considered going to chiangmai for 2 months

miancina

So the best way is to travel from bkk to cm?

take a train? Can it be fun? or is 9 hours of hell?

Is there a huge price difference between plane and train?

How are the nights now...do you need a jacket? I have only 1 jacket and 1 nike pants...that is it....i was not preparing for cold weather...

is the pollution now at its worse?

1 minute ago, miancina said:

i think you are thinking with your small head, not with your big head....fun means not boring.....please be realistic....or are you living in a dream?

I wasn't thinking about sex and that wasn't what I meant , I find it quite fun and enjoyable just looking out train windows .

What doi you enjoy doing ?

BTW , the bus takes nine hours and the train takes about 14 hours and flights are cheap enough

• Like 1

If asking what you mean with fun is a strange question to you, I think you have little future on expat life and forums. That you automatically associate fun with potential erotic subjects, means you are actually the potential sexist in the room too.

Some people consider fun to be just good gyms and coworking spaces, other all care about golf courses, others indeed might just be looking for sleezy nightlife options and then again others might just wanna know all about the temples or roads in the mountains to ride with a bike. And so many more.

It is a essential question before being able to answer anything more, sensible, in detail. How you would travel, what areas would be likely most suitable and so on and on. I guess you are just a troll fake account anyway, otherwise you are seriously lost.

Actually see how short lived you are here, how little you posted, and how obvious it is you are a woke.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

31 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If asking what you mean with fun is a strange question to you, I think you have little future on expat life and forums. That you automatically associate fun with potential erotic subjects, means you are actually the potential sexist in the room too.

Some people consider fun to be just good gyms and coworking spaces, other all care about golf courses, others indeed might just be looking for sleezy nightlife options and then again others might just wanna know all about the temples or roads in the mountains to ride with a bike. And so many more.

It is a essential question before being able to answer anything more, sensible, in detail. How you would travel, what areas would be likely most suitable and so on and on. I guess you are just a troll fake account anyway, otherwise you are seriously lost.

Actually see how short lived you are here, how little you posted, and how obvious it is you are a woke.

but fun on a train?  do they have golf on the train? Coworking spaces? Maybe nightlife options? I was specific for train ride, is it fun, or a torture

3 minutes ago, miancina said:

but fun on a train?  do they have golf on the train? Coworking spaces? Maybe nightlife options? I was specific for train ride, is it fun, or a torture

If all these mentioned things are so obvious to you, and you had 2 cents of brains, you would know you can fly there for 1K baht in 1 hour. So what is your actual question?

All is obvious but you expect us to tell you that a 12-13 hour train ride, where you usually sleep over night at, is like a Harry Potter experience just because it goes from Bangkok to Chiang Mai?

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, miancina said:

How are the nights now...do you need a jacket?

That depends where you are coming from. If you are travelling from cold Europe than no - but if coming from a warmer place then yes.

I went up Doi Inthanonn (2565 metres)  once in December (having recenlty arrived from a colder place) and went up to the top in t-shirt, shorts and sandals.. The temperature was less than ten degrees. Thais were all wearing thick clothes including balaclavas. I thought, ooh it's a bit nippy up here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maincina, first of all just ignore the debased posters littering the site.

You'll be fine with just the one jacket, nights are still a little cool though for me a sweatshirt is good enough and I only wear shorts unless I’m riding the motorcycle early in the morning when it’s coolest.. Personally I’d just fly to CM, my personal preference. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some posts with inflammatory and insulting comments toward each other have been removed:

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

• Like 1

I took the sleeper to Chiang Mai from BK a few years ago and loved it.  I did all the research beforehand on this site so even though I was travelling on my own, it was easy. The toilets were a little bit of a shock but I managed ok! 

https://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

I'd like to do the day journey next time. You really get a sense of the countryside from a train and it's much more relaxed than traveling by bus or car. 

• Thanks 1

I was told that traveling on the train during the day can be fun, seeing the country etc Food sellers etc depends on your carriage.

I done it by bus, overnight, cheaper and okay. Go for the VIP bus.

CM is currently cooler in the evenings and mornings, I am older, so sweater and coat this morning! The AQI today is in the red! N95 mask.

Try to visit places outside CM, Mae Rim etc Restaurants in more Scenic settings than in CM, waterfalls etc

i

• Love It 1

11 hours ago, miancina said:

I've done the trip by train twice, and it's OK. You get a sleeper so at least half of the trip is spent sleeping, the rest is gazing out the window or reading a book. I've had a lot worse journeys, like a 12 hour trip in Vietnam by sleeper bus, that was a nightmare.

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, Dante99 said:

please move your comments to the "dude" forum, this forum is for adults 

Adults? Technically, perhaps, but this may be the time to say that I have rarely seen so much regrettably adolescent sneering and sniggering on any forum - and I used to be a moderator on an MMORPG ( look it up, old guys) with a couple of million players worldwide. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Chiang Mai is awesome, especially if ya like mountains and nature. I'm in CM now. Days are hot but less humid. 32c now, 16c this morning. Low 14c tomorrow morning and high is supposed to be 35c. Nights are still pleasantly cool. Bring a jacket cuz you may need it at night and especially if you do anything at elevation. Air quality has been OK but prob getting worse soon. Doesn't bother me enough to avoid or stay away, regardless how bad. 

I always stay in The Old City and there's plenty to do, see, eat and drink. The problem is almost everything shuts at midnight and most restaurants close at 9 or 10pm. Was at Renegades Sports Bar and Craft Beer last night and wanted to order food at 1030pm but the kitchen was already closed! Other areas may be different, but I like it in and around the Thapae Gate, Loi Kroh Road and The Moat. 

Train is fun if you're traveling with someone and get a 1st Class Sleeper. Flights are abundant, fast and cheap. I could easily spend 2 months. 5th trip up here in the past year and have spent a total of 55 days. Back home to Jomtien tomorrow. It's great up here and I highly recommend it. ????

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you like trains, then the journey is lovely. Leisurely and unhurried.

Lots of changing scenery after a time. Rivers to cross lots n lots of green countryside to watch go by. Slow, rhythmic, and last time we did (some years back now) a dining car of sorts.

1st class is my advice, and if you like a really comfy seat take a travel cushion and your neck flight pillow, a book (if you like reading) and you can have a snooze as you please.

The sleeper train to KL is great fun too.

5 hours ago, miancina said:

... 50 % of users here are nice, ready to help, but teh 50 % just frawn on users and try to provoke them all the time lol....

So, why are you paying attention to those who are "unhelpful" ?

19 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If all these mentioned things are so obvious to you, and you had 2 cents of brains, you would know you can fly there for 1K baht in 1 hour. So what is your actual question?

All is obvious but you expect us to tell you that a 12-13 hour train ride, where you usually sleep over night at, is like a Harry Potter experience just because it goes from Bangkok to Chiang Mai?

We need the laugh emoji.  

Private sleeper trains with a partner should be on everyone's bucket list.  

I thought the first reply was non sexual.  Basically very well said.  If the things you can do on a train are fun to you then you can have fun.  Reading, knitting, playing music,   there are night rides so you save a hotel room.  Day rides allow you to see the smog.