First Songkran in Four Years in Pattaya Looking to be a Major Event With Concerts, Festivals, Parties, and Yes, Waterfights

webfact

5 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

1 or 2 days - no problem. But 10 days is a completely different story. And this at whatever time THEY want. They could make zones. But there are not even zones to restrict the noise and sex pollution. 

Oh the Drama, a week in the areas of beer bars- mayhem on the 18th in Naklua, 19th in Pattaya.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Many routes out of Times Sq during New Years lol!

LOL. More hot air. Trollin, trollin', trollin'. You see any routes out on this map?

Times Square NYE street closures

No parking, streets closed to traffic, rigid crowd control, no alcohol permitted, designated emergency vehicle routes at 48th, 5th-9th Ave, other streets opened as needed. 

And it's only one day, not TEN days.

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Buy that big water ???? gun , have fun or leave! 

image.png.e3ac59a0b5b78c5a8d2c9c88635fd089.png

I'll be staying comfortably where I am. May have a few laughs at any idiots I happen to see down below.

Edited by BigStar

44 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I was thinking that Songkran, certainly the one crazy  day. (19th) surely is a big losing day, or day off for most Pattaya businesses. Traffic is at a standstill...nobody wants to go anywhere, streets are mobbed....a lot of locals come to town from outlying areas to have fun, but stay up on the back of a pickup, and spend nothing.

I don't think we should begrudge people for having fun on their day off!

Pattaya makes alot of money around this time, it's why a decision was made years ago to move it to the 19th rather than have it on the more traditional days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sungod said:

Oh the Drama, a week in the areas of beer bars- mayhem on the 18th in Naklua, 19th in Pattaya.

No, lots of annoyance and possibly danger for motorcyclists on other days in Naklua, Jomtien, and Pattaya. Lots of bars and bar girls to impress, random checkpoints elsewhere. You forgot?

image.png.5120cae659b6a65d2ae5200a453f257f.png

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No, lots of annoyance and possibly danger for motorcyclists on other days in Naklua, Jomtien, and Pattaya. Lots of bars and bar girls to impress, random checkpoints elsewhere. You forgot?

image.png.5120cae659b6a65d2ae5200a453f257f.png

lived in Naklua 20 years, ride a motorbike and never had an issue. Just keep away from the beer bars drama queens!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sungod said:

lived in Naklua 20 years, ride a motorbike and never had an issue. Just keep away from the beer bars drama queens!

Oh, but I have, and I know of plenty of other cases. It happens I may need to go by the beer bars to get to a couple of stores located among them. Don't really want to plot inconvenient circuitous routes to go elsewhere; why should I? No drama about it, just fact. The drama comes from the drunks w/ water guns in the beer bars--mostly, but not exclusively.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

LOL. More hot air. Trollin, trollin', trollin'. You see any routes out on this map?

Times Square NYE street closures

No parking, streets closed to traffic, rigid crowd control, no alcohol permitted, designated emergency vehicle routes at 48th, 5th-9th Ave, other streets opened as needed. 

And it's only one day, not TEN days.

image.png.e3ac59a0b5b78c5a8d2c9c88635fd089.png

I'll be staying comfortably where I am. May have a few laughs at any idiots I happen to see down below.

The amount of time you have is awe inspiring. If you had a heart attack it would be very difficult to get out. People gather 12 hours before buddy. It's packed. Who's the idiot? You ????

This is a fun topic and fun holiday. Why are you soo grumpy ???? 

6 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

The amount of time you have is awe inspiring. If you had a heart attack it would be very difficult to get out. People gather 12 hours before buddy. It's packed. Who's the idiot? You ????

This is a fun topic and fun holiday. Why are you soo grumpy ???? 

Awesome for you, trivial for me. It's packed, but emergency access is still possible, as noted. The Songkran photo was of the gridlock in Pattaya that makes access and passage impossible through critical roads. As I noted, your comparison was silly and irrelevant. Hot air doesn't make it less so.

No, it isn't really a fun topic or fun holiday at all for most people living in Pattaya. Nothing to do with "grumpiness" but rather convenience, safety, and suspension of laws against assault that might lead to an accident. Name-calling won't help your case.

22 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Awesome for you, trivial for me. It's packed, but emergency access is still possible, as noted. The Songkran photo was of the gridlock in Pattaya that makes access and passage impossible through critical roads. As I noted, your comparison was silly and irrelevant. Hot air doesn't make it less so.

No, it isn't really a fun topic or fun holiday at all for most people living in Pattaya. Nothing to do with "grumpiness" but rather convenience, safety, and suspension of laws against assault that might lead to an accident. Name-calling won't help your case.

You certainly can't speak for MOST people in Pattaya.  It's a fun holiday and very unique. I can't stress how therapeutic it is to go out in the crowd and water fight, laugh, get wet, track people down and spray them good and MANY people are not drunk.  I can't wait to see how the masked will cope. I think all the complainers have not even tried being on the fun side of Songkran ( meaning participating) yet act like they are experts.  Try it you'll like it Mikey. 

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

You certainly can't speak for MOST people in Pattaya.  It's a fun holiday and very unique. I can't stress how therapeutic it is to go out in the crowd and water fight, laugh, get wet, track people down and spray them good and MANY people are not drunk.  I can't wait to see how the masked will cope. I think all the complainers have not even tried being on the fun side of Songkran ( meaning participating) yet act like they are experts.  Try it you'll like it Mikey. 

There is for sure some fun. But I think after a couple of hours I would have had enough fun. And 10 days are much more than a couple of hours. And zones are needed. People who want to play these water games can go there. If you don't want simply avoid this zone. But how it is now - every drunken idiot can annoy you if you want it or not. And this is only fun for one side...

But again. There is no zoning and it seem to be unthinkable for the local government that there are people who don't like this special "fun". They also seem to believe that everybody enjoys bar noise the whole night long what is even more extreme during Songkran. But there are people who need sleep, there are people who have to work, there are children who need sleep...

Happy Songkran :drunk:

• Like 2

I say bring on the mayhem. For so long, fun has been surpressed. Let the kids and adults enjoy, dance, make merry, drink and get wet. If anyone objects then stay home. It's only for a few days (a bit longer in Pattaya). I for one, am happy to have a hotel booked in Pattaya from 11th to 17th April. After the last few years why not?

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, alex8912 said:

You certainly can't speak for MOST people in Pattaya.  

Having lived here more than 20 years, I know both expats and Thais pretty well. I speak basic Thai as well. You? And I've read the forums for at least 15. Sorry. Being "in" Pattaya for a holiday is far different than living here.  

4 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I think all the complainers have not even tried being on the fun side of Songkran ( meaning participating) yet act like they are experts.

Wrong again. Most everyone living here has "tried" it, probably multiple times. Yeah, been there, done it, quickly got over it, have other things to do more fun, don't permit others to define what's "fun" for us, don't need any "therapy" or need to provide "therapy" for water hooligans at OUR forced expense. Why should we?

If it were just hooligan vs. hooligan as it should be, or just for a couple of days, nobody would much care.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1