Query about unsatisfactory toilet situation.

Toolong

11 hours ago, JAS21 said:

My toilet has a 20cm gap ..the rear is 7cm from the wall. So I didn’t have a big problem accessing the studs. 

Can you get your hand in to feel if it is bolted down …can you feel the two nuts.

I cannot say for sure BUT I think mine wasn’t bolted down initially.  it was just sitting on a bed of something like white cement …but it was actually a pink colour.

If your wife is dainty/thin boned ask he to put her hand in and feel around for the nuts. 

If  the plumber set it on a thick cement bed it will be reasonably easy, although time consuming, to chip out. Post a photo of where the pan joins the floor…if you can chip a bit out to show how close it is to the tiles …of course he might have glued it to the floor….

enjoy

image.jpeg.8a68a805f5d4c24a85872dd9bc00848b.jpeg

Have attached a photo. You'll see that it's a hell of a mess, due to the wire mesh taped around the opening to prevent the insects from coming in the bathroom....which they manage to do anyway!

So at the moment I can't really conveniently get my hand in there. However,  I do remember trying to do that before fitting the mesh and I'm pretty certain I couldn't reach in far enough to feel any bolts. If I had felt bolts, I feel sure I'd remember. So all in all, I'm starting to feel more certain that it really is a bolt/nut-free affair, with it plonked down onto cement of some kind. 

Fortunately, I have an old chisel fit for the purpose of breaking through it when the time comes!

(PS: I'm no design expert, but I am astonished at how poorly thought out (imho) the designs are for most of the bathroom fittings in my house. In terms of ease of access, practicality, detachability & reattachability, etc. And they're not cheap! )

Thank you for attaching that photo of your own set up, by the way! ???? ????

Just now, Toolong said:

Have attached a photo. You'll see that it's a hell of a mess, due to the wire mesh taped around the opening to prevent the insects from coming in the bathroom....which they manage to do anyway!

So at the moment I can't really conveniently get my hand in there. However,  I do remember trying to do that before fitting the mesh and I'm pretty certain I couldn't reach in far enough to feel any bolts. If I had felt bolts, I feel sure I'd remember. So all in all, I'm starting to feel more certain that it really is a bolt/nut-free affair, with it plonked down onto cement of some kind. 

Fortunately, I have an old chisel fit for the purpose of breaking through it when the time comes!

(PS: I'm no design expert, but I am astonished at how poorly thought out (imho) the designs are for most of the bathroom fittings in my house. In terms of ease of access, practicality, detachability & reattachability, etc. And they're not cheap! )

Thank you for attaching that photo of your own set up, by the way! ???? ????

20230212_081345.jpg

20 minutes ago, Toolong said:

I'm pretty certain I couldn't reach in far enough to feel any bolts.

Take off the rectangular cover near the bottom of the toilet, on the side of the toilet, and you will likely find the bolts or where they should have been.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dante99 said:

Take off the rectangular cover near the bottom of the toilet, on the side of the toilet, and you will likely find the bolts or where they should have been.

Ok, I will do that. Got a feeling I might have tried that before, without success. But....even if so, I will try again anyway. 

Thanks, Dante! ????????????

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

For peace of mind and a hassle-free life, I'd be willing to pay for it! ????

The larger on that doesn’t have the eyes is AFIR a Moderna and about ฿24,000 it’s mainly used by SWMBO and she certainly likes it as does the supervisor ???? DEBFA225-09A7-4820-94CC-A6BBAA9D3B18.thumb.jpeg.959c63fb91d2230c204f202d62eea265.jpeg669B7353-FE60-4030-97F8-FA7632850DAE.thumb.jpeg.d858dbab3e4b298d339902307b8215d2.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Judging by that pic …you maybe should have a can of mozzy spray handy when you eventually get the pan out …also have something ready to seal the soil pipe …water in a plastic bag … rags etc BUT tie some string to whatever as you don’t want a bigger problem ie blocked pipe. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The larger on that doesn’t have the eyes is AFIR a Moderna and about ฿24,000 it’s mainly used by SWMBO and she certainly likes it as does the supervisor ???? DEBFA225-09A7-4820-94CC-A6BBAA9D3B18.thumb.jpeg.959c63fb91d2230c204f202d62eea265.jpeg669B7353-FE60-4030-97F8-FA7632850DAE.thumb.jpeg.d858dbab3e4b298d339902307b8215d2.jpeg

24k??!! Wow, now that's quite a 'throne' you've got there. 

And my goodness....it really does look like a very sturdy, handsome piece of kit. (Kit for the cat!)

