Thailand’s dependence on tourism means losing passport wars

webfact

12 hours ago, Celsius said:

I agree. Absolutely allow visa free travel to Thais and at the same time restrict them from

1 buying a  property

2 getting citizenship even if they have a family

3. Limit ownership of a business to 49%

etc, etc....

Sauce for the goose...

9 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Total nonsense to compare a jungle country like Thailand with Western Europe or USA.Ask the Japanese,Koreans and Singaporeans what they think about visa free travel for Thais.How many Americans,Europeans etc.will overstay their visa,disappear and work in massage,brothel or on a farm.In the 80’s and 90’s it wasn’t that difficult for Thais to get a visa,but a lot of them overstayed or and just disappeared.By the way once Thais have a long term visa they can work,buy land…..no immigration officer will bother them,after a few years they even can ask for citizenship.

Thais need a visa to travel and is ok like that.A country where people get 600bt pension,or people have a monthly salary of under 15000bt,or people sit in prison for criticizing the government deserves exactly that.Like someone else said maybe the rich and beautiful should share their money and wisdom

It used to be visa free travel for Thais to New Zealand until "about" year 2000 but so many Thais overstayed there the NZ authorities imposed visa controls. Please feel free to state accurate date if you know. 

8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Thai passport holders have a bad reputation of staying longer and working in prosperous countries. 

Thus the term  "Ghosts" when referring to Thai "tourists".

Indeed they do.  And it is far more common than you think.

And honestly how many foreigners really overstay their visa?  Not as many as you think, although it was a real problem in times past from trashy backpackers and begpackers.  Most people from other countries view these people with equal disdain as Thais.  One thing that I can say is people overstaying their visa here doesn't make headline news unless the land of (smiles?) seething....

You always have three fingers pointing back at you when you point one ahead.  

And yes passport visa times are generally reciprocal.  

33 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

It used to be visa free travel for Thais to New Zealand until "about" year 2000 but so many Thais overstayed there the NZ authorities imposed visa controls. Please feel free to state accurate date if you know. 

Not at all surprising.  Not to mention marriage schemes which they have tightened control of.  

8 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, the dirty farang, the stinky South Asian, the impolite rude Chinese etc. are proof enough that Thailand still believes being populated by the superior upper crust. 

If the endless corruptions everywhere on each and every level would be brought to a halt (wishful thinking, I know) then it would communicate a first step in the right direction. How many Thais get deported, without jail sentence of fine, from North Asian or European countries for overstay? No European country has a photocopy-phobia insisting on signing photocopies with blue ink only. 

Thailand's biggest problem is the attitude of their own people among themselves, among authorities and the fact, that the people must serve the government, i.e. police and army - whereas in other countries (which reached the 21st century) it works the other way round. 

Your call! 

It’s even more simple than that. Thai’s don’t give a stuff about any law, about anyone else but themselves and are unable to consider the ramifications of their actions.

17 hours ago, Celsius said:

I agree. Absolutely allow visa free travel to Thais and at the same time restrict them from

1 buying a  property

etc, etc....

Don't forget charge them 10x entry fee for national parks.  And if working deport immediately 

23 hours ago, Celsius said:

1 buying a  property

etc, etc....

23 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Classic EU. It's always take, take, take. What yours is mine, what's mine is my own. You cut, I choose etc. etc.

Never show any good will or reciprocity even when they claim that is it's policy. Projecting an image of virtue while (at least) one of their vice presidents does shady deals involving suitcases of cash. Don't hold your breath for any benevolence from the EU, Thailand... 

Yeah, true. We have already paid our sins by allowing all Africa to come over. Extending it to Asia would be too much. Selfish Europeans!

12 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

"One cuts, one chooses" is an example of fairness and therefore does not fit in with your list of examples of unfairness.  You would need to say "I cut, I choose" for it to make sense.

Actually it's an example of one person doing all the work (cutting) and the other getting to reap the benefits by choosing the largest piece following said cut. 

Imagine we'd just cut down a large Oak tree and agreed to share the wood. I said "Right, you cut that thing in half, I'm off for a beer and I'll be back in a couple of hours to choose the best bit". 

Get it now?

On 1/24/2023 at 8:40 AM, Celsius said:

1 buying a  property

etc, etc....

Charge them 20 X local fee for national parks

Double hotel rates

20 to 50 % more at hospitals

Charge them more for pharmacy goods, food, electricity, water.

Just to name a few things.

Edited by michael888

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Actually it's an example of one person doing all the work (cutting) and the other getting to reap the benefits by choosing the largest piece following said cut. 

