My wife blew up the CRV

Rimmer

We have two Honda CRVs  she was driving the older one back from the shops Monday when the engine quit on her, she managed to pull over and a kindly passing Thai in a pickup truck towed her to our regular mechanics workshop.

We went in yesterday to see what is happening,  as I suspected the engine is seized due to a catastrophic sudden burst of the main water inlet pipe to the engine, she says the warning lights came up and the engine seized all at the same time  mmmmmm.

Cost for a new engine around 30k, It's an old Honda CRV and needed replacing anyway, I wanted to buy her a new one for a year or more but she does not want a new one, she loves this car.

I also tried to tell her that we could sell that car to the workshop, he would fit a new engine at cost then re sell the car and make a profit and we could put the money toward a new car, Nope don't like new cars, don't like the smell of new cars inside them.....

So there we are, what would you do?  ????

• Like 2

Is it the k20 engine model, or the first generation 1.8? The engine swap is quite cheap actually. It will be a second hand motor but should be OK. They should give some kind of warranty with it. You won't get much for a non-functional car, so it probably needs fixing anyway. 

If its a k20, how about get a k24 from an accord and put it in? It would cost more but it would have more grunt. 

Edited by DavisH
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Is it the k20 engine model, or the first generation 1.8? The engine swap is quite cheap actually. It will be a second hand motor but should be OK. They should give some kind of warranty with it. You won't get much for a non-functional car, so it probably needs fixing anyway. 

If its a k20, how about get a k24 from an accord and put it in? It would cost more but it would have more grunt. 

I suspect its a 1.8 model it has the spare wheel outside on the tailgate

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Price of a new engine should only be about 10k. Are you neat Chiang Kong?

เซียงกงบางนา ซอย 4 บางพลี, Bang Phli District

10,000 bht for a new engine, have you a link for that....:cowboy:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Weeeeeeeeeeell Rim, you and I know repairing it is really a no-no if the cash is there for a new ride. With an old car, something else may/will pop up to drain the wallet.

So, what is the car worth in working order is the first question, what would the workshop offer for it as it is, then do the maths.

But alas, I have missed out the wifey element in the equation, so think I should have stayed quiet..........:guitar:...................:sorry:

• Love It 1

I guess it depends how rich you are. Pay 30k for a new one that they buy for 10k if you are comfortable with that. If you are a stingy Scotsman, buy a second hand engine for 5k, doesn't have to be a Honda, take it to the local technical college and ask the students there to fit it, giving the motor mechanic teacher a couple thousand baht to oversee. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

No, a second hand engine. Why put a new engine into an old car?

Why not put a new engine in an old car, I have fitted quite a few...????

Please be more precise in future, saves a lot of confusion...........:cowboy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

spend 3 million on a "new" car and put a big sticker "USED" on it.

sorted.

5555555555, another related car story and stickers

Niece bought a new car, unfortunately it was the wrong colour (she wanted a Pink one (because she was born on a Tuesday) but the car manufacturer didn't offer that car in Pink (strangely enough :whistling: ).

What she did was went into a Sticker Shop and had a sticker made and she put it on the car, this car is Pink it said :cheesy:

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

He was very precise. He said a new engine was 10,000 then backtracked when you called him on it

My apologies, was just trying to help. 

I won't bother next time.  

No backtracking at all. Can't you see I gave the name of a second hand car parts area of Bangkok?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

My apologies, was just trying to help. 

I won't bother next time.  

No backtracking at all. Can't you see I gave the name of a second hand car parts area of Bangkok?

That may have new engines in stock.....:cowboy:

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I guess it depends how rich you are. Pay 30k for a new one that they buy for 10k if you are comfortable with that. If you are a stingy Scotsman, buy a second hand engine for 5k, doesn't have to be a Honda, take it to the local technical college and ask the students there to fit it, giving the motor mechanic teacher a couple thousand baht to oversee. 

That's daft................????

• Like 1