Ukraine: Boris Johnson says Putin threatened him with missile strike

webfact

image.jpeg

Johnson says Putin threatened him in phone call before Ukraine invasion

By James Landale, diplomatic correspondent, & William McLennan
BBC News

Boris Johnson has said Vladimir Putin threatened him with a missile strike in an "extraordinary" phone call in the run-up to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The then-prime minister said Mr Putin told him it "would only take a minute".

Mr Johnson said the comment was made after he warned the war would be an "utter catastrophe" during a "very long" call in February 2022.

Details of the exchange are revealed in a BBC documentary, examining Mr Putin's interactions with world leaders.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64397745

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2023-01-30

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Putin obviously misjudged Johnson.

Threats that would injure/kill others won’t get a pro Putin response Putin.

A bung would be far more effective.

Wasn't it at BoJo's visit as FM in Russia years ago when he surprised all with his fine diplomatic skill?  

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Yes, except that he took until now to publicly report this threat.

The article is promoting a BBC documentary. How long does it take to film, narrate, edit and broadcast a documentary? I don't know.

However, it is quite clear that Johbson reported the threat some time ago.

Edited by youreavinalaff

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

The article is promoting a BBC documentary. How long does it take to film, narrate, edit and broadcast a documentary? I don't know.

However, it is quite clear that Johbson reported the threat some time ago.

where?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Well. The report is in a BBC documentary that has already been filmed. They must have known about it at time of filming or else it would not have been included in said documentary.

I believe it is the BBC you should be questioning.

The producers knowing about it and the public knowing about it are not the same. My point is that Jonson did not publicly announce it to the best of my knowledge. Or yours it seems.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Show us where Johnson publicly announced this. I'm sure MI6 knew all about it as well. And the CIA.

The story was realeased about 8 hours ago. That seems to be the average on Google.

When he first reported to the media is something I don't know but long enough ago for a documentary to be filmed.

The story was realeased about 8 hours ago. That seems to be the average on Google.

When he first reported to the media is something I don't know but long enough ago for a documentary to be filmed.

You implied that it was publicly known ages ago. Now it's only today. You've proven my point. Why didn't Johnson announce it contemporaneously?

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You implied that it was publicly known ages ago. Now it's only today. You've proven my point. Why didn't Johnson announce it contemporaneously?

I have never implied what you suggest.

I pointed out that certain groups of the media have known about it for some time. Hence the documentary.

I also pointed out it is, therefore, the media you should be questioning for not reporting it sooner.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

My original post about this was a complaint that Johnson failed to publicly report this. For that he is weak.

You replied "However, it is quite clear that Johbson reported the threat some time ago. "

I asked you to show us where. You are attempting to move the goal posts.

No. I have always maintained Johnson reported it. I have never suggested he did so publicly.

• Like 1

No. I have always maintained Johnson reported it. I have never suggested he did so publicly.

It is self evident that his intelligence services would have had the transcript immediately.

My point, and I repeat, was that Johnson was weak for not reporting it publicly at the time.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Haha 1

Never trust what Putin says. We are not going to invade, its a military exercise..................yea right

From the article more lies to Defence Secretary Ben Wallace who flew to Russia to meet his counterparts nine days after the phone call with Boris.

"Putin Vs the West reveals Mr Wallace left with assurances that Russia would not invade Ukraine, but he said both sides knew it was a lie.

He described it as a "demonstration of bullying or strength, which is: I'm going to lie to you, you know I'm lying and I know you know I'm lying and I'm still going to lie to you.

He said the "fairly chilling, but direct lie" had confirmed his belief that Russia would invade."

• Like 1