New passport

12 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday

When he applies for the next extension , does immigration accept or does he need to present

The embassy letter?

Wbr

Roobaa01

Nope!

When applying for passport from WITHIN Thailand then YES.

If getting a Passport outside from Thailand NO

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Use both passports to enter the country.

They will use your re-entry permit in the old passport to stamp you into the country.

Don't have any concerns, passport officers on arrival handle this easily, no issues, every day.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MJCM said:

You are right, but DO check upon leaving the DESK that they stamped the NEW passport and not the OLD one. Always a good idea to check.

As you probably read in other posts, I reside close to the Laos border and will be looking at renewing mine in Laos, would the same apply, e.g. when re-entering Thailand from Laos with the new passport on a single re-entry permit in my old passport, should I get immigration to stamp my new passport ?

Also from what I understand, there would be no need for a letter from embassy as it's outside of Thailand  ?

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

As you probably read in other posts, I reside close to the Laos border and will be looking at renewing mine in Laos, would the same apply, e.g. when re-entering Thailand from Laos with the new passport on a single re-entry permit in my old passport, should I get immigration to stamp my new passport ?

Also from what I understand, there would be no need for a letter from embassy as it's outside of Thailand  ?

You always should get Immigration (upon arrival in Thailand) have them stamp the NEW passport, the OLD passport has been made invalid and they won't (shouldn't) stamp that.

On your 2nd question

Is there an Embassy or a Consulate or ... of your Country in Laos.

For example, my Home Country doesn't have an Embassy or Consulate in Laos (also Cambodia) they only have a "representative" so my Passport would come via the Embassy in Bangkok,

If it comes via a Real Embassy, then AFAIK NO letter needed, if it comes via a "representative" I would email the Bangkok Embassy and ask.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MJCM said:

Nope!

When applying for passport from WITHIN Thailand then YES.

If getting a Passport outside from Thailand NO

Not strictly true, I did not get 'a letter' with my new OZ pp in Thailand, just a stamp in my old one. No problem at Immigration or Banks when I showed up with both, and I put the new number in myself.

2033907881_IMG_20220809_142014(2).thumb.jpg.008de2d5a992114659bba250faf8730d.jpg

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not strictly true, I did not get 'a letter' with my new OZ pp in Thailand, just a stamp in my old one. No problem at Immigration or Banks when I showed up with both, and I put the new number in myself.

2033907881_IMG_20220809_142014(2).thumb.jpg.008de2d5a992114659bba250faf8730d.jpg

Different Embassy different rules

My Embassy even asks if I want the Letter. No stamp given.

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Different Embassy different rules

My Embassy even asks if I want the Letter. No stamp given.

I presumed the OP "coming back from Australia" had an OZ passport, which is why I posted a Picture from an AUSRALIAN PP. jeez

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

You always should get Immigration (upon arrival in Thailand) have them stamp the NEW passport, the OLD passport has been made invalid and they won't (shouldn't) stamp that.

On your 2nd question

Is there an Embassy or a Consulate or ... of your Country in Laos.

For example, my Home Country doesn't have an Embassy or Consulate in Laos (also Cambodia) they only have a "representative" so my Passport would come via the Embassy in Bangkok,

If it comes via a Real Embassy, then AFAIK NO letter needed, if it comes via a "representative" I would email the Bangkok Embassy and ask.

Laos has an embassy there, I have been once before when I needed to have them stamp some docs for back home.