Drivers Warned of Increased Fine for Failure to Stop for Pedestrians at Crosswalks

snoop1130

5 hours ago, anthobkk said:

I always stop to let people cross the road at zebras. A few weeks ago while I let a Thai couple cross the road, the car behind me almost hit me and then started to honk because I stopped....

That happened to me on Asok. The car behind was leaning on the horn while the pedestrians were crossin, so I got out the car to have a word and he'd simply not seen the crossing sign. Many wais and apologies later, we were both back on our way.

One of the issues not yet raised here is the amount of people that stand by crossings and then fail to cross the road when you stop for them. I have put this down to a number of possible factors...

- They weren't expecting anyone to stop and so had stopped paying attention themselves

- They want to cross the road at some future point in time, which is not right now

- They just thought it a good place to stop and have a gossip

It's a bit like letting someone in at a junction. Some people just need a written invitation - again I put it down to the fact someone actually stopped to let them out.

Nothing worse that stopping for pedestrians who then just completely ignore you. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/24/2023 at 11:12 AM, ezzra said:

As per my observation on the road i now see many more motorists stopping for pedestrians and ever before, which is a step in the right direction, however, red light jumping is getting worse by the day...

It would be efficient if Thai embassies read that/if foreign newspapers mentioned this in order to warn and protect tourists going to Thailand. About the whole traffic situation and amount of deaths every year in Thailand.

4 hours ago, pedro01 said:

That happened to me on Asok. The car behind was leaning on the horn while the pedestrians were crossin, so I got out the car to have a word and he'd simply not seen the crossing sign. Many wais and apologies later, we were both back on our way.

Many modern cars, for example Volvo, stops automatically when the is a pedestrian in front of the car. Maybe that is why I see so few Volvo´s. Don´t know if can turn of that function .

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I drive daily in Pattaya and I see cars not stopping at red lights for pedestrian crossings on a regular basis.

I have decades of experience driving in Pattaya and only on a motorbike, so I'm particularly aware of safety, having never had an accident.

To cut through the pettifoggery, lemme elaborate on what I said here and repeat what I've said elsewhere.

Nobody said all vehicles now always come to a complete stop at the pedestrian lights and always wait until they turn green. 

True, some will never stop or slow down and sail right through. Those tend to be a minority of truly kamikaze Thai motorcyclists. They've always been part of the scene. It doesn't mean they didn't look. They MAY (may) have looked (quickly!) and just figured they could make it through w/o hitting anyone. Maybe no one was in the crosswalk anyway. YES, they are violating the law and should be shot. Happy?

Others, bikes and cars, will slow down (though not as much as you might like), look to see if anyone is crossing or going to cross. If so, they'll stop (as in the pic I posted IN A CROSSWALK); if not, they'll go on through. Farang drivers, such myself (IF i don't think any cops are around) also do this, BTW. Very common. Part of the reason is that tourists and others press the buttons as they walk by, just for fun, with no intention of crossing. 

Some will stop before looking around; if no one is in the crosswalk or intending to cross, they'll go on through the light. Also typical. If it's high profile crossing w/ likelihood of a police presence, this'll be the general rule.  

Some Dudley Do-Rights will stay stopped the entire time even if no one is crossing or intends to cross. If one vehicle leads them on through, they may follow, unless cops are around.

Is it getting better? Not in my experience. In fact I would suggest driving standards and behaviour are actually getting worse.

We'll agree to disagree on that point. The belief in Perpetual Decline infuses the thinking of many of our old posters, to be expected of them.

The situation had never changed before, but it indeed has gotten quite noticeably better since the new emphasis arising from the doc's death. Even I'm being more careful. It's a good thing.

Impressive that you took the time to actually photograph traffic to prove your point though, give yourself a big pat on the back. ????

Oh, I be da man. Actually, you could probably get off your a** and do the same. Pics will stop some of the lies for a day or so.

I also posted shocking pics of shade on the Promenade, plenty of tourists enjoying the Promenade and the beach, and some lovely Russian hotties on the beach as well. I think we had a few balcony jumpers reported later that day.  

