‘High chance’ of mass shooting in Hollywood was prevented, police say

Scott

Accident or crime scene cordon tape

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A “high chance” of a mass shooting in Hollywood has been thwarted by police seizing a cache of guns and ammunition in a high-rise apartment where several rifles were pointed toward a nearby park, the Los Angeles Police Department said.

Braxton Johnson was taken into custody Tuesday after he allegedly made violent threats involving weapons to security staff at the apartment building and people outside, the agency said Wednesday.

Police searched Johnson’s apartment and found two assault rifles and high-capacity ammunition magazines, all of which are illegal in California, as well as three handguns, a sniper rifle, a shotgun and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/high-chance-of-mass-shooting-in-hollywood-was-prevented-police-say

PBS: Public Broadcasting Service

How soon before he's out of jail ?

Possession of illegal firearm should be life in jail, no parole.  

When the time fits the crime (potential to kill) ... maybe they'll think before violating the law.  Possession of illegal firearm ... doubt he'll do much more than 1-3 yrs ... IF that.

Googling ... and yea, California's revolving door prison system.   What a joke:

"Unlawful firearm possession can result in up to $10,000 in fines and up to 3 years in jail "

https://www.tarmanlaw.com/criminal-defense/gun-possession/#:~:text=Unlawful firearm possession can result,you need a good defense.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

How soon before he's out of jail ?

Possession of illegal firearm should be life in jail, no parole.  

When the time fits the crime (potential to kill) ... maybe they'll think before violating the law.  Possession of illegal firearm ... doubt he'll do much more than 1-3 yrs ... IF that.

Googling ... and yea, California's revolving door prison system.   What a joke:

"Unlawful firearm possession can result in up to $10,000 in fines and up to 3 years in jail "

https://www.tarmanlaw.com/criminal-defense/gun-possession/#:~:text=Unlawful firearm possession can result,you need a good defense.

What makes you think you'll only be charged with illegal possession of firearms? Let me give you a hint: why was his apartment searched in the first place?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

What makes you think you'll only be charged with illegal possession of firearms? Let me give you a hint: why was his apartment searched in the first place?

Because he made threats to staff, per news-blip, and that's enough for probable cause, especially if he said he'd shoot someone.

Problem is, when they sentence people, it's usually concurrent.   Best one could hope for, is he also gets a federal charge, since carries higher penalty.   But California likes being anti-Fed.  

You know, that sanctuary city / state BS.

Anything less than a minimum 10 yr stretch is a joke.  Be nice if they gave him 3 yrs for each firearm, and not concurrent sentence.  If all were illegal firearms, that would be 21 yrs (7 firearms).

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Problem is, when they sentence people, it's usually concurrent.

Is that right? I thought a lot had been given consecutive sentences in the States, or would that just be for the more heinous crimes that had actually been committed rather than caught before they could?

8 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Is that right? I thought a lot had been given consecutive sentences in the States, or would that just be for the more heinous crimes that had actually been committed rather than caught before they could?

If they don't want them to ever get out, and there's no mandatory long sentence, then they do the consecutive thingy.  Try to tack on as many years as possible.

Depends how many of those firearms were illegal, and legality of probable cause to search.   Worse case scenario would be just the 2 semi autos & mags were illegal, with iffy search.   Then prosecution might take the easy win, and drop it to a misdemeanor, and he'd get 1 yr ... ????

That would suck:

"Some individuals who illegally possess a firearm in California may be subject to misdemeanor charges. These charges can include up to $1,000 in fines and no more than a year spent in county jail."

https://www.simmrinlawgroup.com/faqs/how-much-jail-time-do-you-get-for-possession-of-a-gun-in-california/#:~:text=Some individuals who illegally possess,year spent in county jail.

We'll never know, as never follow up news-blips, especially if gets a lite sentence.

• Like 2

@KhunLA Thanks for the info, a "misdemeanour" should deter everyone ... not! Had a quick look and guessing my initial impression was likely based on high-profile cases I'd probably heard of over the years. Some heavy sentences, rightfully so, listed here and the US features prominently https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_prison_sentences. I particularly like the sentence the sick <deleted> Lopez ended up with after rejecting 13 and 22 year plea deal offers - 1503 years (assuming he is guilty as charged obviously).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Problem is, when they sentence people, it's usually concurrent.   Best one could hope for, is he also gets a federal charge, since carries higher penalty.   But California likes being anti-Fed.  

You know, that sanctuary city / state BS.

"California likes being anti-Fed"?  Really? Just because they opposed the Trump administration's enforcement polices that makes them anti-Fed? That's nonsense. California has very strict gun control laws. They're not going to oppose federal involvement. Clearly, you're just using this case because you have an axe to grind against California's progressive politics. You've got nothing.

• Thanks 1

Until the NRA is rid of its powerful position, and the people of the USA realize that no one need dozens of guns, nothing will change. The country has the most mass killings, as well as yearly murders. That is nothing to be proud of. I do not expect anything to change in my life time or the next few life times of the young people.

11 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

The country has the most mass killings, as well as yearly murders. That is nothing to be proud of. I do not expect anything to change in my life time or the next few life times of the young people.

