Covid Count Reaches Around 2,800-3,889 A Day In Thailand

webfact

22 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Get vaccinated, move on.

It's also worth noting here that, unfortunately, COVID vaccines for now are not a one or twice and done thing....

Because of the nature of the virus, being both respiratory and constantly mutating, for vaccinations to remain the most effective, people right now are advised to continue getting boosters every 4-6 months or so....

And if you look at the U.S. as an example, the rate of people who have received the newer bivalent vaccines thus far is only about 15% of the overall population (which is paltry!), even though those vaccines have been free and available there for months.

That's "moving on" in the wrong way.

"About 52.5 million people, or 15.8% of the U.S. population, have received an updated booster dose."

Screenshot_2.jpg.556baecc008ceeaa5032ef84e0f75c67.jpg

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

Wear the mask to protect others.  Get vaccinated and vaccine boosted to protect your self from the worst consequences of Covid infections.  If you choose to live in denial and unwilling to be mindful of others then at the least keep your disgraceful opinions and behavior to yourself here and elsewhere. 

No-one wearing masks here in UK so long I even forgot about covid existing....finally did catch it about 3 months ago and never again that I could feel since then.

All-in I think n95 masks and gloves did stop me getting it through lockdown as I was in-and-out shops endlessly...same as now.

Ain't no-one wearing anything for anyone else here..it seems some countries have moved on and swept it under the carpet....especially UK with winding down any stats for

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

• Confused 1

Just now, stoner said:

well thats a relief considering most of the masks worn here are not good quality. 

In general, any fresh, properly warn face mask is going to be better than wearing none, in terms of reducing virus risk both to the wearer and others... But obviously, N95 masks are the best available to the general public. I import mine from the U.S.

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No one is trying to keep the world, or Thailand, "under lock and key."  There are no longer any such enforced lockdown measures here, as you well know. And hardly any restrictions on inbound travel.

But, getting vaccinated, wearing a face mask when appropriate, and trying to keep in general good health all improve people's odds against bad COVID outcomes.

Usually, the people who post on here saying "move on" are those who want to disregard all the things that would otherwise protect people from getting sick.

I actually agree with you. I was initially replying to a poster who said it was madness and greed to let "the Chinese" in, when it clearly isn't as we need to move on. Thailand did a good job in removing inbound restrictions, it would be ridiculous to bring them back again.

Get vaccinated / boosted, take sensible precautions and live life.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In general, any fresh, properly warn face mask is going to be better than wearing none, in terms of reducing virus risk both to the wearer and others... But obviously, N95 masks are the best available to the general public. I import mine from the U.S.

I double mask just to be on the safe side. 

2 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

Wear the mask to protect others.  Get vaccinated and vaccine boosted to protect your self from the worst consequences of Covid infections.  If you choose to live in denial and unwilling to be mindful of others then at the least keep your disgraceful opinions and behavior to yourself here and elsewhere. 

But there's no requirement to wear a mask "to protect others", so obviously the medical consensus here and in most countries of the world is that it's not something that actually does "protect others".  getting vaccinated and boosted is obviously sensible to protect yourself.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/11/2023 at 1:41 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Around my neighborhood in BKK, most Thais still are wearing face masks when close around other people, especially in indoors venues... And a lot of expats as well....

From what I'm seeing, it's the western tourists who are the most conspicuous in not wearing face masks these days, even in places like the BTS, where they're specifically being asked to wear them.

37 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

This is fairly conclusive now. A recent Cochrane review found:

'Compared with wearing no mask in the community studies only, wearing a mask may make little to no difference in how many people caught a flu-like illness/COVID-like illness (9 studies; 276,917 people); and probably makes little or no difference in how many people have flu/COVID confirmed by a laboratory test (6 studies; 13,919 people).'

