Thai foodies up in arms as popular curry named one of the worst dishes in the world

webfact

9 hours ago, Celsius said:

Most of thai food is junk.

When it comes down to variation, Thai cuisine doesn’t have that much room for creativity. Since this cuisine is flavour rather than ingredient-base, you can’t stray off the path that has already been laid for you in the aged-old recipe otherwise people will find your flavour “off”. 

2 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

I can absolutely see most (all) farang hate this dish. Foreigners TBH don't like Thai food. It's therefore quite understandable they dislike Gaeng Som. It is also crazy spicy.

It needs to be made very authentication, quality ingredients and with grouper and seafood.

they do like Thai food, but most just eat pad thai, tom yum goong, khao pad/ sapparod and pad kra pao moo and believe they are Thai experts when it comes to the cuisine. they dare not tried the hard-core dishes and I can' say I blame them! ????

4 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Too many are dependent on faux polls, surveys and rankings to subliminally direct their mindsets towards most anything - repeated loud and often enough, all becomes real. 

I'm pretty sure people just generally eat what they like and no-one bases their dietary choices on "faux polls".

And amusing all the Thai food haters on here with the predictable "Thai food is junk" comments. Yawn. 

Personally I love most Thai foods but I really can't get with Kaeng Som, it's not for me at all. But who cares?

35 minutes ago, BayArea said:

When it comes down to variation, Thai cuisine doesn’t have that much room for creativity. Since this cuisine is flavour rather than ingredient-base, you can’t stray off the path that has already been laid for you in the aged-old recipe otherwise people will find your flavour “off”. 

You literally just copied and pasted that from Quora and posted it as your own opinion, that's one of the saddest things I have come across. Why would you do that?

https://www.quora.com/Is-Thai-food-overrated-or-is-it-all-down-to-the-taste-buds

And then you didn't include the last sentence, or the first one. Do you not have your own opinion?? Wow. Just wow.

image.png.292655858ee4a8009881d0173588011a.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

I can absolutely see most (all) farang hate this dish. Foreigners TBH don't like Thai food. It's therefore quite understandable they dislike Gaeng Som. It is also crazy spicy.

It needs to be made very authentication, quality ingredients and with grouper and seafood.

Gaeng som has so many variations. Freshwater fish are also popular combined with many different types of vegetable and fruit. I have never seen grouper in the markets of southern Thailand, the most popular would be Pla Kapong. If cooking at home you may also find pork and frog used. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

You literally just copied and pasted that from Quora and posted it as your own opinion, that's one of the saddest things I have come across. Why would you do that?

https://www.quora.com/Is-Thai-food-overrated-or-is-it-all-down-to-the-taste-buds

And then you didn't include the last sentence, or the first one. Do you not have your own opinion?? Wow. Just wow.

image.png.292655858ee4a8009881d0173588011a.png

All my responses are approved by @chatgpt. Hahaha

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

TBH, most foreigners love Thai food. Have you read the comments. It is only this dish that most foreigners including myself do not like 1/4 of the food I cook each month is Thai. Thai restaurants are crazy popular throughout the world. You'd be hard pressed to find just as many other SEA restaurants around the world, except maybe Vietnamese.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BayArea said:

About the same with every country. Only select people are fans of fusion food.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

TBH, most foreigners love Thai food. Have you read the comments. It is only this dish that most foreigners including myself do not like 1/4 of the food I cook each month is Thai. Thai restaurants are crazy popular throughout the world. You'd be hard pressed to find just as many other SEA restaurants around the world, except maybe Vietnamese.

Agreed. aside from Thai, Viet food is loved the world over esp. in the U.S., Australia and wherever the Viet diaspora happens to be (France, Germany, Czechia etc.) 

I never criticise any cuisine in any country. Obviously all local food is enjoyed by local people in any country. The problem is when some people develop what they consider is a "sophisticated palete", who think they have the final word on what is good or bad. These people can sod off. I don't need anyone telling me if I should enjoy a particular food or not.

Food critics, art critics, movie citics, music critics  - all telling us what is good and bad when all people already know what they like and don't like. These "sophisticated" people are insufferable snobs. If YOU like something, it's good. If YOU don't like something, it's bad - quite simple.

• Thanks 2

I like it.

Very much down to the cook, easy to make it taste nasty.

Last time I  had it in a sea food restaurant in  Bang Saray /Pattaya

it was just nasty.

Very hit and miss for this, even at the same restaurant.

But It still gets my vote. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Overall I do think Thai food is somewhat overrated but that could be a familiarity breeds contempt kind of thing. Yeah I get why it's popular internationally but I don't see how it rates compared to the best such as French, Chinese, Indian, etc.

my top choice in order is:

Viet

Italian

Mexican

Indian

Middle Eastern/ Mediterranean  

Mind you, my wife is Thai, but we hardly eat Thai food, and she normally cooks her Thai favorites which usually doesn't agree with me and the kids. ????

We eat plenty of Thai when in LOS and it satisfies my craving for a while. 

9 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

animal rectum tubes you see Esan people sit around and share. 

Yes, does give me a giggle most of the time, the locals deliberately offer the most nasty stuff to me at weddings and funerals !!!!! just to see what i will do,  of course i have a go, then, smile or frown.

much to there amusement. and always washed down with a shot of Lao Khaw. got to laugh.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai diners are reeling in shock as their beloved dish, Kaeng Som (Spicy-Sour Fish Curry) has been ranked 12th worst dish in the world by global food website, TasteAtlas. The popular Thai dish received a low score of 2.3 out of 5, which led to widespread disappointment and anger among Thai foodies.

How shocking, Thai cuisine not always universally accepted.

Get over it.

• Thumbs Up 2

It has an unusual flavor profile, sweet/sour/spicy, for western palates.

And it has to be made fairly carefully, adding the tamarind juice at just the right time after boiling. And many chefs/restos have different recipes, especially with regards to the prik kaeng

In twenty-years, as tastes change, this might end up being a top ten dish?

6 hours ago, curlylekan said:

No they don't. I work with teachers. I still visit national parks and see what farang eat. Lower Sukhumvhit is full of farang restaurant as Khao San not Thai.

It's too spicy, rice issues, smells, weird

7 hours ago, surat04 said:

Gaeng som has so many variations. Freshwater fish are also popular combined with many different types of vegetable and fruit. I have never seen grouper in the markets of southern Thailand, the most popular would be Pla Kapong. If cooking at home you may also find pork and frog used. 

South Thailand really only place to get grouper. Yeah, not easy to find bc like everything totally fished out

I dislike freshwater fish, soft. Usually bony.

Reminds me of youtubers and durian. They spend their time smelling the fruit and saying it's disgusting.

How about going with someone who knows their durian and experiencing the differences in taste, texture, creaminess etc between durians by reference to type and origin.

Think of it as a wine tasting.

And by the way... you don't nose a durian for its bouquet youtubers !

As my marketing prof back at uni said "ALL tastes are acquired".... I like cheese, yes it is rotten milk. Some western folks go yuck at termite egg soup, and the Thais fire back about beef... and if you go several months without eating, it does have a peculiar taste til you acclimatize. I've never had those French cuisine mainstays of snail and frog legs and have no plan to. I have eaten insects here (grubs) and somewhat like puff cheetos IMO