Why are the Tourist Visa applications in Vietnam now a poor experience?

After reading the recent experience by bigqueso26 at the once friendly Hanoi Consulate for a Tourist Visa I looked at the other once friendly Consulate in Vietnam, HCMC - Below is their most recent reviews on Google Maps. It seems that similar to Hanoi recently the experience at this Consulate has also changed.

I took a look at the appointment system - The next available appointment 16th March 2023 (37 days advance booking required).

Has Vietnam Tourist Visa applications for Thailand undergone some known change that has caused the experience to be so different?

Google Reviews:

1 Star ------- 21 hours ago NEW

Worst place I've ever been in my whole life. The guy refused to answer sinple quoestions like "Is it possible to get a visa for three months?" or "What is the fee for a visa?" He simply doesn't answer. He showed me a piece of paper with a website of the vietnamese government, which, as I noticed now, doesn't work. Unfortunately I could not give 0 stars.

1 Star ------- 6 days ago NEW

DO NOT COME HERE TO EXPEDITE OR APPLY FOR A VISA.

This place is a complete disaster. No one working - like, at all. As in, no one is even physically there (even during their own posted hours on the service window). After 1 hour of waiting for someone to arrive, a very rude and unhelpful man arrived. He did not greet me.

The only thing he did do was to point at a printed piece of paper, which had the website to the online visa application. Then, he walked away without saying a word, despite another person in line behind me, who was actively talking to him.

This is an embarrassing way to welcome visitors. I cancelled my 2-week trip to Vietnam because of this place and will never look back.✌️

1 Star ------- 6 days ago NEW

They are useless. And very rude.

1 Star ------- a week ago NEW

Worst service ever, they literally don’t care at all.

They don’t even look at you or anything.

Avoid this place, do your visa with time ahead, and online.

1 Star ------- a week ago NEW

Honestly don't bother, try online or any other embassy anywhere. 2 applications and an embassy visit and still nothing. Take your money to another country.

1 Star ------- 2 weeks ago NEW

ridiculous, chaotic, unorganized, unfriendly and most staff doesn't speak and ignoring You

1 Star ------- 2 weeks ago NEW

Unbelievable. They never replied to any of my emails or picked up the phone calls. The website is not useful and it’s impossible to reach them online or via calls.

1 Star ------- a month ago

Very poor quality of staff , we were at the embassy at 10 am  & no staff at the counter until 11 am .

When one gentleman came out, he is very rude & should not be working at the counter. Very disappointing to see someone behave like that. Whoever in charge should consider to review their performance.

1 Star ------- a month ago

Very bad service, no answer the phone call, open 30 minutes late, and the staff of tourist visa counter is helpless and very rude.

Edited by spambot
typo

I must admit that those reviews seem strange. Did the people who posted them have appointments? I am not trying to defend the surly officials, but I have a feeling that part of the problem is people arriving without appointments and expecting to make applications.

Friend recently went to Kuala Lumpur.  Got to the Thai Embassy, they said he had to get an appointment.  The appointments were online only and access is only granted at 12:01am.  Next appointment was in a month.  Wasted days & wasted nights & wasted money. 

14 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

Friend recently went to Kuala Lumpur.  Got to the Thai Embassy, they said he had to get an appointment

No forward planning.

Appointment required at Saigon and Vientiane to name just a couple. 

Also to note they often weeks + in advance booked out.

No appointment at Savannakhet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, spambot said:

Has Vietnam Tourist Visa applications for Thailand undergone some known change that has caused the experience to be so different?

OP, you are over thinking it.

Be aware of what is required.

Do research etc etc.

Read the first two reviews and they seem the typical western ignorant folk.

The type that give one star to guesthouse in Saigon because the staff didn't understand English.

Next time they need bring mummy. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I must admit that those reviews seem strange. Did the people who posted them have appointments? I am not trying to defend the surly officials, but I have a feeling that part of the problem is people arriving without appointments and expecting to make applications.

One of the reviews (not copied on the post) from 2 months ago identifies a very protective door guard that only allows 2 people inside at any time and before getting access visitors need to show their confirmation of appointment. All these reviews seem to have gained access to the Consulate and hence all reviews presumably had appointments. 

6 minutes ago, spambot said:

All these reviews seem to have gained access to the Consulate and hence all reviews presumably had appointments.

