Phone scams in Thailand on the rise!

Scouse123

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And yes.... Add on this site... its getting worse..  having to close the ‘new letter’ pop up and then close pop up adds etc... 

I need a decent add blocker, but that slows Safari down.. 

Agree... The site is almost unusable on my phone because the pop-ups are so obtrusive.  I didn't mind it before, but recently they've got so large.

I switched from Chrome to Firefox with ad-blocker - works fine now.

• Like 1

I used to get these type of calls but I just keep blocking them. Then the messages started, I keep blocking it too. I still get them from time to time, but ignore and block are the way to go.

There's news about Filipinos being human-trafficked in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. They are offered jobs but once there, they are taken to their "accommodation" where their passports are taken and locked up. They are forced to work for these scammers who beat and torture them if they don't reach their targets. I believe same thing happened to that Indian guy who escaped and told his story. 

It's good to familiarise yourself with the common international codes they use. Prefix +69 is a common code at the moment.

Once in your phone has the missed call, you can then block the number. Seems they don't use many as I've blocked a couple and that has seemed to work.

I was chuckling at the filipino lady comment, seconded. Normally they are the back office for some westerner to sell you a spurious investment opportunity...with those guys I have tried telling them (i) I am extremely poor or  (ii) I am a qualified financial professional who self-manages my investments to get them to disappear. I have asked them directly to stop wasting their time for these reasons and remove me from their calling lists.

• Thanks 1

Here's something to be aware of. Last week I sent a parcel to Singapore, by registered post. Within 48 hours of it being delivered I started receiving scam calls from Singapore & Thailand about an issue with the parcel. So I've come to the conclusion that someone in either Thai Post or Singapore Post OR both is onselling details of the sender. It's too big a coincidence that these calls started within 48 hours of the parcel being delivered, when I've never had them previously. Thank god for my call blocker app and my Samsung phone identifying these calls as spam.