Renovating everything - buying more of everything?

OneMoreFarang

I am about to finish the renovation of my condominium. I plan to live there for many years.

I bought already some extra floor tiles and extra bathroom tiles to be sure I have exactly the same in case something will break sometime in the next years.

What did you do? Did you buy more of everything?

Did you ever use it?

Or does it just use some space and it will never be used?

Or do you wish you would have bought something extra because now you can't get exactly the same of [insert what is missing]?

Thinking the spare tiles was good idea 

Pressed to think of much else that you would stash away for future replacement.

Personally did a big makeover of a townhouse and thinking my main mistake was to put in European style oven.

Sounds you are way past those options. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thinking the spare tiles was good idea 

Pressed to think of much else that you would stash away for future replacement.

Personally did a big makeover of a townhouse and thinking my main mistake was to put in European style oven.

Sounds you are way past those options. 

Thanks

I paid already for my Electrolux oven and induction hobs. They are waiting in the warehouse for my signal to be delivered. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

I paid already for my Electrolux oven and induction hobs. They are waiting in the warehouse for my signal to be delivered. 

Probably a good option if you ever want to sell so not a big deal. 

With the advent of items such as airfryers etc oven seems less important. 

I had one year old kitchen destroyed by termites so you could consider a ongoing company to keep an eye on that.

I had to replace it with concrete thai style.

For others reading personally was surprised with reasonable cost of granite bench tops. 

Screenshot_20220706-170737~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220706-170850~2.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I always buy extra tiles and wallpaper and then measure twice, drill/cut once for every fixture that goes on them. If I remember I'll also take photos of the packaging of things like hinges, taps, door handles.

Don't buy brass door knobs / handle. They do have some mild anti-bacterial properties offset by the fact they look bloody awful within a year or so and you'll never have them all looking the same. Same with many of the anodised aluminium tile trims. Many of them discolour when grout touches them and they need cleaning every day to stay in good condition. No point buying extra of those as you'll have to remove much of the tiling to replace them anyway.

• Like 1

When I buy tiles, there is always some left over from the box, which I keep in case of a prob, other than that I don't buy extra, though I do keep all off cuts of everything, plus screws, nuts and bolts, you name it, that's a lifelong  habit.. .....:stoner:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

destroyed by termites

I definitely have them in mind because they are in our building.

With furniture I guess it is almost impossible to avoid wood. But with the internal work like floor skirting etc. I made sure there is as little wood as possible.

Let's see in a year or two or three... 

2 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Murphy’s Law. If you have spare tiles you will never need them. If you don’t have any spares, one will get broken and you’ll be retiling the whole room because you can’t match them anymore.

Just add leftovers found in shop, a little artistic mosaic dosnt hurt anyone. I just chip out anything that takes up space. 

I always calculate the area to be tiled, then buy 10% extra to cater for offcuts and not-quite-90⁰ corners etc.

The spares and off-cuts are then placed in a box and stored for the future, because you will never be able to match them again.

It's a small investment for a little insurance... :cool:

• Like 1