Thailand’s dependence on tourism means losing passport wars

webfact

6 hours ago, Celsius said:

I agree. Absolutely allow visa free travel to Thais and at the same time restrict them from

1 buying a  property

2 getting citizenship even if they have a family

3. Limit ownership of a business to 49%

etc, etc....

Farangs can get Thai citizenship- it just isn't easy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Celsius said:

I agree. Absolutely allow visa free travel to Thais and at the same time restrict them from

1 buying a  property

etc, etc....

... not to forget: 4. Charge them 10 times more for entrance fees than the local EU citizens.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I believe Thais can visit Denmark visa free ???? It is reciprocal.

Denmark is part of the Schengen Agreement. It is highly unlikely

that it is able to offer something which is outside of the

Schengen area rules. I would be interested to see a link to such

information.

Edited by allanos
typo
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I believe Thais can visit Denmark visa free ???? It is reciprocal.

Thais need a Schengen Visa to visit Denmark, and need to apply at the Danish Embassy in Bangkok for such Visa. The main hurdle, besides all the paperwork needed, is that they need to provide credible evidence that they will return to Thailand at the end of their visit.  Being married with a Danish citizen simplifies things, but a Visa is still needed.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There's a reason that Thais need to be scrutanised carefully before they are issued with a visa. They are known to be brazen liars who say whatever is convenient for them regardless of the truth. EU and other countries know that Thais can't be trusted. They've also heard every story under the sun countless times. They don't make up these rules on a whim (unlike Thailand), they do so from experience.

Just need to see how the South Koreans reject the 'little ghosts' by the planeload ...

Edited by BusyB

I've always said it is easy to get to Thailand, but hrd to become a citizen even if married to a Thai national.

It's the opposite in Australia. It's hard for a Thai (with little money) to get a visa, but easy for that person to stay in Australia once there and to become a resident/citizen (e.g. just marry an Australian national). Australia still has Covid regulations in place that allow foreigners in Australia to apply for visas for which you would normally need to be in your home country. I'm sure most western countries are the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Classic EU. It's always take, take, take. What yours is mine, what's mine is my own. You cut, I choose etc. etc.

Never show any good will or reciprocity even when they claim that is it's policy. Projecting an image of virtue while (at least) one of their vice presidents does shady deals involving suitcases of cash. Don't hold your breath for any benevolence from the EU, Thailand... 

Lets discuss this reciprocity you talk off... 

IF we move to the UK, my Wife can get British Citizenship, it takes a few years. 

She’ll get free health care (after initially paying the NHS surcharge. 

She’ll be able to work there in any job as soon as she has been approved a residency visa (usually within 8 weeks of application). 

I can’t get citizenship in Thailand as I can’t apply for PR (as I don’t work here).

I can’t get government healthcare. 

I can’t work here unless sponsored for a very specific job (which I have done here in the past). 

From my perspective this reciprocity thing is ’swings and roundabouts’. 

In Summary:

Thailand is easier for Westerners to Visit, but not as easy for Married westerners to stay long term.

The UK & EU is harder for Thai’s to visit, but easier for Married Thai’s to stay long term.

A load of my Wife’s friends (wealthy) have properties in the UK.. No issues for them to own there. 

I can’t own here.... 

There are a lot of differences that articles such as this conveniently forget or ignore. 

The primary point of this article is also missed - there is a huge socio-economic divide for the lower income earners... its easy for the Wealthy to travel overseas, incredibly easy - they just have to apply for a visa....  not so easy for poorer Thai’s for obvious reasons - on the balance of probability they’d be travelling for work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lets discuss this reciprocity you talk off... 

IF we move to the UK, my Wife can get British Citizenship, it takes a few years. 

She’ll get free health care (after initially paying the NHS surcharge. 

She’ll be able to work there in any job as soon as she has been approved a residency visa (usually within 8 weeks of application). 

I can’t get citizenship in Thailand as I can’t apply for PR (as I don’t work here).

I can’t get government healthcare. 

I can’t work here unless sponsored for a very specific job (which I have done here in the past). 

From my perspective this reciprocity thing is ’swings and roundabouts’. 

In Summary:

Thailand is easier for Westerners to Visit, but not as easy for Married westerners to stay long term.

The UK & EU is harder for Thai’s to visit, but easier for Married Thai’s to stay long term.

A load of my Wife’s friends (wealthy) have properties in the UK.. No issues for them to own there. 

I can’t own here.... 

There are a lot of differences that articles such as this conveniently forget or ignore. 

The primary point of this article is also missed - there is a huge socio-economic divide for the lower income earners... its easy for the Wealthy to travel overseas, incredibly easy - they just have to apply for a visa....  not so easy for poorer Thai’s for obvious reasons - on the balance of probability they’d be travelling for work.

