Cement Kitchen Units

stament

I don't want to have tiles on the inside of my cement units, I would prefer a smooth finish.

So, I was wondering if I could just paint the insides white? If so do I need to apply anything to the concrete before I paint it? Secondly, can I use a gloss paint and lastly what can I seal the paint with? Is there some sort of waterproof sealant that would make the cupboards easy to wipe down?

Thanks in advance.

You will need a cement primer.

Then.

For my personal preference I would use a semi gloss acrylic. It is very cleanable.

Get the person who does the cement/concrete to put a polish finish to the surface.

Edited by Muhendis
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

You will need a cement primer.

Then.

For my personal preference I would use a semi gloss acrylic. It is very cleanable.

Get the person who does the cement/concrete to put a polish finish to the surface.

The polish finish is a liquid like a varnish you mean or do you mean polish after applying the semi gloss acrylic? @Muhendis

37 minutes ago, stament said:

The polish finish is a liquid like a varnish you mean or do you mean polish after applying the semi gloss acrylic? @Muhendis

Neither one.

The step after rendering and before the render hardens is to polish the render. This process takes about ⅓ of the render time if done well by an experienced crew. It involves no added finish, it may require some water, I don’t remember exactly.

Having watched an experienced, professional crew render part of our house the builder got a less experienced (cheaper) team to start on the next section, within half a day I had told the builder that he must recall the experienced, professional team back to finish the house.

If not enough time is spent on that render step you get a poor touch sandpaper finish.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

52 minutes ago, stament said:

The polish is not an added liquid varnish. It is a bit like rubbing away on a surface until it is perfectly smooth.

The polishing is done with a steel float which is smoothed in a circular motion over the cement before it has set.  A little water is added as a lubricant. if it is done well, there are very few holes in the finish and those that are there are filled by a sprinkling of cement powder and polished in.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Muhendis said:

The polish is not an added liquid varnish. It is a bit like rubbing away on a surface until it is perfectly smooth.

The polishing is done with a steel float which is smoothed in a circular motion over the cement before it has set.  A little water is added as a lubricant. if it is done well, there are very few holes in the finish and those that are there are filled by a sprinkling of cement powder and polished in.

Appreciate the explanation @Muhendis