Today I drove along a road with several schools, it was late afternoon.

I noticed there were multiple places with traffic cones and police who would stop traffic to let the students cross.

It’s not the first time I see something like this, but it reminded me of this thread, and made me think that something really seems broken, when each day, you need traffic cops outside schools to protect the children who need to cross the street.

I think the police are there for the same reason as the " Lollipop men and women in the UK were/are.

It is to regulate the foot traffic crossing the road as well as getting the cars to stop. . You can't let a school turn out and people crossing the road randomly , cars would be sat there for ages.

It works like a " traffic light system" you go en masse then we go en masse.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

Not good 'nuff. You've missed a couple of important steps. Not to feel bad: even our most authoritative Road Crossing Safety Instructors here always do as well. "The life you save could be your own." Lemme help:

Love it!

They say THINK at the end though. It'll never work.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, NE1 said:

I think the police are there […] to regulate the foot traffic crossing the road as well as getting the cars to stop

Right, they are of course there for a reason. But the European countries I am familiar with do not need traffic cops to show up every single day, put out traffic cones, etc. to protect the children.

Though in Europe (at least most northern countries), lots of research has gone into how to shape traffic, and how to make cities walkable, plus all the drivers have gone through training and passed a test, with consequences when you break the law.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Partenavia said:

They could start by making all the crossings actually visible, most are not, covered in black tyre marks. Nothing at the side to indicate them either.

So make them more visible to start with.

Well they have flashing lights and are painted blood red in Pattaya and still they get ignored. I get an impression locals won't stop unless it is for lights at a junction (and even then maybe not), never at something as trivial as a pedestrian crossing in the middle of a long open stretch. 

Oh yes, of course drivers will stop now and of course, those that don't will be fined. The latter is distinct possibility - no receipt of course but the former?  Change the habits of a lifetime? Persuade Thai drivers that their selfish ways are wrong? Not a hope in hell.

To make even a small dent in the attitude of Thai's when they get behind the wheel requires serious enforcement, serious fines and licence removal for repeat offenders.  However, how do you deduct points or remove the licence of someone who doesn't have one?  You don't need a licence in Thailand, you just pay the usual 200 baht 'fine' and carry on.  Nobody ever checks if you actually have a licence or not.

I hope I'm wrong but this announcement is most likely to be just another of the plethora of new road safety measures that are announced each year and never acted upon.

Just go to the crossing at Nana on Sukhumvit Road and watch all the drivers turn left from Soi 3 onto Sukhumvit, totally ignoring the 'green man' and driving though pedestrians right in front of a manned police box.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, lkn said:

Right, they are of course there for a reason. But the European countries I am familiar with do not need traffic cops to show up every single day, put out traffic cones, etc. to protect the children.

Though in Europe (at least most northern countries), lots of research has gone into how to shape traffic, and how to make cities walkable, plus all the drivers have gone through training and passed a test, with consequences when you break the law.

In reality there is little consideration for pedestrians trying to cross roads , here in Thailand . As an e.g. in the UK a vehicle cannot park near a crossing or within the zig zag lines which are 15 meters before & 5 meters after the crossing . That gives clear vision for both drivers and pedestrians . Up here in Issan , vehicles sometimes park on the crossing , will overtake approaching a crossing , often at speed . 

Yesterday when at the front of the queue on a crossroads the light turned to green and as I moved off a large truck and trailer fully laden with stones , came hurtling through 5 seconds after green on my side . This red light jumping seems to be a regular happening and last year a friend was hit my a red light jumper but luckily only minor injuries to him & daughter plus he had a dash camera to prove his innocence but was inconvenienced for 4 months while his 1 year old car was being repaired . ( would have been a right off in Europe but ins; company could save 50K baht by repairing ) . Also happened to another friend 3 years ago and the insurance company replaced the whole cab on his pickup to save a few thousand baht . It took nearly 5 months to repair and no free temporary replacement .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Oh yes, of course drivers will stop now and of course, those that don't will be fined. The latter is distinct possibility - no receipt of course but the former?  Change the habits of a lifetime? Persuade Thai drivers that their selfish ways are wrong? Not a hope in hell.