They require appointment.

Not optional.

Also office very small and from their perspective makes sense to have people wait outside. 

6 hours ago, spambot said:

One of the reviews (not copied on the post) from 2 months ago identifies a very protective door guard that only allows 2 people inside at any time and before getting access visitors need to show their confirmation of appointment

I almost call this out as scaremongering.

There are other review sites.

The two people allowed in at a time controlled by door clerk is now standard.

You choose to use the word "protective". 

Do you think the door guy made up this requirement.

Makes perfect sense to me given appointments required.

Get your paperwork in order and job done.

I have since read many reviews and some are bunch of rubbish.

One guy with complete inadequate paperwork and boxing with immigration on the basis of visa exempt to thailand so simple why visa difficult. Didn't even have flight into Thailand to provide.

Just another looney tune. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

was reading on their website (Royal Thai Consulate-General in Ho Chi Minh City)

BEFORE APPLYING THE VISA

When the applicant arrives at the gate, no appointment is required for visa application. Please be in the queue.

15 minutes ago, vinci said:

was reading on their website (Royal Thai Consulate-General in Ho Chi Minh City)

BEFORE APPLYING THE VISA

When the applicant arrives at the gate, no appointment is required for visa application. Please be in the queue.

Disregard. 

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Didn't even have flight into Thailand to provide.

Flights to and from Thailand are, indeed, a requirement. It is obviously pointless to turn up and complain about this. That said, there are people who like to visit multiple countries in South East Asia, travelling overland. It is unfortunate that they are unable to get tourist visas when planning to do so, especially if their nationality does not allow visa exempt entry.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Flights to and from Thailand are, indeed, a requirement. It is obviously pointless to turn up and complain about this. That said, there are people who like to visit multiple countries in South East Asia, travelling overland. It is unfortunate that they are unable to get tourist visas when planning to do so, especially if their nationality does not allow visa exempt entry.

Some of them arrange their tourist visas in advanced, while they still are in their home country.

23 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Some of them arrange their tourist visas in advanced, while they still are in their home country.

... where there is also often the requirement for flights into and out of Thailand (admittedly, may not always be enforced).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

I don't see that as a real problem in itself, as you can buy cheap throwaway tickets, or tickets that allow changes without charge. It's a nonsensical requirement alright, but there are workarounds. 

Edited by Caldera

The reviews posted appear to be for getting a Vietnam tourist visa at a Vietnam embassy, not for getting a Thai visa in Vietnam.  Why would someone cancel a 2 week trip to Vietnam if they were already in Vietnam and applying for a Thai visa?

On 2/7/2023 at 10:16 AM, spambot said:

This is an embarrassing way to welcome visitors. I cancelled my 2-week trip to Vietnam because of this place and will never look back.

And, why would a Thai consulate give the website of the Vietnamese government to someone applying for a Thai visa?

He simply doesn't answer. He showed me a piece of paper with a website of the vietnamese government, which, as I noticed now, doesn't work.

8 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

The reviews posted appear to be for getting a Vietnam tourist visa at a Vietnam embassy, not for getting a Thai visa in Vietnam.

The reviews are rubbish.

Similar poor reviews can be found on various sites.

One comes to mind of a chap presenting with very little for his application by way of the clear required documents. 

Then throws hissy fit. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The reviews are rubbish.

Similar poor reviews can be found on various sites.

One comes to mind of a chap presenting with very little for his application by way of the clear required documents. 

Then throws hissy fit. 

Rubbish reviews or not, the point I was making is that they have nothing to do with the OPs own topic of applying for a Thai visa in the HCMC consulate. 

Threads can go off topic very quickly around here, but it must be some sort of record for the OP to go off his own topic in his first post.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Rubbish reviews or not, the point I was making is that they have nothing to do with the OPs own topic of applying for a Thai visa in the HCMC consulate. 

Threads can go off topic very quickly around here, but it must be some sort of record for the OP to go off his own topic in his first post.

I would agree with your assessment, and this line also supports your view.

"Avoid this place, do your visa with time ahead, and online."

Vietnam is not on the Thai E-visa platform but you can get a visa online for Vietnam.

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 1

...He showed me a piece of paper with a website of the vietnamese government...

The text quoted above makes this topic about applications for a tourist visa at Thai consulates in Vietnam incomprehensible.

Topic noe closed.