and a plate of snacks as well as some shoes. A Honda Wave with its keys in the ignition was also there.

After a five minute search they found Naruphon, 54, the phu yai ban of Moo 4 dead under the water three meters from the side.

Thert, 56, a security man at the sluice gate said he was sleeping and looking at his phone when his wife said she heard something fall in the water.

He went to investigate and righted a chair that had toppled over. He saw the shoes but no owner.

He checked the loos and found no one.

He called for help from a friend of the phu yai ban. 

Samart, 55, said he tried to locate his pal in the shallow part of the klong but didn't dare enter the deeper water. 

He said he had seen the victim having a beer at the sala since evening, as was his wont.

He believed that his friend had leant back too much on a wooden chair and fallen in the klong banging his head on the concrete, reported Thai Rath.

He was unable to save himself.

The body was taken away for an autopsy at Sri Nakharin Wiroj Universtity's department of Forensic Medicine before being released to relatives. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"At a 'sala' by the klong...".

What is a "sala"?

Covered seating area, to eat & sip a few.  Obviously since facing water, didn't have railing of bench on that side.

In western country, might be called a gazebo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 5:09 AM, 2baht said:

Get outa here, you're making this up!

Reminds me of the man that fell into a huge vat of beer in a brewery when working alone.  
When the police were called they found him dead in the beer and checked the CCTV.
They were baffled as to why he drowned, because they saw on the video that he got out 3 times to have a wee.  ????

Edited by Dazkkk
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2023 at 3:52 PM, spidermike007 said:

... How did your father die? He fell off his chair. 

Weird, but my Dad sorta died in my arms, so to speak.  Four of us kids from all over the U.S. went to his place for his 80th birthday. He had 2 incidences the day before where he had to go to the hospital, heart problems, got back late in the evening. 

Then just after midnight on his birthday he had another attack when he was on the crapper.  He fell off. I tried to give CPR while he laid on the floor but no luck.  I will always believe that Dad  gave up the ghost at that moment because of the situation.  In a few minutes, he looked years older. 

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but few know when the time will come, or the circumstance.

19 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Weird, but my Dad sorta died in my arms, so to speak.  Four of us kids from all over the U.S. went to his place for his 80th birthday. He had 2 incidences the day before where he had to go to the hospital, heart problems, got back late in the evening. 

Then just after midnight on his birthday he had another attack when he was on the crapper.  He fell off. I tried to give CPR while he laid on the floor but no luck.  I will always believe that Dad  gave up the ghost at that moment because of the situation.  In a few minutes, he looked years older. 

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but few know when the time will come, or the circumstance.

Sorry to hear. Yes, when it is time for the grim reaper to visit not much we can do. 

On 1/23/2023 at 2:34 PM, JimmyJ said:

"At a 'sala' by the klong...".

What is a "sala"?

ศ  is the Thai character called Sala, translates to "pavilion".

I think it is like a gazebo, but not sure there is a common word in use in English.

Like a shaded structure, open to the air, in  a park, garden or yard.

Edited by cdemundo
  • Thanks 1