So why make false claims?

image.png.e2648731a9d9736605193fa6735fa834.png

Just more lies from the corrupt EU. It reminds me of them claiming to act in good faith while negotiating a trade deal post Brexit. They cannot be trusted, as the recent corruption scandal has highlighted. Classic EU, pretending to hold the high ground while lying through their teeth. Lower than a snake's belly.

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Maybe the countries cited in the article should impose a minimum of 4 locals in the country Thai business have set in, and that the Thai owners can only own 49%. Do you really think the Thai people would be happy with that? I would doubt it.

Do you really think Thais are going to the UK, starting businesses and then importing Thai labour instead of hiring local Brits?

8 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

It has nothing to do with "passport" it has to do with socio-economic standards and statistical likelihood of breaking visa conditions.

If the HiSo's here want to have their "passport" recognised on an equal basis then they should do more to liberate the poor, raise living conditions, improve the judiciary, raise wages and have democracy here.

In Thailand? Oh! Come on. The driver going the wrong way on a one way street and the police didn't stop him. He was walking.

18 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So why make false claims?

image.png.e2648731a9d9736605193fa6735fa834.png

Just more lies from the corrupt EU. It reminds me of them claiming to act in good faith while negotiating a trade deal post Brexit. They cannot be trusted, as the recent corruption scandal has highlighted. Classic EU, pretending to hold the high ground while lying through their teeth. Lower than a snake's belly.

Hep. and they can all walk upright under it belly with their top hats on, and the snake never noticed.

2 hours ago, allanos said:

The disparity in entry conditions between "western"

countries and Thailand is due to relative economic

strength between the two. The West is First World

whilst Thailand is a Third World,  or at best, "emerging"

economy.

Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but third world is not a phrase to describe economic development. It refers to political alignment. 1st world USA etc. 2nd world russian / China. 3rd world non aligned countries. 

9 hours ago, Enzian said:

Is the writer of this piece being intentionally dense? It's all a function of the fact that western countries have a normal income 3 or 4 X Thailand. Same as why half of Syria and north Africa wants to move to Europe. Enough.

I gave up reading the Thai Enquirer a long time ago when it became clear it's just the inane rantings of a farang-hating Thai nobody.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, San Fran Dan said:

Quit being a lil girl 

I'm puzzled with the Americans who don't like America (openly, exclaiming this fact to strangers).   

1.  No identity might cause depression.

2.  Maybe they drank the Thai "kool-aid" and won't look at the obvious issues

3.  Maybe they think more people will like them if they are from Denmark

4.  But they love being an American, oh, they will give you the blue passport with a smile!!!  If it helps them, and 99% of the time it does.

5.  But when America has some bad news in the paper (online) then they run with the haters.

When I grew up, there was MAFIA, insane racism, shady drugs (not cocaine, but people thought it was and many, many people died), everyone drank, smoking was everywhere, and serial killers then went crazy in the 90s after my childhood ended.   

What if I told you Thailand isn't as good as I thought it was 8 years ago????  Now what?  lol.

In America, you can find a real friend.  A real relationship.  Mostly clean air, buy anything, etc......

Here is an escape, which is great, I'm doing it................................but put the kool-aid down!!!!!!  

Edited by BananaStrong
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reciprocity? 

Any Thai can buy a football club, business or house or whatever in any European country, any Thai man or woman married to EU citizens can move to EU get permanent residency and citizenship, furthermore EU has laws that no country in EU can have double pricing  for tourists and citizens. No TM6, TM30, 90-day-report, one year renewal etc. What about this?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, PCUSHING said:

I can hear the sound of straws being grasped.

Dear, dear will the starry eyed dreamer "Thai beach lover", from the comfort of his basement in farangsville, never give up on his quest to defend the indefensible.

Everyone's a jaded disgusted expert once they bid farewell....

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Why are some people more privileged than others simply based on their passports?

Quite a naïve question.  Made more ridiculous by the fact that people without Thai passports are regularly discriminated against in Thailand and to a much larger extent.

I wonder what the chances are that "That's different" would be the reply to that?

12 hours ago, Celsius said:

1 buying a  property

etc, etc....

National parks !

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I gave up reading the Thai Enquirer a long time ago when it became clear it's just the inane rantings of a farang-hating Thai nobody.

He's not really Thai, but a Farang with a Thai bloodline. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, JustThisOnePostOnly said:

Won't be long before no one will want to go to the U.S. or the E.U.  This is a problem that solves itself.

There are thousand flocking into the US, Europe and the UK every day without a visa, passport or money. They are not tourists.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1