Thai foodies up in arms as popular curry named one of the worst dishes in the world

webfact

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

They’re not wrong !!... It's pretty awful stuff (IMO).

I’m sure there will be a wider general response of ‘They not thai, they not know’ !!!.... its par for the course for thin skinned people to get upset a the slightest of critical comments, so this is sure to upset some. 

The reality is though, a lot of Thai food is wonderful, the Khao Soi example just one of them... So, take the rough with the smooth, we all have different tastes. 

Is this the dish served with rice in southern parts of Thailand?

4 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

As a Canuck I would really like to know what pizza cake is. Never heard of it. Maybe because it's so bad?? hehe

Born and raised in Montreal. Spent the '50's, 60's and 70's there, after which wandered elsewhere. Sometime in the '90's (maybe) started hearing of a famous French Canadian dish... poutine. Never saw it or heard of it when living in Montreal; a city known for its cuisine.. so many good things to eat... Ben's smoked meat, St. Hubert BBQ, and great pizza from Mob owned joints. Guess I'll go to my grave never having know the delight of eating poutine or pizza cake.

5 minutes ago, mohinga said:

St. Hubert BBQ,

pre cook desired amount of chicken breasts. cut up into smaller pieces.

1 casserole 

chicken pieces

mixed vegetables

1 or 2 cans of st hubert bbq

shredded chedder over the entire dish

cover with tinfoil

place in oven at 350 for 60 minutes. 

Maybe they sampled Gaeng som from a "Thai" restaurant in Boston....

After checking the list, gaeng som is not longer there. At #12 is balut, an embyonic duck egg, to be eating from the shell!

This list is ridiculous, anyway. Much aversion to various blood sausages, plus bland American icons such as Jello and Cheez Whiz. Australia is not ignored - two mentions of Vegemite.

Edited by placnx
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mohinga said:

Born and raised in Montreal. Spent the '50's, 60's and 70's there, after which wandered elsewhere. Sometime in the '90's (maybe) started hearing of a famous French Canadian dish... poutine. Never saw it or heard of it when living in Montreal; a city known for its cuisine.. so many good things to eat... Ben's smoked meat, St. Hubert BBQ, and great pizza from Mob owned joints. Guess I'll go to my grave never having know the delight of eating poutine or pizza cake.

Poutine .. sounds like a great way to ruin an order of fries.   

Pizza cake  name alone deserves .. W T F

Not a fan of the 'fish soup', and how do you compare that to a kimchi anything.  People need to stop reading krap and just eat what they like.

3 hours ago, jaywalker said:

In Kuwait a few years back.

My Thai wife and her friends from all over SEA were cooking the stinkiest <deleted> I ever smelled.

I had quite the Hacienda & could smell it on the street! I took about 2 steps in the door & went back to my truck. Didn't say a word. I just went to the Sultan Center (like Tesco or Walmart) and bought 6 cans of air freshener.

She got the message = don't cook that nasty <deleted> around me!

I came in both barrels blazing with Potpouri in one hand and Pine Fresh Scent in the other, cussing vocifericously. 

You sound a hoot. She is so lucky.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

However, Thai foodies are puzzled by Kaeng Som’s ranking, pointing out that a similar dish, South Korea’s Kimchi Jjigae, received a high score of 4.5 and was not included in the list of 100 worst dishes.

Hardly puzzling...its just better according to those judging the foods.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Who cares? You like the soup, eat it. For most adults, we don't need the approval of the world. 

Water off a duck's back. For those with high enough self esteem, anyway. 

Too many are dependent on faux polls, surveys and rankings to subliminally direct their mindsets towards most anything - repeated loud and often enough, all becomes real. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, placnx said:

After checking the list, gaeng som is not longer there. At #12 is balut, an embyonic duck egg, to be eating from the shell!

This list is ridiculous, anyway. Much aversion to various blood sausages, plus bland American icons such as Jello and Cheez Whiz. Australia is not ignored - two mentions of Vegemite.

Love vegemite.

2 hours ago, placnx said:

I was wondering the same thing.

The Southern Thai style Kaeng Som I’ve had at some of the better restaurants in BKK has actually been quite good, IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, mohinga said:

Poutine is easy to find in Montreal. 

Montréal's best poutine | Tourisme Montréal (mtl.org)

I'm not surprised about the reaction to Kaeng Som. It's sour (and not sweet) and lots of people don't like sour foods. I happen to like sour and bitter but Kaeng Som isn't really a favorite of mine. The Thai foodie netizens should really get over themselves! 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

This Website is based in the country like Croatia!!!  enough said. In reality ,Thai cuisine is always in Top1- 7 in term of popularity in culturally-diversed English speaking country , USA ,UK ,Australia , NZ , Canada , South Africa , Ireland. That is good enough . 

Keang Som with shrimps at Sorn Deang( at Democracy Monument round-about) is one of the best!

Edited by Ratchsima
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1