How to homeschool kids in Thailand when you have an apartment?

aerge

Hello, been trying to figure this out with much difficulty due to Thai people always telling us conflicting things, including government officials.

The local changwat education department in our current changwat told us we can't homeschool our kid because we have an apartment, and it's only for high-school educated parents (or better) who own their own house locally in the same changwat as their house book. Then the story changed, that we could do it in any changwat but you need to have at least a rented house that can pass the "inspection" from their officials... having a separate studying room for the kid, and things like that.

But later, one of the homeschool "leaders" in Chiang Mai cited a law to us from the national Thai government and he said the law never mentions the housing requirement and that is some <deleted> that some changwats play trying to discourage you.

Okay, great... so legally anyone can homeschool apparently, but if government officials aren't following the law, what is the point? Where do we begin? I'd love to find a lawyer who specializes in education locally (or anywhere in Thailand!) who could help, but not many results on Google.

Posting in Facebook groups didn't get us far... most families own their house. I'm traveling a lot and don't want to buy a house or condo yet, esp. not just to please some local government officials who said it's required when it's not.

Pretty much I'm trying to figure out which changwat is the most homeschool friendly, it seems probably like Chiang Mai. But even then we can't find anyone who is living in an apartment or somewhat nomadic lifestyle who has successfully done homeschool there (let alone anywhere else).

Any stories or advice? Is this when I'm expected to bribe the education officials?

No idea but we homeschooled our child during the pandemic. 

I do scratch my head and consider why my sons school posts videos of kids not really learning and we use two types schools.

A normal type every day school and one once a week tutor for 2 hours.  

My wife also teaches him Thai 30 mins after school everday and i do a bit of work on his maths intensively once a week for about 90 minutes on the weekend before a treat.

No one ever reports on the progress so you have to try and figure it for yourself. Was supposed to be a mid term test this month first week but still nothing.

The integration is very important i think, so i am not a supporter of homeschooling on its own but best of luck with that.

We decided to send a lawyer down to the Education office to ask for clarification on the housing requirements, since the national laws about homeschool do not mention this...

And now the story has changed again, they told our lawyer you can use an apartment but there needs to be a separate space for the children to be studying every day for homeschool and they will come to inspect it. Pretty much they dared us to apply using an apartment insinuating to our lawyer that we would be rejected from homeschool if we tried it.

They still didn't provide any specifics about what housing is sufficient, told our lawyer we can rent house in the city... no specifics on size or anything else.

I'm sure we could sue them in court for violating the national laws, but it would take a lot of time and money to do that... I'm sure as hell not going to be sending bribes to these <deleted> for 15 years of homeschool. It's pretty clear its just an ego game, if you look like you're rich and hiso they probably approve you but if you look average they screw with you

Edited by aerge

On 2/1/2023 at 12:03 AM, aerge said:

Posting in Facebook groups didn't get us far... most families own their house. I'm traveling a lot and don't want to buy a house or condo yet, esp. not just to please some local government officials who said it's required when it's not.

Why dont you rent a house rather than an apartment or failing that get an apartment with one more bedroom you can convert to a study? Seems much easier than the hassle you are putting yourself through,

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 6:07 PM, marin said:

Why dont you rent a house rather than an apartment or failing that get an apartment with one more bedroom you can convert to a study? Seems much easier than the hassle you are putting yourself through,

Because they won't tell us what type of house is acceptable, first told us we had to own one locally. Then said renting is okay, then said apartment is okay, but everything depends on the inspection which they said is around 10 different government employees who will come and do various inspections across 3-4 months. If we failed the inspection, it's not like you can try again and again with different apartments and houses, they will just reject your homeschool application until next year.

However the national laws don't mention housing requirements. And the local officials have no paperwork stating what type of housing they require. Square meters, how many rooms, what type of rental contract, etc. It changes every time we ask.

And we travel a lot, many times outside of Thailand. I don't want to sign our name on 1-2 year rental contract (most rented houses or large condos in the city require this) if the government can't even confirm it would be acceptable. Then I'm paying for a house that I don't want and don't need for a long time, not even living there.

Here is the official Thai government handbook for homeschool for any families searching this thread in the future:

https://skm.go.th/portal/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/คุ่มือ-ครอบครัว.pdf

According to Thai homeschool activists in Chiang Mai told us they legally challenged the changwat officials who were making it difficult for getting approved by referring to section 2.3

