Covid Count Reaches Around 2,800-3,889 A Day In Thailand

webfact

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The authors of The Conversation article are all scientists explaining the science of why the claims that anti-maskers have made based on the Cochrane article are overstated and without credible foundation.

That's the nature of scientific debate. A group of leading scientists publish an article and another group disagree with them. And you expect people to wear a mask for the rest of their lives on that basis?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

That's the nature of scientific debate. A group of leading scientists publish an article and another group disagree with them. And you expect people to wear a mask for the rest of their lives on that basis?

You're continuing to overstate and misrepresent just what the Cochrane article authors concluded.

Pay attention to their actual conclusions:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're continuing to overstate and misrepresent just what the Cochrane article authors concluded.

In what way have I "overstated" and "misrepresented" it?

And I notice you dodged my question. Do you expect people to wear masks for the rest of their lives?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The US CDC and the WHO both recommend face mask wear for various populations in various settings. Hope you're paying attention!

"Masks can help protect you and others from COVID-19....

Layered prevention strategies — like staying up to date on vaccines and wearing masks — can help prevent severe illness and reduce the potential for strain on the healthcare system. Wear a mask with the best fit, protection, and comfort for you."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

So does the World Health Organization:

Masks continue to be a key tool against COVID-19

"WHO continues to recommend the use of masks by the public in specific situations, and this update recommends their use irrespective of the local epidemiological situation, given the current spread of the COVID-19 globally. Masks are recommended following a recent exposure to COVID-19, when someone has or suspects they have COVID-19, when someone is at high-risk of severe COVID-19, and for anyone in a crowded, enclosed, or poorly ventilated space. Previously, WHO recommendations were based on the epidemiological situation."

https://www.who.int/news/item/13-01-2023-who-updates-covid-19-guidelines-on-masks--treatments-and-patient-care

So what is your point??  of course use your brains in mask wearing.. that is what is written.. not alone sitting on a motorbike or in a car...and wih almost no cases anymore .....up to you...

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

1. Portraying the Cochrane article as some kind of proof that face mask wearing doesn't help prevent COVID, when the authors themselves (as quoted above) explain in their Conclusions section that their findings have serious limitations with low confidence level and may not be correct.

"There is uncertainty about the effects of face masks. The low to moderate certainty of evidence means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited, and that the true effect may be different from the observed estimate of the effect."

And further:

"Key messages
We are uncertain whether wearing masks or N95/P2 respirators helps to slow the spread of respiratory viruses based on the studies we assessed."

2. As for the future, I guess that's going to depend on the future.... the future path of the virus, the future of vaccines, the future of available treatment medications, etc etc. I'm not a fortune teller.

You seem to struggle with interpreting scientific articles. All scientific studies have limitations. It's totally normal and a section on limitations is found in all articles. All I did was quote the main findings of the study, hardly "overstating" and "misrepresenting".

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm pretty sure I've never advocated face mask wear when sometime is sitting alone in a car or on a motorbike.

But there are plenty of others here who think people should never wear face masks....  Those are the ones that I, and mainstream public health advice, disagree with.

yes. I understand... but wearing a mask is up to the person him/herself....if there is no need why do it? There is almost no dangerous Covid anymore for most people and the Covid causes, when you get it , less  illness than 2 years back.... Most people don't even know they have it.. so why wear a mask?? Before Covid there was no mask wearing too and there is TBC which is dangerous, and even the normal flu... So why not back to normal???Why keep on?? explain please

Edited by ikke1959
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm pretty sure I've never advocated face mask wear when sometime is sitting alone in a car or on a motorbike.

But there are plenty of others here who think people should never wear face masks....  Those are the ones that I, and mainstream public health advice, disagree with.

Given th low number of cases in Thailand at the moment, I don't  see a case for marge scale mask wearing. Ok, for those immuno-compromised or the elderly. But for most people, no. Mask wearing rates haven't change a lot, and cases continue to decrease. We went though large waves with mask wearing rates the same. Waves will come and go regardless of future waves. Omicron is at communicable as measles. No regular mask will be significantly effective in reducing its spread. I've not worn a mask outside / in shops for a couple of months - people go maskless in packed restaurants, night clubs are full....yet covid rates are low. But the psychological damage caused by government's responses to the pandemic linger.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

lol..closer to 1% I suspect...3-4K "estimated" cases a day is almost nothing and I bet the regular flu has more cases. 

How Do COVID-19’s Annual Deaths and Mortality Rate Compare to the Flu’s?

Updated on October 13, 2022

"COVID-19 is more deadly than the flu.

Going strictly by the numbers, COVID-19 is still claiming around 400 lives per day in the U.S., which is roughly 3 times as many as the flu. A recent report used death certificate data and found COVID-19 to be four times as deadly as the flu in England and Wales.

