Renewing USA Passport by mail via BKK Embassy while residing in Thailand.

A few questions:

1) I gave my Thai address for my Mailing Address on the DS 82 form, and my USA address for my Permanent Address.

I assume this is OK?

2) Paying electronically via pay.gov  using a Credit Card -  

For my Mailing Address and Telephone Number do I use my USA info for those, so they will match the info the Credit Card company has for me?

Thank you.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

For 1, yes, I used my Thai address for Mailing address, and left Permanent Address blank.

For 2, not sure as my CC address is the same as my mailing address here, but I assume you need to use the address on the CC account.

PS: I think this belongs in a different sub-forum...

• Thanks 1

While you pay for the new passport via Pay.Gov., you will also be asked to also pay the embassy 100 baht to cover the cost for the embassy to mail to you via EMS both the new and voided old passports. The embassy required a Thai bank draft but give you instructions on how it is completed. It took my bank KB an hour to digest and produce the draft as I don't think it has ever been done. There was a minor charge for the draft. Include the draft in your mailing - you'll have a bank copy.

The embassy used a printed portion of your completed DS82 showing your Thai mailing address taped to the mailer envelope. 

Note the embassy advises that ONLY Thailand Post and DHL will be accepted for receipt of your current passport. However, according to DHL Thailand it does not do Thailand deliveries and especially passports; only to foreign destinations. DHL E-Commerce does handle Thai deliveries via an online account but I was told by phone contact that it will refuse handling a passport because they don't want the liability if it's lost.

"It's too much of a risk."

I used Thailand Post but be aware you may be asked to show your passport as ID which is in the mailer! I showed my Thai driver license that has my passport no., explaining my envelope has my passport to be replaced. Not a problem. I also have mobile photos of my "old" passport.

Note that you will also need an embassy certification to allow Thailand immigration to transfer applicable current stamps (start-end visa period, any multiple re-entry permits, etc.) in your "old' passport to your new passport. Mention this need in your mailer for old passport/DS82 to the embassy. The embassy will include it in the mailer to you included with your new and old passports. There was no charge. I also had several immigration items stapled in my old passport that needed to be placed in the new passport as well.

Caveat. This was my experience.

• Thanks 1

Strange procedure. For Swedish passports, mail is not an option. You have to make an appointment at the Embassy, personally apply for a new passport, pay there with a credit card or cash, wait for about 2 weeks and then come back to the Embassy and personally receive the new passport. No mailing is allowed. As a side note, our local post office stopped delivering mail years ago, they only deliver registered mail and parcels (online shopping).

Edited by AlQaholic
  • Like 1

I can only speak being an Aussie  l renewed via Australian embassy in bkk paid on the spot via credit or debit card ! Once renewed, went back picked up my passport.  Job done 

Edited by Mad mick
  • Like 1

Renewed my US passport couple years ago. Sent by Thai post per instructions Thai Post was familiar with process and we’re out in NE Isaan country. Entire process went smooth I paid with my U.S. credit card via internet. 

side note… if you put Thailand as your permanent address you have to submit yearly “ I’m alive” form

the only pain is tracking once it’s in US.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Renewed my US passport couple years ago. Sent by Thai post per instructions Thai Post was familiar with process and we’re out in NE Isaan country. Entire process went smooth I paid with my U.S. credit card via internet. 

side note… if you put Thailand as your permanent address you have to submit yearly “ I’m alive” form

the only pain is tracking once it’s in US.

The only “ Yearly I’m Alive Form”  I’m familiar with from expats.  Is a form 7162. This form is sent out every year by the Social Security Administration.  This is for people who collect Social Security using an overseas address.  It has nothing to do with your passport.  It has to do with the address a person gives to Social Security. 
I’m not aware of a questionnaire sent every year regarding an address submitted for a passport..  Maybe there is. But I haven’t heard of it

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Strange procedure. For Swedish passports, mail is not an option. You have to make an appointment at the Embassy, personally apply for a new passport, pay there with a credit card or cash, wait for about 2 weeks and then come back to the Embassy and personally receive the new passport. No mailing is allowed. As a side note, our local post office stopped delivering mail years ago, they only deliver registered mail and parcels (online shopping).

US embassy says it's in effect in a covid-19 lockdown and only see people that it must such as interviews for US visas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Srikcir  -  I went to the US Embassy last week to renew my passport. 

You can go in person; no need to mail in.   

However, they will keep your current passport (unlike ten years ago in my experience) and have you buy an EMS envelope to send the new pp back to your Thai address.

There is a ThailandPost outlet inside the ACS compound.  So, that is convenient. Cost is 100 baht. 

Remember to jot down the EMS code so you can track the return mailing.

In sum, this system is no faster than mailing in your pp from the start  - and I had to sit there in ACS for about 1.5 hours to complete the process.  Many people.

• Like 1