No.  "One cuts, one chooses" is a method of ensuring fairness when something is being divided between two people.  One party decides where to cut, then the other decides which piece to choose.  This prevents any unfairness, as the one who cuts will endeavour to cut as evenly as possible in order to prevent the second party from gaining more than them, they are also unable to cut a larger piece for themselves and then choose that piece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide_and_choose

Imagine we'd just cut down a large Oak tree and agreed to share the wood. I said "Right, you cut that thing in half, I'm off for a beer and I'll be back in a couple of hours to choose the best bit". 

That isn't the meaning of the phrase you used.  But don't take my word for it.  Perform an internet search for either "one cuts, one chooses", or "you cut, I choose", and you will be enlightened.

Get it now?

I got it all along.  You are the one who did not, and apparently still does not, get it.

On 1/24/2023 at 4:44 PM, Freddy42OZ said:

Do you really think Thais are going to the UK, starting businesses and then importing Thai labour instead of hiring local Brits?

They could hire whatever nationality they choose (legally) without the need to hire X locals for every 1 foreigner. They could actually do what is best for their business.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh my goodness.  Boo Hoo.

It is what it is.  If I was married to a Filipinos gal I'd be a permanent resident of The PI by now and maybe even a citizen.

TIT - This Is Thailand.  Sucks as it may. 
If I had it to do over again?  I would not have stopped here and married a Thai national. 
But?  Here I am.  So, "illud est quod est"  It is what it is.

Edited by connda

There are enough third world immigrants in the West already. An average Thai does not travel far anyway so this concerns mostly the hi-so classes. As has been said they could start fixing Thailand's problems and see if it helps to achieve visa freedom.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, michael888 said:

Charge them more for pharmacy goods, food, electricity, water.

They would certainly be paying more for their electricity and water in Western countries....I find them quite reasonable for me here in Thailand!

On 1/25/2023 at 11:27 AM, Joebuzzz said:

You must be watching CNN or MSNBC.  You've got the whole crowd backwards.  It's all in the DEMOCRAT run dungholes that Asians are getting attacked, NYC, Los Angeles, San Francisco.  See todays news article regarding crime/murder in the top 45 cities in America, most were liberal democrat run.  The top 5 all were.  I'm no Trump worshiper but you'd never get me to vote for a democrat in America.  It seems too much "Main Stream Media" has brainwashed half of America.  There are no DEMOCRATS in Washington DC, they're all COMMUNISTS.  Yet, the populous of America is just too plain stupid to know that.  Now they're pushing for illegal aliens to have voting rights.  You think that's good?  No visa required, just stroll across the southern border and tax payers pay billion$ to them via Bidens crooked administration.  Yep, get a job, support illegal aliens.  Conservatives didn't do that, DEMOCRATS DID.  Sorry, you've been bent over by the MSM and you didn't feel a thing.

Calling BS. I don’t watch American TV at all, though you appear to be firmly attached to the so called “conservative” media, most of which is an ignorant crock full. Point the first, no, illegal aliens have not been granted the right to vote in Federal elections. Pure lying BS.
It’s also untrue that Democratic cities have higher crime rates. The larger cities do tend to be Democratically run and have a higher raw crime profile simply because they have more people. The crime RATE shows an entirely different story over twenty years to those with sufficient intellect to comprehend the difference. Look at number of crimes per 100,000 residents and it does not show a huge Democratic lead.

”from BBC”:

"Murder is up about 25% nationally including nearly identical change in Democratic and Republican-run cities," says US crime analyst Jeff Asher.

"I think the more salient point is that cities across the country, regardless of the mayor's party, are seeing an alarming increase in murder nationally this year," he adds.

Individual years can fluctuate but violent crime across the US has been on a downward trend since the 1990s.

Here is the YTD % change in murder for cities with a Republican mayor (and available data). Murder is up 26% in these cities YTD which is identical to the change in all big cities. Changes in murder trends don't care about the city executive's party affiliation.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2023 at 9:26 PM, PCUSHING said:

I can hear the sound of straws being grasped.

Dear, dear will the starry eyed dreamer "Thai beach lover", from the comfort of his basement in farangsville, never give up on his quest to defend the indefensible.

I don't have a basement to be comfortable in- such would be a step up from what I can afford, given the insanity of rentals at present.

Thailand is the best country on the planet by most criteria- I miss it. Want an expensive, over regulated, woke, PC country- stay in the western country you call home.

On 1/24/2023 at 1:56 AM, ThailandRyan said:

While we're at it add visa free travel for those from all Asean countries to go west like my Myanmar GF. We applied for her to obtain a visa to the US 18 Months ago and it's still in the first stage.  Trying to travel outside of South East Asia is an issue because they believe they will never return here. 

