Targeted Inspections Conducted on Vehicles Emitting Black Smoke

webfact

image.jpeg

by Paul Rujopakarn

BANGKOK (NNT) - To alleviate air pollution levels in Bangkok, more inspections of vehicles and public transportation are being carried out to ensure fewer overall emissions in the capital.

The Pollution Control Department (PCD) is working with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and Department of Land Transport (DLT) to ensure that vehicles in Bangkok aren’t releasing excess black smoke emissions.

Police have also set up more roadside checkpoints to inspect public transport vehicles, as these cars run on diesel oil, which reportedly can exacerbate air pollution levels.

According to reports, 39,909 public transportation vehicles were inspected at checkpoints between October of last year and last Friday. 178 were found to be emitting smoke in excess of the legal limit, of which 135 were trucks while the remainder were buses.

The Department of Transportation is urging drivers to thoroughly inspect their vehicles in order to verify that they are not emitting excessive levels of smog. Any vehicles violating regulations will be suspended from the road until its issues are addressed.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230131124311089

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-01-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

- To alleviate air pollution levels in Bangkok, more inspections of vehicles and public transportation are being carried out to ensure fewer overall emissions in the capital

So they check only a few in Bangkok right. the rest of the country people don't matter.

Lives don't matter outside Bangkok .

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 1:44 PM, nikmar said:

178 out of 39,909 vehicles were found to be emitting  smoke in excess of the legal limit.

Waiting at a bus stop in Udom Suk last night i counted way more than ten vehicles emitting masses of black smoke in 15 minutes. Not so sure about the figures there!!

It’s quite ridiculous and it cost them more money on Petrol to have the Kool Smoke <deleted> 

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Is it possible the goons could finally be getting serious about air quality and the environment?

A while back they had another campaign similar to this and they had posters with phone numbers that you could call to report vehicles that were polluting. We were driving and we saw this truck that was pumping out huge black clouds of smoke and I copied down their license plate and I dialed the number, and handed my phone to my Thai wife and ask her speak to the department. She asked the person who answered the phone what can they do? He ask my wife why are you calling us and she said, well you have phone numbers posted to report polluting vehicles? The guy said well I don't know anything about this, nor who I would report it to, and she said well that's not really our issue is it? You're supposed to be monitoring polluting vehicles. He said OK, give me the license plate number and I'll see what I can do. My wife said are you going to do anything? He said, I don't know I need to look at the regulations first and see who I'm supposed to report it to, and then maybe somebody will do something. 

Not one of theses bureaucrats talk to one another the Egos are too Large 

These crackdowns on black smoke have been announced regularly since at least the early 90s, and they never last more than a week or two before silently disappearing.

This idea of roadside inspections of vehicles intrigues me, though. Wouldn't it be simpler just to look for the big clouds of black smoke and see where they're coming from? Just a thought.