How Social are the Expat communities in Thailand ?

Social Media

On 2/5/2023 at 3:16 PM, JayClay said:

Very often when you meet somebody one of the first questions you will be asked is where you're from. I used to naively think this was just a bit of "small talk", part of getting to know you kind of thing. But unfortunately, more often than not, it's just a way for your new-found friend to confirm you're not Russian so that they can go off on a rant about how much they dislike Russians.

LOL. Reminds me of the time I went to Saudi to work and one of the guys from the accommodation building shouted me dinner. Last time he ever spoke to me. I found out later that he was finding out if I was going to join the homosexual community in the building, or not. I wasn't a prospective it turned out. 5555555555555

Expat community in LOS- they have them there? I'm jiggered, as all the farang expats I passed in the street looked the other way to avoid acknowledging my presence.

How Social are the Expat communities in Thailand ?

Very. Hash House Harriers. But group dynamics vary from community to community. I.E. Pattaya different to Bangkok which is different to CM etc.

For the most part good people and very sociable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/6/2023 at 2:54 AM, soi3eddie said:

We enjoy lawn bowls, bicycling, motorcycling, dinners as a group with our significant others, get togethers for Sunday roast lunch (often 18 persons at our table) and coffee etc.

When I first moved full-time to Thailand, I used to hang out a bit at a nearby bar-farang. The guys there were often with their 'significant others' and used to ask me, why my girlfriend never comes?

I asked her why not? She said I don't want to listen to you talking in English which I don't understand.

I said you can hang out with the other girls/women there.

She then said most emphatically:

I will chooser MY OWN friends, thank you very much!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2023 at 5:52 AM, Cricky said:

Yes, Tops Pattaya, here in TukCom attracts these guys.

I was sat in McDonald's (above Tops) on Saturday eating my burger, an elderly foreigner walked in with a small container, he walked over to the sauce dispenser and filled up his container, walked out through the side door, snapped the lid on the container and walked off.

Geeze, poor bloke must be doing tuff, nicking the sauce. ????

at least he wasn't eating at McDonalds.