Cebu

DanBlack

Before considering the Philippines, do some study of the health care system.  In Thailand, if you need it and you are financially prepared for it, excellent health care is available.  In the Philippines, even in major cities, the best health care is not even close to that of Thailand.   

Sad but true. The best of the Philippines doctors and nurses work elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dddave said:

Before considering the Philippines, do some study of the health care system.  In Thailand, if you need it and you are financially prepared for it, excellent health care is available.  In the Philippines, even in major cities, the best health care is not even close to that of Thailand.   

Sad but true. The best of the Philippines doctors and nurses work elsewhere.

Very true. I would also be concerned about the infrastructure. In Thailand, even amongst the rice paddies, we enjoy water and electricity 'upon demand'. We don't experience 'brown-out's' either. Internet is absolutely excellent too.

My recent experience in the Philippines proves to me how much better the quality of life is in Thailand.   Philippines seems to have done nothing to improve things all I saw was deterioration everywhere.

Will never go back I thought it was terrible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks folks. This is all good information. Can you tell me what you think the 3 best things and the 3 worst things are in PI? I was thinking about making it an annual vacation spot for a month every winter. Is that worth considering or is it so bad that I'd not enjoy myself?

There is no doubt Thailand has a higher standard of living.  Can not give specific 'town' locations in Cebu area but if you want Bars (foreigners) as well Dumaguete seems to be the choice in that region with very low cost of living and easy access to higher elevations for living if you want cooler air.  Traffic is getting heavy but nothing like larger cities and seems to still be able to be walked by those living there.  Cebu is currently recovering from typhoon damage but getting back to normal.  Basic medical care is available and Cebu is probably the 2nd best location for advanced care (Manila is the prime area).  As electric is local to each island you may not want to live high in a condo tower unless very reliable backup generators.  But on flip side immigration is easy process.  Outside of cities food may be an issue (poor quality goods and few good restaurants).   Other islands have some great beach areas but I don't know them and would be a lonely life at most if looking for bars/foreigners.

Edit:  most important point - do not even think about PI if type "A" personality - waiting is the name of the game.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

OP hasn't been online for a long time.

For beaches I go to Boracay, Bohol, Palawan.

Cebu is not a place I would go for beaches. Cebu beaches near city are located on Mactan, a distance from city center due to traffic. Public beaches are dirty, nice beaches are owned by hotels, entrance fee!

Hate traffic???

Then Cebu is not the place.

6-10 am and 4-8 pm equal gridlock, and other times too.

Air quality can be bad due to low quality diesel and the jeepneys.

Cebu is overrated imo, lived there in the past.

Boracay was very beautiful, but tourist numbers reminded me of Phuket.

Bohol are beautiful, but slower pace of life.

I have been living in the Moalboal area of Cebu for several years now, and I absolutely love it. The beaches here are fantastic, and there are plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from without the hustle and bustle of the city. Traffic is also not a major issue in this area. However, keep in mind that the town can get crowded during peak tourist season. Overall, I highly recommend considering Moalboal if you are looking for a quiet and laid-back beach community in Cebu.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2023 at 7:18 AM, Shop mak said:

OP hasn't been online for a long time.

For beaches I go to Boracay, Bohol, Palawan.

Cebu is not a place I would go for beaches. Cebu beaches near city are located on Mactan, a distance from city center due to traffic. Public beaches are dirty, nice beaches are owned by hotels, entrance fee!

Hate traffic???

Then Cebu is not the place.

6-10 am and 4-8 pm equal gridlock, and other times too.

Air quality can be bad due to low quality diesel and the jeepneys.

Cebu is overrated imo, lived there in the past.

Boracay was very beautiful, but tourist numbers reminded me of Phuket.

Bohol are beautiful, but slower pace of life.

I agree @Shop mak on the traffic and beaches in Cebu City. The city has some beautiful beaches, but they are too far away to enjoy. The traffic is horrendous, and the only viable option is to take a motorcycle taxi. Walking is not a good alternative, as the weather is extremely humid.