And the plants do help to enhance the whole look. Nice! ????

(And PS: nah, I couldn't afford it. You can have the Rolls Royce of toilets, I'll have to make do with a Yaris! ????)

1 minute ago, JAS21 said:

Judging by that pic …you maybe should have a can of mozzy spray handy when you eventually get the pan out …also have something ready to seal the soil pipe …water in a plastic bag … rags etc BUT tie some string to whatever as you don’t want a bigger problem ie blocked pipe. ????

Thanks for the tips. I will be ready to do as you advise. ????

Will also remove any necklaces or loose coins/keys/pens in shirtpockets! (Yeah, I've known it happen!????)

As you say, a blocked pipe would really, really ruin my day! 

2 hours ago, Toolong said:

(And PS: nah, I couldn't afford it. You can have the Rolls Royce of toilets, I'll have to make do with a Yaris! ????)

It’s not even remotely close to the Rolls Royce of toilets, for that you need to go to Toto currently one of the top ones is CES993RVA ฿723,320.

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It’s not even remotely close to the Rolls Royce of toilets, for that you need to go to Toto currently one of the top ones is CES993RVA ฿723,320.

Wow! That baby must really have all the bells & whistles......!????????

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Wow! That baby must really have all the bells & whistles......!????????

While I don’t and won’t have one I have used them in Japan, they include:

Temperature controlled seat,

Temperature controlled wash water

Settings for female and male washing spray 

Water spray pressure control

A variety of sounds to mask female embarrassment (they used to use pine needles still attached to the branches to prevent splashing noises)

Fan assist air filtration 

In bowl illumination 

Music

Automatic;

• Open
  • close
  • flush
  • Water sanitising
  • UV C  sanitising 

And quite possibly other things I forget now.

If you go through Narita there is the Toto gallery with the latest models for you to experience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

DEBFA225-09A7-4820-94CC-A6BBAA9D3B18.thumb.jpeg.959c63fb91d2230c204f202d62eea265.jpeg

Another good thing about @sometimewoodworker's installation above is hidden behind the pot plant in the stand in the corner... two separate valves from the water supply... one to fill the cistern (at full pressure and flow rate so it fills quickly) and one to supply the bum gun (which may be regulated by the valve if the pressure is too high for comfortable use). :cool:

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

A variety of sounds to mask female embarrassment (they used to use pine needles still attached to the branches to prevent splashing noises)

Hell no.

I judge each of mine by the quality of the plop. Extra points for a "round the u-bend in once piece".

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I'd be relocating all movable objects away from the work area too (the dunny brush & holder etc.) and turn off the water supply at the wall.

Then you should flush the toilet one last time to make sure that the cistern is empty with just a cupful or so remaining in the bowl.

If there are no holding-down bolts at all you may have to try to rock the toilet from side to side to dislodge it from the grout seal (although your photo does not really show much grout at all), and you wouldn't want water splashing about.

@Toolong have you tried rocking your toilet from side to side at all to see if there is any movement?

Hafele also supply a "smart" toilet with most of the bells and whistles too... 

image.png.e0727dc08a6bee5bc1f61e98c7d6896d.png

Smart toilet
Soft closing toilet seat and cover with automatically
Cyclone Jet flushing action
Water consumption 5.5 Lpf
Automatic flushing system
Powerful cleaning
Gentle cleaning (bidet function)
Water temperature adjustable
Warm dryer with adjustable temperature
Adjustable seat temperature
Adjustable nozzle cleaning
Automatic nozzle cleaning
Deodorization system
Night light mode
ELCB (Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker)
Power: 220V / 50Hz
S-Trap rough-in: 305 mm.
Including remote control, stop valve, and wax ring
Size: 400 x 655 x 455 mm
Including remote control, stop valve and wax ring

8 minutes ago, Encid said:

Another good thing about @sometimewoodworker's installation above is hidden behind the pot plant in the stand in the corner... two separate valves from the water supply... one to fill the cistern (at full pressure and flow rate so it fills quickly) and one to supply the bum gun (which may be regulated by the valve if the pressure is too high for comfortable use). :cool:

Only one wall outlet is required as bidet T adaptors are available or they can easily be made with normal T and a flow control (Italy brand sold everywhere).  Yes indeed you do what.

