Replacing 220VAC-12VDC transformers for lighting

Encid

Simple job right?

Two of our 12V LED downlights went out and I finally got around to checking them out... it seems that we had rats in the roof cavity.

I thought I heard the pitter-patter of little feet on the ceiling (uninsulated), and sure enough examples of their hungry teeth chewing through the plastic insulation on the LV wiring was evident.

20230205_133951.thumb.jpg.a6fc02cffdbfec2458e9ef8ecf26261e.jpg

It's a good thing that most Thai houses have roof trusses made of steel... otherwise a fire could have resulted.

Get rid of your transformer driven downlighters and get some 220v screw in RGB bulbs for about Bht 150 each. Colour, brightness, shade, schedule and on/off controllable from your phone, PC app or Fire stick.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Get rid of your transformer driven downlighters and get some 220v screw in RGB bulbs for about Bht 150 each. Colour, brightness, shade, schedule and on/off controllable from your phone, PC app or Fire stick.

Yes.  What he said.

You can get 220v LED bulbs and throw away the transformers.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Setup Alexa while you're at it. Control ac tv fan radio lights etc with simple voice commands.

Or a Fire TV stick will do it without mentioning HER name. Google needs 'HEY GOOGLE'

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, KannikaP said:

My house has 50 working transformer driven LED downlights (formerly halogen).

In 15 years we have only had 2 transformers fail due to rodents.

I have had to replace the LV connectors maybe 6-8 times in 15 years due to rodents.

We turn on/off all lights using wall mounted switches.

Alexa or Google?

And have to carry my phone everywhere with me all the time?

Just to turn on the ensuite night light when I need to take a leak at 3am and wake the missus up?

Not likely!

You might be able to get 220v screw in RGB bulbs for about Bht 150 each, but they will need a light housing of some kind too won't they?

At additional cost of course.

I spotted some 220V LED downlights at HomePro... so to replace all my transformer driven LED downlights with these would cost me 17,450 baht.

Not likely!

image.png.d25eac510f02ab13d034cf0d09688eab.png

17 hours ago, Encid said:

Alexa or Google?

And have to carry my phone everywhere with me all the time?

You can have a dedicated device such as Echo show 5 sitting in your room. You do need constant internet connection. You don't need to use your phone. I wish it was magically perfect but there are limitations. Btw, you can still flick switches as well. It's just something in the background that allows you to say Alexa lights off when half dead in bed from hangover and can't be bothered walking 10 steps away.