sad news for Phuket

zzzzz

imho, those times of fat russian maffiozos with gold chain and a cross, those times are over.

and obviously they don't thais jobs at all. tour agencies? how many? gym and fitness facilities? again, jest a few on whole island.

#fakenews detected

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

imho, those times of fat russian maffiozos with gold chain and a cross, those times are over.

and obviously they don't thais jobs at all. tour agencies? how many? gym and fitness facilities? again, jest a few on whole island.

#fakenews detected

Do you live in Phuket? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

This THREAD has 100% NOTHING to do with the war, BUT the many Russians travelling to Phuket 

why? cause for the most part they are obnoxious an really driving up rental prices an many are renting expensive villas and NOT paying rent !!  Tis has happened to a few people I know>  Did u even read the article??

as to only a few showing up here
"Between November 1, 2022, and January 21, 2023, more than 233,000 Russians arrived in Phuket "

they have taken over kata and parts of Patong,  In a herd they are loud, obnoxious and demanding, treating the locals poorly> 
see how they dress in public, its a disgrace, walking around central mall in a g string  <deleted><<<<  

Took my test for a motorcycle monday, during the video there were these 4 Russians that were talking ( Loudly ) while the lady was trying to explain things,  when asked to not talk, they laughed

I live here?  do you?

Hmmmm, do you feel outpriced? The Chinese are also coming and is going to get worse. The businesses in the tourist areas like Phuket and Samui are doing quite well now, the hotel prices are higher than pre-covid,  bikes to rent are hard to find and expensive, long term rentals are way up, domestic airfares are getting higher and higher.

The low class from the West living in these areas will be slowly squeezed out, they either need to find ways to make more money or find greener pastures. Isaan is calling.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2023 at 3:33 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

To stay on a long term visa would they not be too old to be eligible for the draft anyway?

I don't see how young guys can stay longer than a tourist visa.

I'd hazard a guess the young guys will come across the concept of the 'border bounce' pretty quickly if they've managed to get this far already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news !! None of them are coming within 4 hours of my patch !

Maybe the kindly Thais will rename the town Vodkathani to make them feel at home or even Nakorn Babushka

Edited by Denim
  • Thumbs Up 1

russians for the most part bring their families or at least bring their own wifes/girlfriends. 

most are easy going. 

and talk about obnoxious... 

never seen the polite brits, amis and germans misbehave, right? 

alright. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2023 at 6:37 PM, gearbox said:

The low class from the West living in these areas will be slowly squeezed out, they either need to find ways to make more money or find greener pastures. Isaan is calling.

I resemble that remark.  Spend most of my time in Isaan, with plenty of excursions to the Gulf.  No regrets—friendly natives, gorgeous women, reasonable prices (except maybe gasoline and diesel).

• Thumbs Up 2

Spent many years on Phuket as a snowbird , 4/5 months a year since 1984. It was wonderful. Last year went back end of Covid for 3 months. Dead, every business suffering. This year back to Jomtien but was thinking of a week/ 10 days in Kata beach where all my friends are. I’ve been warned off !! My best friend who lives there since 35 years even called me, to tell me I would hate it, worse than the best tourist boom years, over flowing with Russians on long stay with their families and kids ? Don’t those kids go to school ? I’ve noticed this before. Luckily I’m in a very small private low rise in Jomtien. 
i might meet them in the supermarkets. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is not a comment on whether this is good / bad  or in relation to the war. Just an observation:

In Bangkok Hospital (Phuket) recently, speaking to the nurse, told me .....and I quote............................................... "80% of our patients recently are Russian".

Looking around, many, many Russians employed as translators at the hospital to chaperone the patients.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 5:49 PM, anrcaccount said:

Looking around, many, many Russians employed as translators at the hospital to chaperone the patients.

Three, according to their website:

International Patient Services | Bangkok Hospital Phuket – International Hospitals in Thailand (phukethospital.com)

Phuket, as one of the most visited places in the world, is a center for international medical tourism and. of course with so many tourists, a certain percentage will come to grief during a visit.

BHP is a truely international hospital, perhaps more so than almost any other in Thailand. They've always had a large staff of interpreters available. Obviously, they now have Russian speakers on staff..

Edited by Old Croc

23 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Three, according to their website:

International Patient Services | Bangkok Hospital Phuket – International Hospitals in Thailand (phukethospital.com)

Phuket, as one of the most visited places in the world, is a center for international medical tourism and. of course with so many tourists, a certain percentage will come to grief during a visit.

BHP is a truely international hospital, perhaps more so than almost any other in Thailand. They've always had a large staff of interpreters available. Obviously, they now have Russian speakers on staff..

Yes, everything you have said is correct and I agree, however I can tell you for sure there were far more than the 3 listed on that page when I was there a few weeks back. 

Must have seen at least 10. Not sure they were all official translators , sort of concierges / chaperones too.  Anyway, just a reflection of the demographic at the time. 

From all of the discussion of Russian families pouring into Phuket, it appears that demand for long-term housing has increased significantly, driving price increases.

I'm wondering for property sales, is this unique to the market for condominiums, or is this also occurring for single home sales?  If single home prices are rising as a result of Russian demand, how are they buying these properties given that buying in the name of a shell company is illegal, and most appear to be families (e.g. no Thai wife or girlfriend to hold title)?