Have to update TM30 after border run?

Hello, 

I asked the agency that rented me my condo if when I left the country and re-entered I had to go to Immigration to update the TM30, and they told me that it was not necessary if I did not move from my residence.

But today a friend went to immigration who returned from the Philippines to Thailand last week and they told him that when he entered he had to do a new TM30 with a maximum of 3 days from when he entered the country.

I have a 6-month contract in my condo (which I presented to do the TM30) and I did a border run to Cambodia on January 20. I have to go make a new TM30 then? At the rental agency they keep telling me that it's not necessary... I'm confused

• Like 1

If you get a visa exemption 45 days, you need to do new tm30 yes. 

I did not do this after my visa run to Cambodia in september, and when i went to the immigration for extend my stay with 30 days, i had to pay a fine of 1600 baht for not make a tm30.

How did the visa run go? Did you go by yourself? What border crossing?

On 1/27/2023 at 11:45 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you enter the country with a re-entry permit or a multiple entry visa a new TM30 report is not required.

Otherwise a new one is needed.

Not true I came back from Malaysia in October. I went to Imigration for my 90 day reporting and they refused to do it untill I did my tm30 first.  But no fine.

2 minutes ago, kennypick said:

Not true I came back from Malaysia in October. I went to Imigration for my 90 day reporting and they refused to do it untill I did my tm30 first.  But no fine.

How did you reenter Thailand? 

Reentry permit? Multi entry visa? 

Which immigration office told you a TM30 was required? 

• Thumbs Up 1

@DrJack54 and @ubonjoe are absolutely correct.

However This Is Thailand so while completely correct there are offices that do not follow the rules, so are more strict, also offices who have lest strict rules.

On 1/27/2023 at 11:31 AM, zekelin said:

But today a friend went to immigration who returned from the Philippines to Thailand last week and they told him that when he entered he had to do a new TM30 with a maximum of 3 days from when he entered the country.

The actual rule is that if a TM30 is required you have 24 hours to file it not 72 hours

But once again TIT YMMV and individual offices have individual rules. This means that guidance (if available) needs to be tailored to the specific office you are using.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 11:45 AM, ubonjoe said:

If you enter the country with a re-entry permit or a multiple entry visa a new TM30 report is not required.

Otherwise a new one is needed.

Been out of the loop (and contry) due to covid and lockdown for almost 3 years and this requirement was (happily) long-fogotten.  But now it comes back to me.  Please remind me - where or how is any average tourist advised of this requirement?  And would the requirement still apply if someone entered on a visa-exempt basis but had always been in possession of a Yellow House Book.  Thanks.

12 minutes ago, tomdfc said:

But now it comes back to me.  Please remind me - where or how is any average tourist advised of this requirement?

As a tourist entering visa exempt or with tourist visa you would do nothing with exception of need to deal with immigration office.

Typically this would be to apply for 30 day extension.

If you plan to have interaction with immigration you would need to provide screenshot of hotel filing TM30 report. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomdfc said:

Been out of the loop (and contry) due to covid and lockdown for almost 3 years and this requirement was (happily) long-fogotten.  But now it comes back to me.  Please remind me - where or how is any average tourist advised of this requirement?  And would the requirement still apply if someone entered on a visa-exempt basis but had always been in possession of a Yellow House Book.  Thanks.

Vanishing few tourists use anything but hotels or guest houses, I know I didn’t for my first 20 years of visits. Almost certainly no average tourist does, so the requirement for a TM30 report is always the responsibility of the hotel or guest house, so as such you will probably never be told of the requirement but will almost always have a copy of your passport taken so they can report as they are required to.

Having a yellow house book is totally irrelevant with regard to a TM30 report and having one makes it extremely unlikely that you are in anyway an average tourist.

I recently did a TM30 at the Ratchaburi Immigration office. I first went there to find out when to come in to do an extension after a 60day visa, they handed me the paper work for the extension and TM30, and said submit the TM30 when I came back for the extension. On coming back received the extension and the receipt for the TM30, where they said TM30 is on file now, no need to do again when you come to Thailand next time, We know where you live (P.S. This is in the house that Wife and I own) ..

