BREAKING; Nadhim Zahawi has been sacked ! by the Prime Minister

Social Media

Nadhim Zahawi has been sacked by Rishi Sunak, with the Prime Minister telling the Tory chairman in a letter that it is “clear that there has been a serious breach of the Ministerial Code”.

Rishi Sunak had ordered an investigation into Mr Zahawi by Sir Laurie Magnus, his independent adviser on ministers’ interests, following reports that the Tory chairman had paid a penalty as part of an estimated £4.8 million settlement dispute with HMRC.

Story

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

He reached an agreement with HMRC back in August 2022 which included the payment of a substantial fine.  That was the point at which his guilt was established.

He was sacked for breaking ministerial code. He was found guilty of that this morning.

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not so fast.

During Wednesday’s PMQ the PM stated the investigation would conclude around the end of next week. (Due process and all that).

And yet here we are reading news of Zahawi being sacked this morning, so presumably the ‘investigation’ (we are told ‘Due Process’) suddenly went into hyper-drive.

What might have brought about such a change in speed?

Perhaps it’s the news now being reported that Sunak was informed of Zahawi’s problems months back and before Sunak appointed him.

This becomes a bit of a problem for Sunak who’s official spokesperson has made statements to Parliament that Sunak had no prior knowledge of Zahawi’s tax problems.

This might not be a problem for Sunak if he had solid backing on his own benches, but he does not, many on the right of the party want him gone.

What a right Tory mess this is.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nadhim-zahawi-tax-rishi-sunak-hmrc-b2271243.html?amp

Like I said, accused, investigated, found guilty, sacked.

Anything else you speak of is unsubstantiated, as we can see with your use of "might", "presumably" and "perhaps". 

Time to appoint a replacement and move on.

8 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Like I said, accused, investigated, found guilty, sacked.

Anything else you speak of is unsubstantiated, as we can see with your use of "might", "presumably" and "perhaps". 

Time to appoint a replacement and move on.

Watch how this develops and enjoy.

• Like 2

Just now, JayClay said:

Is that before or after he was made head of the department that ran the investigation? I lose track...

I think it was just before.  Days or a few weeks before.

The timeline I was referencing was in today's Guardian.  It only gave events by month as opposed to the exact date. 

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I suspect there are a lot of British names in politics, but wisely don't want the high profile jobs given the attacks by the media.

Many British parliamentarians have names that are Norman in origin e.g. Johnson, Streeting.

Bloody EU, eh? They won't let us leave!????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Is there anyone left in British politics that has an English name.  I thought this article was from Pakistan or India.

I always thought the government should be representative of the people.

But it seems the UK government has far too few women (less than 50%), and far too many non-whites (more than 20%).

Edited by BritManToo

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always thought the government should be representative of the people.

But it seems the UK government has far too few women (less than 50%), and far too many non-whites (more than 20%).

BM2 as a Brit can you please tell me what ethnic heritage is of the two people mentioned in this article.

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

BM2 as a Brit can you please tell me what ethnic heritage is of the two people mentioned in this article.

Why is their ethnicity important?

As a Brit, I'm more interested in their honesty and competence in running the country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

This is the pick of the posts so far today.

If this occurance creates enough stimuli in you to use the word "enjoy" I sympathise.

The opportunity of observing the Tories drowning in the cesspit of their own corruption is something to be relished.

I fully expect Sunak to come under attack from the extreme rightwing of the party, with compromising leaks to the press.

I’m rather looking forward to that other pleasure, the prospect of what the Tories do better than any other party, an internecine knife fight.

Stay tuned.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Rich Persian and Rich Indian.

Actually, for what it's worth. Zahawi is Kurdish.

"Nadhim was born in Baghdad to Kurdish parents in 1967. Under threat of persecution from Saddam Hussein’s regime, his family immigrated to the UK when he was 9. He grew up in Sussex and was educated at King’s College School in West London and University College London where he studied Chemical Engineering."    

https://www.zahawi.com/about-nadhim

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The opportunity of observing the Tories drowning in the cesspit of their own corruption is something to be relished.

I fully expect Sunak to come under attack from the extreme rightwing of the party, with compromising leaks to the press.

I’m rather looking forward to that other pleasure, the prospect of what the Tories do better than any other party, an internecine knife fight.

Stay tuned.

Need I say no more. ????????????

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I suspect there are a lot of British names in politics, but wisely don't want the high profile jobs given the attacks by the media.

It’s got more to do with ‘Tge Glass Cliff’.

The practice of promoting women into leadership of enterprises when it’s certain the enterprise is failing.

Well the Tories tried that and it failed spectacularly, so they switched to an ethnic minority.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_cliff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rishi Sunak has said he acted "decisively" in sacking Nadhim Zahawi as chairman of the Conservative Party yesterday following a row over his tax affairs.

Speaking in Country Durham at the launch of his government's emergency care plan, the prime minister defended his handling of situation and stressed his commitment to "integrity" and the need to follow proper processes.