The data are also pretty clear on who’s most affected. About 75% of people who have died due to COVID-19 were 65 years old and older."

https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/covid-19/flu-vs-coronavirus-mortality-and-death-rates-by-year

• Like 1

Just now, DavisH said:

Given th low number of cases in Thailand at the moment, I don't  see a case for marge scale mask wearing. Ok, for those immuno-compromised or the elderly.

I myself am age 60+, so I'm in the higher risk group for negative COVID outcomes, should I become infected. Because of that, I handle my behaviors accordingly.

Overall, I'd guess that a large majority of the posters here on this forum are in one or more of the higher/high risk groups for bad COVID outcomes, based on age, chronic health conditions, overweight, etc. Those folks have good reason to take precautions.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I myself am age 60+, so I'm in the higher risk group for negative COVID outcomes, should I become infected. Because of that, I handle my behaviors accordingly.

Overall, I'd guess that a large majority of the posters here on this forum are in one or more of the higher/high risk groups for bad COVID outcomes, based on age, chronic health conditions, overweight, etc. Those folks have good reason to take precautions.

Now I am in the west now live in a city of over 2 million and nobody wears a mask anymore. 

We had just 60 infections in the past week. I am in the danger group I am 75 I am not an anti vaccer I had my 4 jabs also my yearly flu shot but haven't worn a mask for ages. Twice a year I travel to Thailand and also don't wear a mask not one of my Thai friends do, just a few kids 4-6 years old wear the chin warmers so I guess it is time to let go of them. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Theres an old saying in America ????????

A fool and his money ???? Will soon part ways from each other , The mighty Baht over Health and Safety !!!  VERY STUPID AND SAD Thailand !! 

It's not an old American saying, and the standard English is: "A fool and his money are soon parted". It originates from the Book of Proverbs, 700 BC, so it is a bit older than modern America.

Edited by JensenZ

16 hours ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Hello ,

Truly a big mistake Thailand , With all the issues China ???????? Has had your allowing entry with no testing or vaccination proof is most STUPID !! 55.6 % increase in infections compared to last week !! That’s almost a 60% increase compared to last week.

Theres an old saying in America ????????

A fool and his money ???? Will soon part ways from each other , The mighty Baht over Health and Safety !!!  VERY STUPID AND SAD Thailand !! 

It can't be stressed enough that no artifical border keeps out a virus. When there's a new more potent variant it will reach us all eventually. At this point there's no reason to stay protectionist. The cat's out of the bag. The genie's out of the bottle. No point in hiding anymore. We just gotta accept it's everywhere now. There are worse problems to deal with in this world.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, stoner said:

well thats a relief considering most of the masks worn here are not good quality. 

They are far better than they were in the early stages..... I have noticed as they pass me on the escalators...... also you see a few people doubling up. The common white ones seem to be more fitted so there is less chance of them sliding down and incorporate a shaped design keeping the nose covered. I have stopped using them myself.... but if I took a trip to Bangkok, and was on the Skytrain and bus, probably best to have one handy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

People have been wearing face masks in Asia long before COVID came along, including in Thailand in recent years because of very bad seasonal air pollution.

this old chestnut again eh. the number of people wearing masks pre covid was not even a few percent of the population. 

this can easily be proven by a quick search on youtube. a simple look through the thousands of videos of bkk and thailand pre covid will show you that most were NOT wearing a mask. i would say it was over 98 percent of all people did NOT wear a mask.

yes a few people wore masks pre covid but lets not pretend it was a big percent of the population and that it was normal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They are far better than they were in the early stages..... I have noticed as they pass me on the escalators...... also you see a few people doubling up. The common white ones seem to be more fitted so there is less chance of them sliding down and incorporate a shaped design keeping the nose covered. I have stopped using them myself.... but if I took a trip to Bangkok, and was on the Skytrain and bus, probably best to have one handy. 

That right there is common sense.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet it is still dangerous for unvaccinated and those elderly who have been vaccinated. Not saying wear a mask all day and forever, but when out and about in a crowded location using common sense and having one available is not a hard thing to do, except for those that bow there backs, are anti markers and anti vaxxers.

My doctors offices here in Thailand request that you wear one while inside, but it's not mandatory, it's common sense.

I agree.. If I go to the hospital or doctor I wear one... because there will be sick people..but when I go to the Big C in the morning or eveing when there is almost nobody there I don't wear .. Common sense..I always have one in my pocket just in case or if there are Chinese ,...

Edited by ikke1959
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/14/2023 at 3:00 PM, Bkk Brian said:

This finding actually underscores the importance of staying up-to-date on boosters."

We're all sooo bored of boosters. And do we now have to pay for vax? If it's free, there may be takers. If it costs, those numbers will go up. Covid isn't finished with us yet.

• Haha 1