Alcohol Free Spirits especially gin

jayboy

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Out of interest, why would you like to drink alcohol free gin?

It sounds for me like a vegetable burger. IMHO a burger without meat is no burger.

And Gin without alcohol is not Gin.

So what is it all about?

Personal choice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

But is the alcohol free fattening (real gin is quite fattening).

I have been drinking gin for the last few years and I am still skinny. Before that I drank rum for a year and prior to that all my life I was a whiskey drinker. I am 62 years old. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jayboy said:

alcohol free gin......................................................................................established players (eg Gordons and Tanqueray)

Amazing, reference:- (Google)

The meaning of GIN is a colorless alcoholic beverage made from distilled or redistilled neutral grain spirits flavored with juniper berries and aromatics. 

So, do both named companies just sell flavored bottled water at a vast cost???

I am a G & T man - Gordons or Bombay Sapphire gin which are inexpensive here in Cambodia. 

21 minutes ago, jayboy said:

The market demographic is a young sophisticated wealthy one - and I can perfectly understand why the late middle aged cor blimey Pattaya chubster would have little interest.

Meow!

3 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Thailand can't get their heads around alcohol free drinks.

I was told in Max-Valu that I couldn't buy Heineken 0% at 3pm.........

Many low / zero alcohol beers now available in Australia. Some same price as regular beer, some cheaper.

Several times in OZ I bought a six pack of Coopers; low alcohol / zero alchol (seems to be marketed using both descriptions, about AUD$11.xx-   (about 300Baht for 6 pack.

Very drinkable.

On the supermarket shelves along with Coke, Pepsi etc, rather than in the alcohol section.

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

So, do both named companies just sell flavored bottled water at a vast cost???

Sometimes it's maceration (so yes, basically juniper-spice infused water) sometimes it's the usual process but with a special final distillation stage where most of the alcohol is evaporated and essential oils are re-integrated into the solution. This second way leads to the same manufacturing costs as for the ordinary gin but of course non-existent excise payments so the price still isn't justified.

Edited by GaryPustynskiy
  • Thanks 1

Well, your chances are close to zero; maybe some luck in the high-end BKK restaurants who has it's own small-batch importers.

The next closest thing you can have here is to just make an infusion yourself, using the same maceration process some of the producers use. There are sellers on Lazada who have dried juniper berries at quite a reasonable price, especially when buying in bulk. Cardamom, star anise, cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, cloves, peppercorns, orange peel and lemon peel won't be a problem. Water, time and some experimentation with proportions to your liking.

Edited by GaryPustynskiy