Bidet T Adapter,T Adapter with Shut-off Valve,T Adapter 3-way 7/8" 16/15"1/2"  Tee Connector T Adapter for Bidet,T Adapter Valve for Handheld Toilet Bidet  Spray - - Amazon.com

ทองเหลือง1/2นิ้วชายหญิงTee Connectorท่อSplitterทองแดงT Shape Fitting 3  Wayท่ออะแดปเตอร์1Pcs|ตัวเชื่อมต่อน้ำในสวน| - AliExpressBall Valve 1/2 inch 304 Stainless Steel Mini Ball Valve Female and Male NPT  Great for Shower Head Flow Control Valv | Shopee Thailand

1 hour ago, Encid said:

We have three valves … his and hers bum guns  plus the toilet supply …true… 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

While I don’t and won’t have one I have used them in Japan, they include:

Temperature controlled seat,

Temperature controlled wash water

Settings for female and male washing spray 

Water spray pressure control

Fan assist air filtration 

In bowl illumination 

Music

Automatic;

• Open
  • close
  • flush
  • Water sanitising
  • UV C  sanitising 

And quite possibly other things I forget now.

If you go through Narita there is the Toto gallery with the latest models for you to experience.

Jeepers! I gotta go to Japan, at least once, before I run out of road. Stuff like this intrigues the heck out of me.

Thanks for laying out those specs in detail. No beer can holder though, I did note that. Oh, dear. Could be a deal breaker. I might just hang on to that 730k I had set aside for a decent lavatory. ????????

Thanks, sometimewoodworker. ????

5 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Jeepers! I gotta go to Japan, at least once, before I run out of road. Stuff like this intrigues the heck out of me.

I spent almost 30 years there for work (as it was better for travel here) and SWMBO spent almost 10, while I have little inclination to visit again but SWMBO hankers after the sashimi and amount you can save working there.

2 hours ago, Encid said:

Yes, you're right and it's a practical feature which, by good fortune, my toilets were indeed fitted with.....though with silly-size tiny tap things you can't easily turn with your fingers. S'pose it ain't the end of the world though. I can bear it.????????

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I spent almost 30 years there for work (as it was better for travel here) and SWMBO spent almost 10, while I have little inclination to visit again but SWMBO hankers after the sashimi and amount you can save working there.

30 years? Long time. That's mileage as a Japan afficianado. You may be my go-to source should I ever seek advice about going there, even for a holiday. My own connections with the country in anyway, apart from a wish to go there, is merely a long (looong!) liking for Asahi beer. ????

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Didn’t you notice that there is just one outlet, with 2 taps on it?39A30193-6962-485F-B4C5-592CA70A314D.jpeg.5784360c0f8ecfd5a553fe17b74c3078.jpeg

Ahh....now I have a two tap rig up like this, but they are of a different, more inferior design, being a <deleted> for my big mitts to turn on & off. These look perfect. ????

23 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Didn’t you notice that there is just one outlet, with 2 taps on it?39A30193-6962-485F-B4C5-592CA70A314D.jpeg.5784360c0f8ecfd5a553fe17b74c3078.jpeg

I went by what was posted - did not see that photo.  Just wanted people to know they did not have to install extra wall tap.  Sorry.

2 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

the sealing ring for concrete floors is a wax seal  , I recently fitted one where thais had bodged it now no leaks and no smells

Yes! That is the key feature I have been advised to get. Will do so. From what I'm able to see atm, before lifting the whole thing from the floor is that my case also originally involved a big ol' bodge job. Just as you describe.

(Thing is, house was built 8 years ago, I bought it two years ago. Guy who fitted them & committed this act of bodgery must be halfway to Mexico by now, living under aliases & false paperwork. Chances of tracking him down are next to impossible........

????.......sorry, forgive my silly sense of humour!)

????

3 hours ago, Encid said:

Hafele also supply a "smart" toilet with most of the bells and whistles too... 

image.png.e0727dc08a6bee5bc1f61e98c7d6896d.png

Smart toilet
Soft closing toilet seat and cover with automatically
Cyclone Jet flushing action
Water consumption 5.5 Lpf
Automatic flushing system
Powerful cleaning
Gentle cleaning (bidet function)
Water temperature adjustable
Warm dryer with adjustable temperature
Adjustable seat temperature
Adjustable nozzle cleaning
Automatic nozzle cleaning
Deodorization system
Night light mode
ELCB (Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker)
Power: 220V / 50Hz
S-Trap rough-in: 305 mm.
Including remote control, stop valve, and wax ring
Size: 400 x 655 x 455 mm
Including remote control, stop valve and wax ring

59,900 baht!!! Pass me the smelling salts, Muriel! ????????

I was not born to enjoy these finer things in life, Encid! ????

PS: Then again, no USB ports? No cigarette lighter? No built-in toaster? No wine rack, obviously.  Beginning to wonder whether one really gets one's money's worth here, Encid......????????