Gynecological Matters

Ave

Dear Cathyy, Sheryl and anyone knowledgeable like you who might be able to help me,

Cervical cancer is in my family history but so far we have fought it back quite well and survived. Although fortunately I have not had to deal with cancer yet, I have had small but reoccurring complications throughout my sexually active life.

Last year, back in Europe, I had a polip removed. Since then I have been having very frequent blood discharge, continuous urge to urinate, bloating feeling and permanent pain on my lower back.

I live in Pattaya but spend one or two weekends a month in Bangkok. I only have a couple of weeks holiday to find a good gynie either where I live or somewhere in Bangkok. I was out of work for a long time and my current income is quite modest, that's why I have not been able to have myself checked earlier.

I would be very grateful if you could recommend me a reliable gynecologist who doesn't charge too much. Man or woman, it doesn't really matter, as long as he/she's delicate, in every sense..

However, if the one you know charges a lot but is extremely good please let me know anyway. I realise that left it for far too long.

Thanks a lot

Edited by Ave

Hi Ave

I have been having some gyn problems too, and below is some advice I received from Sheryl re a gyno in bkk:

This link gives the qualifications of a really excellent gynecologist in Thailand

[/url]http://www.samitivej.co.th/samitivej_frontend/FindDoctor/DoctorDetail_en.aspx?DrID=11920221&Img=1

Dr. Panon has worked and trained in the west, specializes in gynecological oncology (but not exclusively) and spends lots of time explaining things and treats the patient as a partner in the medical decision-making process.

Ive not been to see Dr Panon yet, but I do trust Sheryls judgement in this.

Good Luck!

Hi Ave

I have been having some gyn problems too, and below is some advice I received from Sheryl re a gyno in bkk:

This link gives the qualifications of a really excellent gynecologist in Thailand

[/url]http://www.samitivej.co.th/samitivej_frontend/FindDoctor/DoctorDetail_en.aspx?DrID=11920221&Img=1

Dr. Panon has worked and trained in the west, specializes in gynecological oncology (but not exclusively) and spends lots of time explaining things and treats the patient as a partner in the medical decision-making process.

Ive not been to see Dr Panon yet, but I do trust Sheryls judgement in this.

Good Luck!

Thank you Donna for your advice.

Hi Ave, I've been offline for awhile so just saw your post. Do go see Dr. Panon at Samitivej hospital, and don't leave it off much longer. You may just have a urinary tract infection or fibroids, but it could also be something more serious and with a family history of cancer you should not take chances.

Do you happen to know if you have been exposed to HPV? Because if not, the vaccine is available now at Samitivej. If you are not sure of exposure they can test for it (should test as the vaccine is costly and won't help if already exposed...but well worth it if not).

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of further help

Hi Sheryl

It's very comforting to receive so much advice and support in this forum. Thank you for the extra info Sheryl.

Yes, I had HPV diagnosed about ten years ago, following a smear, a colposcopy and a biopsy. They did find a change in my cervical cells which showed a possible future appearance of warts but fortunately I never got them. I could have been exposed to HPV again in the last couple of years and I didn't know that there is an actual vaccine available. I hope to find out that I can take it..

thanks again!

Hi Ave, I've been offline for awhile so just saw your post. Do go see Dr. Panon at Samitivej hospital, and don't leave it off much longer. You may just have a urinary tract infection or fibroids, but it could also be something more serious and with a family history of cancer you should not take chances.

Do you happen to know if you have been exposed to HPV? Because if not, the vaccine is available now at Samitivej. If you are not sure of exposure they can test for it (should test as the vaccine is costly and won't help if already exposed...but well worth it if not).

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of further help

• 5 weeks later...

Just a note to say thank you so much for your precious advice. I have just been to see Dr Panon who is a delight to talk to and very clear in explaining everything. The visit which included a pap test, a urine test and consultation was costly, nearly 6000 Baht. A lot more than in Europe where I come from, but excellent service. He did mention the HPV vaccine but I guess that if it costs 5000 B a shot I'll have to find out if I can get it on the NHS..

Thanks again to Donna and Sheryl and good luck, Donna, with your next visit.

Ave, so glad you got to see the good doc! Hope all the test results end up in a diagnosis of nothing serious, but the family history and symptoms are worrying.

Don't even think about the HPV vaccine, it's only good if you have never been exposed, and you have been diagnosed as being exposed 10 years ago. It would be a sorry waste of money.

Thank you Cathyy, you are right. he did suggest a hysteroscopy as the polip I had removed was placed in the endometrium. i'll find out more next week...fingers crossed..

Ave, so glad you got to see the good doc! Hope all the test results end up in a diagnosis of nothing serious, but the family history and symptoms are worrying.

Don't even think about the HPV vaccine, it's only good if you have never been exposed, and you have been diagnosed as being exposed 10 years ago. It would be a sorry waste of money.

HPV is the human papilloma virus. It is a sexcually transmitted disease whiuch saffects both men and women. Infected men may be asyptomatic or may have genital warts. Infected women most often do not have obvious symptoms alth there my be warts, usually on the cervix where it will not be visible except upon internal examination.

The most serious consequence of HPV is that it can lead to cervical cancer in women. A vaccine has just been released and is recommended for all women who have bnot aready been infected by the virus. Ideally girls should receive it before they firsat become sexually active.

Thank you!

Sorry ladies, dont wish to intrude, but could you please explain what HPV is and how one can be exposed to whatever it is ?

Good luck Ave and I sincerely hope your test results put your mind at rest

HPV is the human papilloma virus. It is a sexcually transmitted disease whiuch saffects both men and women. Infected men may be asyptomatic or may have genital warts. Infected women most often do not have obvious symptoms alth there my be warts, usually on the cervix where it will not be visible except upon internal examination.

The most serious consequence of HPV is that it can lead to cervical cancer in women. A vaccine has just been released and is recommended for all women who have bnot aready been infected by the virus. Ideally girls should receive it before they firsat become sexually active.

I am back home in NZ at the moment .... is this something I should be investigating getting while I am here? Is it something that is being given to girls as standard practice in western countries? If it is an STD then it must mean you catch it from unsafe sex and therefore is preventable by being safe, right?