To make even a small dent in the attitude of Thai's when they get behind the wheel requires serious enforcement, serious fines and licence removal for repeat offenders.  However, how do you deduct points or remove the licence of someone who doesn't have one.  You don't need a licence in Thailand, you just pay the usual 200 baht 'fine' and carry on.  Nobody ever checks if you have a licence or not.

I hope I'm wrong but this announcement is most likely to be just another of the plethora of new road safety measures that are announced each year and never acted upon.

It seems that the Thai people including the authorities are content to let things stand as they are and must be aware of what could be achieved if adopting western standards of road safety . What should be happening is that foreign governments should be advising all travellers to Thailand , of the countries high accident rates , deaths and low road safety standards . Most tourists are unaware , especially when it comes to hiring and riding motor cycles .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lkn said:

The UK could learn so much from Europe (at least most Northern countries).

Schoolchildren safety fear over fewer lollipop men and women - BBC News

Trouble is, on the forum the UK sets the standard of excellence in all things, so having an officer at school crossings is all to the good and nothing in the least shocking. In the USA we had something of the same (not sure about nowadays, nobody probably dares walk to school anymore) and even students serving as patrol "officers." I served as one myself, in the 7th grade.

Edited by BigStar

18 minutes ago, BigStar said:

The UK could learn so much from Europe (at least most Northern countries).

Schoolchildren safety fear over fewer lollipop men and women - BBC News

Trouble is, on the forum the UK sets the standard of excellence in all things, so having an officer at school crossings is all to the good and nothing in the least shocking. In the USA we had something of the same (not sure about nowadays, nobody probably dares walk to school anymore) and even students serving as patrol "officers." I served as one myself, in the 7th grade.

You say ,   The UK could learn so much from Europe ? Please click the link below that shows the UK to be the 2nd safest in Europe 

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/uk-roads-revealed-to-be-second-safest-in-europe/

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, superal said:

You say ,   The UK could learn so much from Europe ? Please click the link below that shows the UK to be the 2nd safest in Europe 

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/uk-roads-revealed-to-be-second-safest-in-europe/

I call nonsense too.... they all drive on the wrong side of the road!

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2023 at 4:56 PM, snoop1130 said:

BANGKOK, Jan 24 (TNA) – Motorists who fail to stop their vehicles for pedestrians at zebra crossings face a maximum fine of 4,000 baht and have one point deducted from their driving license immediately under the new law.

Deputy government spokeswoman Rachada Dhnadirek said the new law, which was put into effect on Jan 9 increases penalties and adopts the point deduction system to ensure the safety of pedestrians at zebra crossings.

Each licensed driver has 12 points.

Just like the Drew Carey improvisation show Whose Line Is It Anyway where "Everything is made up and the points don't matter!"

18 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

I have so many times stopped at a zebra line to let the person or persons standing there looking like they wanna cross, but they don't. It's like they standing there waiting for a Taxi, Mc taxi or minibus.

You stop and they stare off into space as you hear the squeal of brakes and the smell of burnt rubber as the vehicles behind you almost rear-end you and motorcycles blow by on both side of you. 

• Like 1

Also enforceable under the amended law is the licence point deduction system, under which a motorist or a motorcyclist will have points deducted from the full 12 points, in accordance with the traffic violation committed.
The fines for other violations are now:
• 4,000 baht for speeding, up from 1,000 baht
• 4,000 baht for jumping red light
• 2,000 baht for driving in the opposite lane, up from 500 baht
• 2,000 baht for not wearing a seat belt while driving, up from 500 baht
The tougher penalties, especially for failing to stop at a zebra crossing for pedestrians, were introduced after a tragic incident last year, when a doctor was killed on a zebra crossing on Phaya Thai Road by a big bike.