Ryan

There is a good reason ' they ' believe that , historical precedent.

It may be a pain to you personally but there is no denying that illegal economic migrants cause huge problems in the west.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

Calling BS. I don’t watch American TV at all, though you appear to be firmly attached to the so called “conservative” media, most of which is an ignorant crock full. Point the first, no, illegal aliens have not been granted the right to vote in Federal elections. Pure lying BS.
It’s also untrue that Democratic cities have higher crime rates. The larger cities do tend to be Democratically run and have a higher raw crime profile simply because they have more people. The crime RATE shows an entirely different story over twenty years to those with sufficient intellect to comprehend the difference. Look at number of crimes per 100,000 residents and it does not show a huge Democratic lead.

”from BBC”:

"Murder is up about 25% nationally including nearly identical change in Democratic and Republican-run cities," says US crime analyst Jeff Asher.

"I think the more salient point is that cities across the country, regardless of the mayor's party, are seeing an alarming increase in murder nationally this year," he adds.

Individual years can fluctuate but violent crime across the US has been on a downward trend since the 1990s.

Here is the YTD % change in murder for cities with a Republican mayor (and available data). Murder is up 26% in these cities YTD which is identical to the change in all big cities. Changes in murder trends don't care about the city executive's party affiliation.

And please site the racial demographic for those cities to show an actual cause.

And read my post again. I did NOT say illegal aliens get to vote in federal elections.  I said "Now they're pushing for illegal aliens to have voting rights."

Get it straight liberal.  Biden has screwed America. Democrats put him there.  That's the facts.

Edited by Joebuzzz
Add text.
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Joebuzzz said:

And please site the racial demographic for those cities to show an actual cause.

And read my post again. I did NOT say illegal aliens get to vote in federal elections.  I said "Now they're pushing for illegal aliens to have voting rights."

Get it straight liberal.  Biden has screwed America. Democrats put him there.  That's the facts.

“… please site (sic) the racial demographic…” Racist much?
“Now they’re pushing for…” is equally untrue.

And FYI I registered Republican in 1972. And 18% of Republicans who voted independent in 2016 voted for Biden in 2020. And college graduates of almost every demographic voted heavily for Biden, regardless of party affiliation. Those are who put Biden in the White House.

Get your facts straight, “ conservative”.

Edited by Kwaibill

The Thai passport has become much better for travel over the last 20 years. The first thing I did once I got married was to get her Australian citizenship. (Only took 2 years residence in Oz in those days.) But before we were married, it was a racist, insulting nightmare. Hassle after hassle, and usually the immigration stooges were <deleted> themselves! Now, of course, the Thai passport gives visa free entry to a lot more countries.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2023 at 12:03 PM, Kwaibill said:

“… please site (sic) the racial demographic…” Racist much?
“Now they’re pushing for…” is equally untrue.

And FYI I registered Republican in 1972. And 18% of Republicans who voted independent in 2016 voted for Biden in 2020. And college graduates of almost every demographic voted heavily for Biden, regardless of party affiliation. Those are who put Biden in the White House.

Get your facts straight, “ conservative”.

Sorry.  But I can do nothing but laugh.  Bidens America is on a pathetic course as anyone who pays attention can tell.  But hey, I'm an EXPAT, with no plans to return.  I do thank him for his genius economic expertise that provided me the largest SS Benefit raise obtained in the last 40 years.  I call it the BIDEN INFLATION RAISE!  I guess that's an accomplishment.  As far as I can tell, it's the only one..  So, it matters not WHO voted for Biden. The world is a worse place for it.  What matters is that the idiots that were too stupid to read something as simple as his voting record for the last 50 years, that show he's never done anything for the TAXPAYERS of America, have learned from their idiocy.  He's only voted to take more from taxpayers.  How's his country looking now?  I tell people here I'm from Canada.  That way they don't feel so bad bashing America and our governments incompetence.  I think Biden is working for China anyway.

• Haha 1

Wht is this nonsense article about? It is very well-known why Schengen has such strict visa rules, because Thailand is still a poor and developing country too, the place would be flooded by hundred thousands of SE asians working illegally. Not to mention my Thai wife can get a 5 year visa + eventually passport, within a decade, no issue at all.

Thailand is only a all day sunshine life if you have some western money.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2023 at 8:42 AM, MRToMRT said:

the HiSo's here want to have their "passport" recognised on an equal basis

What does this have to do with the "HiSos".

The HiSos as you call them are already travelling with impunity.  Wealth is its own passport.