Far from it, per capita, per wiki:

20201023_UNODC_Intentional_homicides_by_country_-_highest_rates_and_most_populous_countries.png

Edited by KhunLA

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Far from it, per capita, per wiki:

20201023_UNODC_Intentional_homicides_by_country_-_highest_rates_and_most_populous_countries.png

Interesting graph, although some countries not on it. What is appalling is that most of the countries with the higher homicide rates are in central America and the Caribbean. What is the common factor? I am sure  supply of illegal drugs to the USA is a major factor. And where do the guns come from? Drugs, guns, USA. A toxic combination.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/4/2023 at 10:53 AM, placeholder said:

"California likes being anti-Fed"?  Really? Just because they opposed the Trump administration's enforcement polices that makes them anti-Fed? That's nonsense. California has very strict gun control laws. They're not going to oppose federal involvement. Clearly, you're just using this case because you have an axe to grind against California's progressive politics. You've got nothing.

Great police work! 
Instead of childish ranting on this "California likes being anti-Fed."

You could have agreed with this "Anything less than a minimum 10 yr stretch is a joke.  Be nice if they gave him 3 yrs for each firearm, and not concurrent sentence.  If all were illegal firearms, that would be 21 yrs (7 firearms)."

You also left that out when you copied the post to rant. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Great police work! 
Instead of childish ranting on this "California likes being anti-Fed."

You could have agreed with this "Anything less than a minimum 10 yr stretch is a joke.  Be nice if they gave him 3 yrs for each firearm, and not concurrent sentence.  If all were illegal firearms, that would be 21 yrs (7 firearms)."

You also left that out when you copied the post to rant. 

How exactly was my comment "childish ranting"?How does pointing out obvious sloppy thinking qualify as a rant? Is "California likes being anti-Fed" a valid statement?

On the other hand, your over-the-top characterizations of my comment does qualify as ranting. 

Nor am I obliged to give attention to everything in someone's comments. khunla basically raised 2 points. I chose to address one of them. 

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

How exactly was my comment "childish ranting"?How does pointing out obvious sloppy thinking qualify as a rant? Is "California likes being anti-Fed" a valid statement?

On the other hand, your over-the-top characterizations of my comment does qualify as ranting. 

Nor am I obliged to give attention to everything in someone's comments. khunla basically raised 2 points. I chose to address one of them. 

Actually you're on my ignore list, but still beating that dead horse, as you do, and why on list.  California is a sanctuary state, means they ignore federal laws if they don't agree with them.  Pretty simple to understand even for you.

They allow criminals to enter the state, and won't turn them over to federal authorities if they don't want to.  

Does that qualify as Anti-Fed ???

Take your time, don't hurt yourself.

And you really have to stop blaming everything on Trump.  Ineffective president for 4 years, and the country has had 235 ish years to get to the state it's in today.  It's not his fault.

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Actually you're on my ignore list, but still beating that dead horse, as you do, and why on list.  California is a sanctuary state, means they ignore federal laws if they don't agree with them.  Pretty simple to understand even for you.

They allow criminals to enter the state, and won't turn them over to federal authorities if they don't want to.  

Does that qualify as Anti-Fed ???

Take your time, don't hurt yourself.

Well, unless someone quotes this, you're not going to see the answer. As I previously pointed out, the non-cooperation of California was about the Trump administration immigration policies. It has noting to do with other aspects of Federal policy. And the Trump administration has been defunct for over 2 years. It was clear from your other comments that you were making this false point because of your general dislike of California's policies. It is ridiculous to claim that California is in opposition to the polices of the Federal govt when Joe Biden is President. It's even more ridiculous to claim that California, which has very strict gun control laws, would be somehow opposed to the Federal govt taking action in a case like this.

4 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Set up an alert. notify yourself

Don't care what happens in CA or USA.   Just tire of reading some folks with little real knowledge of the USA, justice system, laws and more importantly, enforcement.

Plenty of firearm laws, but with a revolving prison door policy, what's the point.  You got 1 million or so criminals entering the southern border now per year, since Trumps policy has been rescinded. They get court date, and most disappear.  And if they go to CA, ICE can't even enforce the laws and apprehend & deport them.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Don't care what happens in CA or USA.   Just tire of reading some folks with little real knowledge of the USA, justice system, laws and more importantly, enforcement.

Plenty of firearm laws, but with a revolving prison door policy, what's the point.  You got 1 million or so criminals entering the southern border now per year, since Trumps policy has been rescinded. They get court date, and most disappear.  And if they go to CA, ICE can't even enforce the laws and apprehend & deport them.

Seem to be expending a whole lot of effort for "dont care."

I suppose you need to keep busy somehow. 

9 minutes ago, n00dle said:

You ignored the main point, mass shootings.

https://wisevoter.com/country-rankings/mass-shootings-by-country/

massshootings.jpg

Most mass shootings are gang bangers & drug turf wars, as rickudon pointed out the obvious.  For me, gang bangers taking each other out, that's a win win, as long as nobody caught in crossfire.

If look at FBI stats, random shooting are rare, most people murdered by husband, wife or acquaintance.   Moral ... don't Pisss people off.

Had this discussion over & over, with links & stats, and yet, people still spew the same falsehoods.

Have a nice day.

Peace Out

Edited by KhunLA