Visa Run Savannakhet - Thai family come to?

I posted this in the Loas forum but got zero replies...

Going on a 3,200km round trip drive (yes painfully long drive) to Savannakhet for a Non-O multi Spouse visa.

If my wife and two kids (all Thai) want come over the border to Savannakhet with me, do they needs Thai passports? its just my kids are 2 and 6 and so don't have Thai ID cards yet.

Thanks for any replies!

It should be possible to get border passes for your family. For the kids, their birth certificates should be sufficient to get the border passes. The border passes allow, as I recall, a three day (two night) stay in Savannakhet and they must return through the same crossing. There are limits to how far from the crossing they are allowed to stray.

My wife has come with me a few times, ID card is ok but have to stop in an office near the border crossing to get paperwork.

My 3 year old step daughter came once and we had a hard time at immigration because they wanted her natural father (who has never been in the picture) to give permission for her to leave the country ????

My wife eventually convinced them to allow it.

3 minutes ago, Windynoi said:

My wife has come with me a few times, ID card is ok but have to stop in an office near the border crossing to get paperwork.

My 3 year old step daughter came once and we had a hard time at immigration because they wanted her natural father (who has never been in the picture) to give permission for her to leave the country ????

My wife eventually convinced them to allow it.

Thanks, 

Did your 3 year old daughter have a Thai passport or just birth certificate?

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It should be possible to get border passes for your family. For the kids, their birth certificates should be sufficient to get the border passes. The border passes allow, as I recall, a three day (two night) stay in Savannakhet and they must return through the same crossing. There are limits to how far from the crossing they are allowed to stray.

thank you, do you know of anyone who only used their birth certificate?

49 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

thank you, do you know of anyone who only used their birth certificate?

It has been a very long time since I crossed the border with a Thai who needed a border pass. I would suggest you contact the Mukdahan provincial office to ensure the information I have given you is correct.

You could start with this link in Thai, using Google Translate if you, rather than your wife, is going to do the research.

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

It has been a very long time since I crossed the border with a Thai who needed a border pass. I would suggest you contact the Mukdahan provincial office to ensure the information I have given you is correct.

You could start with this link in Thai, using Google Translate if you, rather than your wife, is going to do the research.

thanks, that a very useful link