How long to renew UK passport.

kwilco

14 hours ago, Upnotover said:

I had somebody collect my passport and she had an authorisation letter from me which referenced her Thai ID card number along with my application reference.  She also had my old passport for VFS to cancel.  That was all as far as I recall.

How long ago was that? You have to send off your passport now.

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

How long ago was that? You have to send off your passport now.

This is a forum for those applying in Thailand, you certainly don't send off your passport from here.

Where are you reading that you have to "send off your passport now"?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You don't send off your expiring/full passport if you're renewing in Thailand.  You retain it and bring to VFS to be 'cancelled' when you collect your new one.

As I said how long ago was that...it was changed in around 2017 and you sent it off....unless they've changes again....

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

As I said how long ago was that...it was changed in around 2017 and you sent it off....unless they've changes again....

I have renewed my passport twice since moving to Thailand, and on neither occasion (most recently as 3 months ago) was I required to include the original of my existing passport with the application docs. The current requirement, as clearly stated on the GOV.UK website, is to provide "a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages)."

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

5 hours ago, OJAS said:

I have renewed my passport twice since moving to Thailand, and on neither occasion (most recently as 3 months ago) was I required to include the original of my existing passport with the application docs. The current requirement, as clearly stated on the GOV.UK website, is to provide "a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages)."

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

OK - so who clipped the corner off your old passport?

On 2/13/2023 at 4:10 PM, kwilco said:

I renewed my passport via Hong Kong in 2013, I don't recall sending my passport off then. I renewed again last month, I certainly didn't need to send it then.
There may have been some changes in between, but I don't recall any.

On 2/14/2023 at 12:44 AM, surat04 said:

VFS

On 2/14/2023 at 12:49 AM, kwilco said:

When?

VFS snip the old passport when the new one is collected, passports are retained by the applicant during the application process, thus enabling the applicant to comply with the years old rule here in Thailand that a foreigners passport must be available for inspection at short notice.

23 hours ago, thonglorjimmy said:

I renewed my passport via Hong Kong in 2013, I don't recall sending my passport off then. I renewed again last month, I certainly didn't need to send it then.
There may have been some changes in between, but I don't recall any.

VFS snip the old passport when the new one is collected, passports are retained by the applicant during the application process, thus enabling the applicant to comply with the years old rule here in Thailand that a foreigners passport must be available for inspection at short notice.

Yes - in 2016 the press carried a lot of stories about this and the Thai authorities agreed at the time to recognise that passports needed to be sent off.

I changed my passport several times between 2014 and 2018 and the system changed several times - On my last time I handed my passport to the agency and it was returned with the new one , clipped.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Not what they told me. 

Well "they" should read the GOV.UK page (same statement for collection).

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

• Like 1

Does anyone have a phone number for Liverpool application centre. It's actually International Team 3 that i want to contact.

They are refusing to accept translations of our blue book as proof of address. Seems strange as we used that last time for the children's applications.

Thanks 

10 hours ago, surat04 said:

Does anyone have a phone number for Liverpool application centre. It's actually International Team 3 that i want to contact.

They are refusing to accept translations of our blue book as proof of address. Seems strange as we used that last time for the children's applications.

Thanks 

They don't publish any direct numbers for individual departments only a general number, which I suspect you already have - Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000
From outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000

Have you tried their online form to make a complaint? https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/Passport_Enquiries.ofml

• 1 month later...

It looks like the passport office will be going on strike for 5 weeks soon. Does anyway have experience in flying to UK with less than 6 months validity on UK passport? My daughters UK passport expires in October (her Thai passport has just been renewed) and am planning to take her back to Uk for summer holidays end June / start July. 
It says on Gov website, passports only need to be valid for duration of stay but I guess it might be how the airlines see it. I know for Thailand you need a passport with >6 months valid so her Thai passport will cover this. Thanks.

17 hours ago, Richard3456 said:

Does anyway have experience in flying to UK with less than 6 months validity on UK passport?

Your daughter will have no problem entering the UK with a UK passport with limited validity, or even an expired one.

The passport confirms she a British Citizen and as such is not subject to Immigration Controls, whilst her passport may be about to expire her citizenship isn’t.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 3:07 PM, CF10 said:

Has anyone got a UK passport in the past few weeks, can you tell the time frame it took please. Thanks

Got one a couple of months ago through VFS. They quoted 11 weeks but it arrived in less than 4.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Got one a couple of months ago through VFS. They quoted 11 weeks but it arrived in less than 4.

Looks like the water supply to the tea urns in HMPO's Liverpool office has been turbo-charged!????

• Haha 1