Visiting the states with my wife for the first time

I plan on visiting my kids in California and Im gonna take my wife along( she already obtained  a B1/B2 visa).

I have no intention of moving back there!

That being said ,Are there any formalities that I should do before we Go and while we’re there?

side note, I know I have to get a reentry permit and she has a International vax certificate!

On 1/28/2023 at 1:00 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Check your existing medical insurance cover to see if it would respond to a claim for treatment in the US.  If not, or if it would only provide benefits based upon Thai "usual and customary" levels, you should consider looking into travel insurance that provides medical benefits at a more appropriate level.

Just buy travel insurance it's not that expensive, especially if you already have pvt Thai insurance

57 minutes ago, andy said:

Have printout of ticket out of USA.  Had never been asked before (many visits over the course of 2 10 year B1/B2 visas) but last time at immigration (June of last year) was immediately asked where we live (don't say USA) and asked to show wife's ticket out.

GoogleFi was pretty good for a SIM, sign up before you go and they will ship a SIM card to a US address for you for free.

While there, buy as much cheese to bring back as you can carry.  The quality and prices are soooo much better in the US.  I've run out of Tillamook now ????

Thanks Andy this is the kind of stuff (suggestions /tips) I was interested in.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Try to relax and have a few drinks on the plane before you arrive before you go through immigration. 

You will need to separate and get in different lines and it can feel somewhat unwelcoming.

Any difficulties meeting up together after immigration?

And does a Thai spouse have to show she has funds to support her stay despite being accompanied by her husband?

Edited by riclag

Before my wife got citizenship, I was always allowed to go through the foreign line with her (green card). Never asked for support proof. I know it is a little different situation, but you can ask to go through with her.

Not knowing where you arrive, but at Seattle, you both come out of immigration in the same area.

Edited by bunnydrops
addition
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, riclag said:

And does a Thai spouse have to show she has funds to support her stay despite being accompanied by her husband?

I would do like bunnydrops said and just get in the foreign line with her. Worst they can do is make you get in the other line. By that time your in line together, at the window while she’s processed and she’s outside waiting for you.

Fuk them. They cant do anything to a us citizen. Worst that will happen is you wait in line again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 10:56 PM, JimTripper said:

I would do like bunnydrops said and just get in the foreign line with her. Worst they can do is make you get in the other line. By that time your in line together, at the window while she’s processed and she’s outside waiting for you.

Fuk them. They cant do anything to a us citizen. Worst that will happen is you wait in line again.

I've always gone in the foreign line with my green card wife. Never been a problem

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2023 at 12:11 PM, riclag said:

No. Easy to meet up in the area just beyond customs. And we have never been asked about separate funds. 

• Thanks 1

Take family member through the US citizen line.   I made this mistake Jan 25th.  They took her to the questioning room with a hundred others.  I waited 1 hour after I got our luggage.  We had a connecting flight and almost missed it.  F em.   Take her with you she is your wife. 

• Thanks 1

I lived in California for many years.  I recommend the small Wat Thai in Escondido California on a Sunday.  Small food court.  Pretty little temple in a quiet residential neighborhood.  Of course in the Los Angeles area the big Wat Thai is worth a visit.  The Wifey may enjoy it. As you probably know there are many Thais in Los Angeles and of course take a visit to Thai Town.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

We are going to Bakersfield, Ca to visit my kids at the end of the month.
My wife’s sister is living in Wisconsin, she told my wife to register our marriage when we get to there.

My wife knows we aren’t going to live in the states as long as Im alive.

Whats the sense of this request by her sister? 

side: she has a b1/b2 for 10 yrs

On 5/2/2023 at 8:22 PM, riclag said:

We are going to Bakersfield, Ca to visit my kids at the end of the month.
My wife’s sister is living in Wisconsin, she told my wife to register our marriage when we get to there.

My wife knows we aren’t going to live in the states as long as Im alive.

Whats the sense of this request by her sister? 

side: she has a b1/b2 for 10 yrs

There is no point to it.

Even if you were going to at some point move back to the US and get her a green card, your Thai marriage certificate is acceptable. My wife is a green card holder, never had to do anything regarding registering our marriage in the US. In point of fact I wouldn't even have a clue how you do that.

As for Bakersfield, I'm a Hispanic child of the Central Valley, and you'd be pulling my fingernails out before I'd go back there

Edited by GinBoy2

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

There is no point to it.

Even if you were going to at some point move back to the US and get her a green card, your Thai marriage certificate is acceptable.

As for Bakersfield, I'm a Hispanic child of the Central Valley, and you'd be pulling my fingernails out before I'd return!

I checked out if Cal accepted marriages in other countries and they do !

I don’t know what her sister is going on about!

It would be nice though if my wife could be claimed by her ( Im not sure of the legal term) if she decided to go visit her sister after I die .

side note , wife has a 10 year b1/b2

6 minutes ago, riclag said:

I checked out if Cal accepted marriages in other countries and they do !

I don’t know what her sister is going on about!

It would be nice though if my wife could be claimed by her ( Im not sure of the legal term) if she decided to go visit her sister after I die .

side note , wife has a 10 year b1/b2

Her sister would need to be a US citizen, permanent residents can't petition for siblings.

Even 'if' her sister is a citizen, this would be a second preference application which would take years 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 7:35 AM, andy said:

Have printout of ticket out of USA.  Had never been asked before (many visits over the course of 2 10 year B1/B2 visas) but last time at immigration (June of last year) was immediately asked where we live (don't say USA) and asked to show wife's ticket out.

GoogleFi was pretty good for a SIM, sign up before you go and they will ship a SIM card to a US address for you for free.

While there, buy as much cheese to bring back as you can carry.  The quality and prices are soooo much better in the US.  I've run out of Tillamook now ????

Canadian cheese is better and cheaper. Load up on maple syrup lol