Tax - Brit In Thailand

A friend of mine (an American citizen) informs me he is entitled to a tax refund for up to 2 years whilst working in the LOS due to a treaty between the US and Thailand. He advised me to check the revenue departments website to see if i (a British citizen) am entitled to the same.

The website, relating to British teachers, states:

ARTICLE 21

TEACHERS

1 A professor or teacher who visits one of the Contracting State for a period not exceeding two years for the purpose of teaching or engaging in research at a university, college or other recognized educational institution in that Contracting State and who was immediately before that visit a resident of the other Contracting State, shall be exempted from tax by the first-mentioned Contracting State on any remuneration for such teaching or research for a period not exceeding two years from the date he first visits that State for such purpose.

2 This Article shall only apply to income from research if such research is undertaken by the professor or teacher in the public interest and not primarily for the benefit of some other private person or persons.

Does this mean i too can claim a refund??????

There is a Dual Tax treaty between the UK and Thailand, so you should only get taxed in one country.

I do not have a copy to hand, but do not recollect special benefits, such as your refer to for US citizens.

You may find a copy here

However the UK does not have Global Taxation like the US, not yet anyway.......

If you are working in Thailand you will be taxed there and only pay UK tax on any income

arising in the UK, investments, rental income etc. Even then you have your UK allowances

to offset against tax, and in the case of rental income, mortgage interest is fully allowable. :o