'Compared with wearing medical or surgical masks, wearing N95/P2 respirators probably makes little to no difference in how many people have confirmed flu (5 studies; 8407 people); and may make little to no difference in how many people catch a flu-like illness (5 studies; 8407 people), or respiratory illness (3 studies; 7799 people).'

https://www.cochrane.org/CD006207/ARI_do-physical-measures-such-hand-washing-or-wearing-masks-stop-or-slow-down-spread-respiratory-viruses

Full article:

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006207.pub6/full

Further to this, the lead study author stated very clearly: 

“There is still no evidence that masks are effective during a pandemic.”

The Cochrane reviews are the gold standard of evidence based medicine for healthcare. 

Clearly, masks are not as effective as some in Thailand think they are!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Further to this, the lead study author stated very clearly: 

“There is still no evidence that masks are effective during a pandemic.”

The Cochrane reviews are the gold standard of evidence based medicine for healthcare. 

Clearly, masks are not as effective as some in Thailand think they are!!!

This from the actual conclusion and Authors note, so your view is tainted as far as not reading the whole article.

Authors' conclusions: 

The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions

• Like 2

There's no way of knowing.

I've personally stopped masking up but I notice in Issan compared to Bangkok or Pattaya masking up is still prevalent.  Perhaps 90%.

The people in this covid count must have reported to a hospital or clinic otherwise nobody else is going to bother getting tested or reporting a positive result if there feeling unwell. 

13 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

There's no way of knowing.

I've personally stopped masking up but I notice in Issan compared to Bangkok or Pattaya masking up is still prevalent.  Perhaps 90%.

The people in this covid count must have reported to a hospital or clinic otherwise nobody else is going to bother getting tested or reporting a positive result if there feeling unwell. 

The only COVID cases counted and reported by the Thai government since last fall are those that result in hospitalizations.

Anything less than that for COVID isn't being publicly reported here.

The Chula professor in the OP was estimating the likely number of real COVID infections here, predicting 2,800 to 3,900 per day, based on the fewer COVID hospitalization numbers the government does report.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

See the explanation above. The Cochrane article is a hodge-podge of different studies measuring different things with different standards.

As The Conversation report explained above:

"A systematic review is only as good as the rigour it employs in combining similar studies of similar interventions, with similar measurement of outcomes. When very different studies of different interventions are combined, the results are not informative."

https://theconversation.com/yes-masks-reduce-the-risk-of-spreading-covid-despite-a-review-saying-they-dont-198992

And you feel people should live their lives by following someone's opinion in The Conversation?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Of course, you could also actually read the entire Cochrane article, including the except that @ThailandRyan posted some posts above, and get it straight from the authors themselves:

Authors' conclusions

"The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions. There were additional RCTs during the pandemic related to physical interventions but a relative paucity given the importance of the question of masking and its relative effectiveness and the concomitant measures of mask adherence which would be highly relevant to the measurement of effectiveness, especially in the elderly and in young children.

There is uncertainty about the effects of face masks. The low to moderate certainty of evidence means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited, and that the true effect may be different from the observed estimate of the effect."

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006207.pub6/full

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, I pay attention to credible COVID-related info sources such as John Hopkins and The Conversation. As for the latter, for your info:

Screenshot_1.jpg.0235c6b937dcdcaa8db8e3dc4aa609ab.jpg

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-conversation/

I know how much you like googling and pasting the results but it's still just an opinion article. They're not presenting any evidence that prove the effectiveness of masking.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I know how much you like googling and pasting the results but it's still just an opinion article. They're not presenting any evidence that prove the effectiveness of masking.

The authors of The Conversation article are all scientists explaining the science of why the claims that anti-maskers have made based on the Cochrane article are overstated and without credible foundation.

• Like 2

Covid, Thailand. always confusing figures... daily Covid cases are weekly Covid cases, estimated cases, confirmed????? wear masks .... if you want, no oligation but we urge you to wear them... alone in a car on a motorcycle, when nobody is around... 

I follow the western news.. It is more clear and reliable than THai news...and no mask for me anymore, in Thailand it is not a must..

• Sad 1