Pentagon tracking suspected Chinese spy balloon over the US

Scott

Pentagon spokesman Air Force Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder speaks during a briefing at the Pentagon in Washington, Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2023. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

The US is tracking a suspected Chinese high-altitude surveillance balloon over the continental United States, a senior defense official said on Thursday.

The Pentagon has been tracking the balloon for several days as it made its way over the northern United States, Pentagon spokesman Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder said.

“We are confident that this high-altitude surveillance balloon belongs to the [People’s Republic of China],” a senior defense official said.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/02/politics/us-tracking-china-spy-balloon/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

They have much better ways to spy on us I’m sure they are sending a message kinda like saying we have an eye on you.they are feeling a bit threatened at the moment with the new bases in the south China seas improving the base in Guam ect ect

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tug said:

They have much better ways to spy on us I’m sure they are sending a message kinda like saying we have an eye on you.they are feeling a bit threatened at the moment with the new bases in the south China seas improving the base in Guam ect ect

While American spy satellites...  you know the rest

7 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Why don't they just shoot it down?

It's what every other country does (or tries to do) whenever the US flies over their terrority!

I think the main reason is because of the shrapnel that might land.  I know the White House has indicated that shooting it down was on the table. 

Here's a link about a little that is going on with the balloon:

Why would China use a spy balloon when it has satellites?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-64508086

• Thanks 1

I just watched a pentagon briefing on this im wondering how a balloon ( maneuvers) they indicated it could maneuver pop a few holes in it (over an unpopulated area)imo chinas pushing it a bit imo we shouldn’t just let it slide

The balloon was shot down, I am very curious of what kind of cameras and instruments were hanging from this balloon.  I am not surprised that China is angry for the balloon to be shot down. It is not like they would shoot down a balloon if it drifted across China.

Ha ha ha. Right.

On 2/3/2023 at 6:04 PM, Tug said:

I just watched a pentagon briefing on this im wondering how a balloon ( maneuvers) they indicated it could maneuver pop a few holes in it (over an unpopulated area)imo chinas pushing it a bit imo we shouldn’t just let it slide

The balloons are navigated by taking advantage of the different wind directions at different altitudes.

Piloting the ballon up and down through these altitudes enables directional changes.