ทั้งนี้ การจัดทำแผนการจัดการศึกษา ควรเป็นไปตามหลักเกณฑ์และวิธีการปรับใช้หลักสูตรแกนกลาง การศึกษาขั้นพื้นฐาน พุทธศักราช ๒๕๕๑ สำหรับกลุ่มเป้าหมายเฉพาะให้สอดคล้องกับบริบทและความแตกต่าง ของผู้เรียน โดยผู้เรียนจะได้รับการพัฒนาให้บรรลุคุณภาพตามเป้าหมายด้วยกระบวนการเรียนการสอน การวัด และประเมินผลที่แตกต่างกันได้ หรือสามารถปรับปรุงเพิ่มเติมส่วนที่ต้องการเน้น หรือความรู้ทักษะเฉพาะทาง ได้ตามความเหมาะสม สามารถจัดเวลาเรียนเป็นรายภาค รายปี หรือช่วงชั้น สามารถจัดเป็นกลุ่มสาระการเรียนรู้ หรือบูรณาการเป็นกลุ่มประสบการณ์ แต่ยังคงไว้ซึ่งคุณภาพของผู้เรียน ทั้งความรู้ ทักษะ เจตคติ เวลาเรียนของ แต่ละกลุ่มสาระการเรียนรู้/กลุ่มประสบการณ์ สามารถปรับยืดหยุ่น ตามบริบท จุดเน้น ปรัชญาของการจัดการ ศึกษาของครอบครัว โดยให้มีเวลาเรียนเหมาะสมที่จะพัฒนาผู้เรียนให้เกิดคุณภาพตามมาตรฐานการเรียนรู้ ที่ปรับใช้ ทั้งนี้แผนการจัดการศึกษาโดยครอบครัว ควรมีองค์ประกอบ ดังนี้ ๑) ข้อมูลพื้นฐานของครอบครัว ๒) ข้อมูลพื้นฐานของผู้เรียน ๓) ระดับการศึกษาที่จัด ๔) จุดมุ่งหมายของการจัดการศึกษา ๕) รูปแบบการจัดการศึกษา ๖) การจัดสาระการเรียนรู้/กลุ่มประสบการณ์การเรียนรู้ ๗) การจัดกระบวนการเรียนรู้ ๘) การวัดและประเมินผลการเรียนรู้ ๙) เรื่องอื่นๆ (ถ้ามี) ๒.๓ สถานที่ยื่นความประสงค์และยื่นคำขออนุญาต บิดา/มารดา/ผู้จัดการศึกษา ยื่นแบบ แสดงความประสงค์ และยื่นคำขออนุญาตจัดการศึกษาได้ที่สำนักงานเขตพื้นที่การศึกษาที่ครอบครัวมีภูมิลำเนา (ภูมิลำเนา หมายถึง สถานที่อยู่ของบุคคลตามกฎหมาย หรือตามที่อยู่ในทะเบียนบ้าน หรือหากครอบครัวมี ทะเบียนบ้านอยู่ที่หนึ่ง แต่มีถิ่นที่พักอาศัยเป็นปัจจุบันอยู่อีกที่หนึ่ง ซึ่งจะใช้เป็นสถานที่จัดการศึกษาให้ยื่นคำขอ อนุญาตต่อสำนักงานเขตพื้นที่การศึกษา ณ ถิ่นที่อยู่อาศัยปัจจุบันได้) ทั้งนี้สถานที่ยื่นคำขออนุญาตสามารถ ดำเนินการได้ดังนี

๒.๓.๑ ระดับก่อนประถมศึกษาและระดับประถมศึกษา ยื่นที่สำนักงานเขตพื้นที่ การศึกษาประถมศึกษา ๒.๓.๒ ระดับมัธยมศึกษาตอนต้น ยื่นที่สำนักงานเขตพื้นที่การศึกษามัธยมศึกษา กรณีครอบครัว จัดการศึกษาต่อเนื่องจากระดับประถมศึกษา สามารถยื่นได้ที่สำนักงานเขตพื้นที่การศึกษา ประถมศึกษา ๒.๓.๓ ระดับมัธยมศึกษาตอนปลาย ยื่นที่สำนักงานเขตพื้นที่การศึกษามัธยมศึกษา ๒.๔ เวลาในการยื่นความประสงค์ ครอบครัว สามารถยื่นความประสงค์จะขออนุญาตจัดการ ศึกษาได้ตามความพร้อมของครอบครัวหรือปีละสองครั้ง โดยสอดคล้องกับการเปิดปิดภาคเรียนของสถานศึกษา เพื่อสิทธิประโยชน์ต่างๆ เช่น การศึกษาต่อในระดับสูงขึ้น และการรับเงินอุดหนุนการศึกษา ซึ่งสำนักงานคณะ กรรมการการศึกษาขั้นพื้นฐาน ได้จัดสรรงบประมาณให้ปีการศึกษาละสองภาคเรียนคือภาคเรียนที่หนึ่ง ระหว่าง เดือนเมษายน ถึงเดือนพฤษภาคม และภาคเรียนที่สอง ระหว่างเดือนสิงหาคมถึงเดือนกันยายน กรณีครอบครัวที่จะขอใช้สิทธิ์ขอรับงบประมาณอุดหนุนการจัดการศึกษาขั้นพื้นฐาน ควรขออนุญาต จัดการศึกษา ให้ทันต่อการสนับสนุนงบประมาณอุดหนุนการจัดการศึกษาโดยครอบครัว โดยมีรายละเอียด ดังนี้

They told us this section is your legal basis for getting approved without crazy inspections or other bull---- that the changwat might come up with to make it difficult (cuz they want money from Bangkok for your child "studying" in their schools instead of giving that money to your family)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

I know this is coming late, but maybe the OP is interested. We currently home school our children, and had to jump through all the hoops. Each chaengwat is different, but in general you are going to need to meet the following restrictions:

1) You can only go to the chaengwat where the children are registered on the house papers.

2) The lessons must occur in that chaengwat. The master of the house where the schooling is to take place must sign a lot of paperwork.

3) At least 1 parent must have a university degree. You must provide transcripts. Our chaengwat required overseas transcripts to be certified by the embassy of the nation where you went to school, then translated into Thai and stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

4) You must have a room dedicated to studying and provide pictures of that room

5) You should plan on needing to create between 500-700 pages of documents and lesson plans before you get final approval. It is a tedious, bureaucratic process, and there are no standard forms. There are guides in Thai language from the ministry of education to help explain what you must teach at each grade level.

If you are renting, you are going to need a lot of assistance from your landlord. Make sure he is open to helping you and knows how much effort that is going to take. You may need to add your children to his housebook. In most cases nobody ever shows up to inspect. Government officials don't get paid enough for that. You just need to provide pictures.

You need to really, really, really want to do this. Don't underestimate how frustrating it is going to be. They have no interest in making it easy for you. Lawyers won't help. You just have to follow their rules and be persistent.

• Like 1