Bangkok To Phuket

bignige

My wife and I are coming to Thailand mid September and want to fly Bang-Phuket. Any tips from locals would be most welcome---are there any Thai airline specials operating or any good agents to recommend? Am also looking for superior accommodation but plan to do this through last minute unless anyone can suggest any better alternative. Any help most appreciated :o

Before you book anything, make sure you know what airport you will be flying out of.

Asiana and Thai are Star Alliance members so it is sometimes easier to connect to them if you are coming from a Star Alliance member international flight. (You also get points.)

Thai is by far the most expensive and unless you are connecting from an international flight, its schedule is horrible from BKK to HKT.

Some of the "low cost" airlines charge heavily if you are in excess of their baggage allowance and the transfer of bags on connecting flights may not go smoothly.

Remember that you can usually get a very good deal on a discover Thailand pass or connecting flight with Thai if you buy the ticket before you arrive. Some of the airfare deals are only available to foreign travelers.

BTW, wear comfortable walking shoes, it's a hike between some of the connecting gates.

Edited by geriatrickid

My wife and I are coming to Thailand mid September and want to fly Bang-Phuket. Any tips from locals would be most welcome---are there any Thai airline specials operating or any good agents to recommend? Am also looking for superior accommodation but plan to do this through last minute unless anyone can suggest any better alternative. Any help most appreciated :o

Whilst you are checking flights etc also check the baggage allowance that the budget airlines allow as some are 15kg and others 20kg.

12 hours in a bus !!!!!! I don't think so.... :D

Aircraft safety should be Ok. Thailand's air safety record is quite good. Not 100%, but no better than many other countries.

Each to his own... who asked you? :o

My wife and I are coming to Thailand mid September and want to fly Bang-Phuket. Any tips from locals would be most welcome---are there any Thai airline specials operating or any good agents to recommend? Am also looking for superior accommodation but plan to do this through last minute unless anyone can suggest any better alternative. Any help most appreciated :D

Good advice! book all your flights in your home counrty, and plan your holiday around them, this will ensure connections AND you will be sure to be at the correct airport at the correct time ie Bangkok----- :o

Yes if you are going to fly to Phuket, you should find it cheaper to just buy your 'plane ticket to Phuket flying Thai or one of the Star Alliance partners (Thai is a member, so if you fly with a SA member, they will connect you with Phuket by Thai or some other SA member). Seems to me that you need to speak to a travel agent, because you should be able to get the ticket for little (or perhaps nothing) more than the cost of a return to BKK - and you can stop over. I return to my original post - have you done any research at all?

As to the bus suggestion, I admit it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, and you wouldn't want to be jumping on the bus directly from a flight, but they are comfortable air-con coaches. Many people do the bus thing (but I admit I wouldn't do it myself for that distance - and trains don't come down Phuket way unfortunately).

Re accom, there is a plethora of websites - start with a simple Google for 'accommodation Phuket'. In most cases (despite their 'special internet price' spiel), you will get the same price walk-in as their best internet offer and sometimes slightly better. Some places that have a reputation and established repeat clientele can be heavily booked even during low season - but this applies to few places and you will have no trouble finding digs if you simply 'arrive'. From Phuket airport, take a taxi (or the limousine service has a booking desk near the exit) but avoid a mini bus and don't be side-tracked into any 'offers for cheap accom' - you will be ripped-off. Get them to deliver you to your first choice of accom and if there is any problem with the driver, tell him you ar booked and have paid deposit.

If you do your research by internet, you will know the accom places you want to conside and should have it narrowed down to a first choice with a couple of back-ups. Like everything else, people's ideas of accom is very subjective (one man's rubbish, etc) and you need a place to suit you and your wife.

There. I have led you to the water...