This is truly awful -Pollution.

Celsius

My suggestion is simple to move out of BKK I live in Rangsit and can tell you things are definitely better and cheaper the BKK.  If you need to get in the city the BTS is now running very smoothly.

Immigration is easier to deal with

Stores actually want to sell to you.

people are friendlier

Housing is definitely cheaper.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Tom H said:

This is the situation:

Air pollution same same always but in February we have the so called weather inversion. They “burn whole year”. Point is the layer!

9213784D-73EF-4FC1-9D26-19014B4CC477.thumb.jpeg.adceca527b2ebe2fe04e272020c17663.jpeg

It's a temperature inversion, not a weather inversion, hot and cold are inverted or reversed and the upper band of cold air is far more dense than normal. Your point about they burn all year is well taken although the burning is much heavier and more widespread at this time of the year, as the NASA firemaps confirm.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

One point, if it really was such an issue then I would not choose to stay here.

Continued exposure to high levels of PM 2.5 air pollution, overall, tends to shorten your life.... whether you realize it or not.

And the problem right now in Bangkok is predominantly the drift of pollution from agricultural burning, both in Thailand and adjoining countries.

Vehicle pollution, construction pollution and other sources contribute. But at this time of the year, it's the agricultural burning that sends the pollution levels skyrocketing.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, connda said:

These 3M P-100 masks do work. 

61njdl+ti4L-1460639993.jpeg

But you have to find and replace the pink colored filters periodically. Not sure those particular ones are so easy to source in Thailand.

A regular, well-fitting N95 face mask -- like those worn for COVID purposes -- will do a fine job of keeping out most PM2.5 pollution, which is the most important thing to avoid.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

If your not a smoker....Well you are now....I would say about a one pack a day smoker, breathing in this air.

Cigarette smokers have stronger lungs from smoking, so the pollution does not bother them as much.

Sometimes being a smoker pays off...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you're breathing in these current levels of air pollution -- specifically PM2.5 particles that are so tiny they can pass thru your lung tissue and directly into your bloodstream -- you're harming your health, regardless of your age or sensitivities. And whether you realize it or not.

There's a reason when the levels reach this high of red-coded pollution, the accompanying label is "unhealthy for ALL"!

Screenshot_3.jpg.d59ea5066ee8a8864c1622a9335fbffa.jpg

https://aqicn.org/station/thailand/bangkok/phloen-chit-road/

I am fully prepared to go down with the ship... just joking, sort of.. my affairs are mostly in order, the family is taken care of in the best way possible, and my air purifier is running though the levels in the bedroom are not that bad and it is clean in about 15 minutes

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Love It 1

17 hours ago, Tom H said:

stay at home. put some filtrete over your ac in case you dont have an air purifier or money to buy one. filtrete please google. homepro or lazada.

Stay at home with air purifier’s? Sounds like a grand place to retire!

????????????‍♂️

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Northstar1 said:

????????????‍♂️

I doubt as though your home country has crystal pure air. at least here air purifiers and common place and inexpensive:

"Air pollution is the United Kingdom’s biggest environmental health threat, with outdoor pollutants estimated to contribute towards 40,000 excess premature deaths per year, costing the UK economy upwards of £20 billion (US $25 billion) annually".

https://www.iqair.com/us/uk

• Love It 1

Apparently there's an all inclusive weather / AQI station just up the road from me.   Does agree with my AQI meter more than IQair, which is usually higher than my meter.  Still 'poor', but better than IQair readings, which I think come from Hua Hin, as doesn't state location of meter, but would make sense.

I like that right after the poor AQI report, there's and advert to "Retied in TH" ????

AQI.jpg

11 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

It's a temperature inversion, not a weather inversion, hot and cold are inverted or reversed and the upper band of cold air is far more dense than normal. Your point about they burn all year is well taken although the burning is much heavier and more widespread at this time of the year, as the NASA firemaps confirm.

….temperature caused by the weather:).

But thanks, I am not native speaker.

Well burning points are nearly the same in April:).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

????????????‍♂️

Three seasons. Hot, rainy and smoggy. Even the governments says: stay at home these days. Thats it. The other 350 days are better????. I guess this place is better than yours?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, cncltd1973 said:

I've heard a damp face mask captures smoke particles

If concerned, just wear a N95/99 mask, and one with a vent, for a bit more comfort. 

Holiday in the south, or get some indoor hobbies with some air purifier use.  Works for me, but our AQI is usually around 75+/- ... when higher, I stay indoors and keep myself occupied.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I doubt as though your home country has crystal pure air. at least here air purifiers and common place and inexpensive:

"Air pollution is the United Kingdom’s biggest environmental health threat, with outdoor pollutants estimated to contribute towards 40,000 excess premature deaths per year, costing the UK economy upwards of £20 billion (US $25 billion) annually".

https://www.iqair.com/us/uk

It is always so easy to bash Western nations when Thai government is always hiding something. From your own link.

https://www.iqair.com/us/thailand/bangkok

"However, despite the readings classing it at a moderate level, there are times when it crosses rapidly over this line to significantly worse pollution with levels of PM2.5 and other contaminants found lingering in the air. A large number of schools were closed in January of 2019, an unprecedented order at the time because the level of air quality has only something that has recently been made more transparent and available for the average citizen, as well as the government keeping a closer eye on it."

5 minutes ago, Celsius said:

It is always so easy to bash Western nations when Thai government is always hiding something. From your own link.

https://www.iqair.com/us/thailand/bangkok

"However, despite the readings classing it at a moderate level, there are times when it crosses rapidly over this line to significantly worse pollution with levels of PM2.5 and other contaminants found lingering in the air. A large number of schools were closed in January of 2019, an unprecedented order at the time because the level of air quality has only something that has recently been made more transparent and available for the average citizen, as well as the government keeping a closer eye on it."

There's no bashing there, a poor choice of words on your part. I was simply pointing out that pollution is  a global problem, not something that is unique to Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1