So TM30 requirements, seem to change with the area you live in..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brock said:

where they said TM30 is on file now, no need to do again when you come to Thailand next time, We know where you live (P.S. This is in the house that Wife and I own) ..

So TM30 requirements, seem to change with the area you live in..

It's true that requirements change according to where you live.

You indicate that this visit you entered on  tourist visa (60 days) 

When you enter next time if you do so again on a tourist visa or visa exempt you will need to to a new TM30. 

I have a 6-month contract in my condo (which I presented to do the TM30) and I did a border run to Cambodia on January 20. I have to go make a new TM30 then? At the rental agency they keep telling me that it's not necessary... I'm confused

You need to do a TM30 within 72 hours of arriving or you will get a nice 1,600 baht fine by immigration when you go for an extension of stay. Don't listen to the agent or owner.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I did a border run to Cambodia on January 20. I have to go make a new TM30 then

How did you reenter Thailand.

If you have a multi entry visa then no TM30 required.

If you did order bounce and reentered visa exempt then you need to do a TM30. 

Edit: I just see now in thread you started asking about visa exempt entry from Laos.

So in regards to your question regarding TM30.....you need a new TM30 when you reenter Thailand. 

Edited by DrJack54

My last recent check suggests what has been said here all round is correct with the proviso that anything can happen. But I'd like to add the immigration app on playstore makes it seem like there can be a successful submission of address notification. But it's just for fun. Still need to do it at immigration in person. Haven't looked at any website version though and if that's acceptable?

6 hours ago, bbi1 said:

You need to do a TM30 within 72 hours of arriving or you will get a nice 1,600 baht fine by immigration when you go for an extension of stay. Don't listen to the agent or owner.

In the case a TM30 is required the official requirement is it needs to be done within 24 hours (Section 38 of the Immigration Act). If you have been told 72 hours by an IO then it is a local "interpretation" only, if you heard it from another place it's BS.

huh? I have never been asked for a TM30 during all my extensions here in Bangkok. Ive been using tourist visas and visa exempt stamps only. I have stayed in a hotel and two different apartments. Isn´t it supposed to be done by the condo owner? 

Just curious since I have never run in to this issue.

MY original was a 60 day tourist visa which i had extended one time for 30 days and had the tm30 form ok....then went to cambodia to get 45 more days...when that was expiring went back to jomtiem immigration about ten days ago...Same tm30 form was still stapled into passport and nothing had changed... had not moved from same condo and had all receipts showing paid up BUT they said no good....have to go get a new tm30 and come back next day....no fine, no can we call the rental agent, no discussion...so went back to property manager and they gave me another tm30 which was accepted...at least on second visit i did not have to go to the end of the line but was put in the line of people who were also there day before and were back again...which was a LOT of people but not as bad as go back to end of line square one....

short answer to OP question?  Best to have a new tm30 even if old one appears perfectly good...so go see landlord or property manager and get one to avoid an extra trip ...enen if landlord says no need as it is the immigration person that decides not the landlord....

6 minutes ago, jspill said:

Anyone know a hotel that will provide a screenshot of them filling out the tm30 ?

some people spend the night at the jometiemthani hotel near immigration and i unerstand they give you a tm30....pain in butt and another expense but i guess it works for some...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, pomchop said:

some people spend the night at the jometiemthani hotel near immigration and i unerstand they give you a tm30....pain in butt and another expense but i guess it works for some...

Bit of a commute for someone in Bangkok ???? (yes, perhaps jspill should have mentioned Bkk again in the post).

On 1/31/2023 at 8:18 AM, jspill said:

I went yesterday to BKK immigration, the new one at IT square Laksi, and they wouldn't let me extend without a TM30, they said it's a new rule since January.

have you moved or stayed in the same adress the whole time? seems weird to need a new one if you are staying at the same place. Sigh...guess I will have to ask for a new one after my next run just to be safe.