Songkran Festival Tentatively Listed as UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage

webfact

21180a2aae3dbc6dcb224d311ca5fc66_small.jpg

by Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Prime Minister has expressed his elation that Thailand’s Songkran Festival is now included on a tentative list for UNESCO’s consideration as an intangible cultural heritage.

Government Spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri disclosed that Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha was pleased with the inclusion of the Thai New Year festival on the tentative list for consideration as the nation’s 4th intangible cultural heritage.

The spokesperson added that the premier was proud of UNESCO’s decision, which he said demonstrated global recognition of Thailand’s cultural identities and values.

An intangible cultural heritage (ICH) is a practice, representation, expression, knowledge or skill, as well as artifacts or cultural property, considered by UNESCO to be part of a place’s cultural heritage.

Other aspects of Thailand are also waiting to be included on the tentative list for intangible cultural heritages.

Thailand’s intangible cultural heritages currently include Khon, a dance drama genre, traditional Thai massage, or Nuad Thai, and Nora, which is an acrobatic form of dance theater and improvisational singing from southern Thailand.

UNESCO’s consideration for the Songkran Festival is expected to take place at the body’s meeting toward the end of this year.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230129173831587

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-01-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Songkran is not restricted to Thailand and is definitely a cultural treasure unlike anything similar found elsewhere. Shivatri in India and Nepal would be the closest cousin. I experienced Shivatri in Kathmandu in 1979 and it was something I'll never forget. Shortly after that I was in Chiang Mai in 1980 and it was a similar event. I'll never forget tossing a whole bucket of iced water over two cops sitting in a police ute and being wished happy new year for my efforts!

3 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

Hmmm which version of the festival will be a UNESCO thingy? The Hillbilly Songkran where 100's die? or the traditional one where elders are revered and water is poured gently on nong's hands? Must be the Hillbilly one cos in 20 years living here never saw the traditional one being practiced anywhere. Only heard about it going on somewhere up in Chiangmai.

The "hillbilly" version was the norm in Chiang Mai 40 years ago so I guess that answers your question.

6 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The "hillbilly" version was the norm in Chiang Mai 40 years ago so I guess that answers your question.

Not quite. Isuzu pick ups with buckets of freezing water and the whole neighborhood dancing drunk in the box, and pvc water guns and drunks riding on their motorbikes ... that is the hillbilly version. Not the one where elders gently poor water on family members' hands. 

Which one do you prefer or partake in? My wife and I actually barricade ourselves in during these deadly days.

Just now, Pouatchee said:

Not quite. Isuzu pick ups with buckets of freezing water and the whole neighborhood dancing drunk in the box, and pvc water guns and drunks riding on their motorbikes ... that is the hillbilly version. Not the one where elders gently poor water on family members' hands. 

Which one do you prefer or partake in? My wife and I actually barricade ourselves in during these deadly days.

My point was that version was alive and well in CM 43 years ago.