Most long COVID patients have organ damage a year later, study finds

Social Media

More than half of long COVID patients suffer from organ damage a year after their initial symptoms, a study suggests.

Even those who were not severely affected when they first caught the virus remain impaired, with extreme breathlessness and cognitive dysfunction among the persistent symptoms.

More than 500 patients were included in the SAGE study - 62% of whom suffered from organ impairment six months after their initial coronavirus diagnosis.

These patients had an MRI scan six months later, revealing the lasting extent of their health problems.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

I'd like to see some greater context, eg, do we really mean most of the very small number of serious long covid sufferers suffer..........?  Best to remember that in fact the vast majority of people recover completely within days or weeks.

... IF they even knew they contracted to virus ????

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

eg, do we really mean most of the very small number of serious long covid sufferers suffer.

It says 'most' which means that the vast majority of them suffer from organ damage - not a very small number of them.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

... IF they even knew they contracted to virus ????

Then presumably  they wouldn't have long covid.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Was it the COVID or the vaccine?

The vaccine causes long covid? First I've heard that tall one. 

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

It says 'most' which means that the vast majority of them suffer from organ damage - not a very small number of them.

What I mean is : I would like to see some comparison of numbers with the general population. This would give us an idea of the scale of the problem.