re. my rant against experts

. Here's an update on my bank saga. I received my new bank card but can't use it because my tan generator has to be replaced with a modern one, unfortunately to order one you need a tan generator and the company that produces them for my bank doesn't deliver outside of Europe. I have a friend and ex-colleague in Germany who ordered and paid for one for me and sent it by DHL, DHL is now on strike.

My bank, who previously said it can't be done without a tan generator, have sent me money, bank to bank to my account in Thailand, takes about two weeks, well better than nothing but after a week of waiting my bank informs me that there is something wrong with the account number they have given Bangkok bank who have requested clarification so would I send them more info (they fricked it up).

I should be able to use an ATM with my new card but the post with the new PIN number hasn't arrived (it's two weeks overdue), maybe Covid backlog is to blame or, like my first card I was sent, it got lost in the post.
So after two months without income at the moment we are surviving on spaghetti sauce with rice and wondering how to pay the land tax and the electricity bill.
The cosmos does not wish me well. An example of our complete lack of control over our lives, causality is king.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

tan generator

Surely as an alternative to a TAN generator your bank allows you authentication control via an App.

I switched to the App from a little TAN card about 5 years ago. I didn't have to wait for anything in the post, I didn't have to wait for DHL, I didn't have to remember any pin codes. Why not do the same? 

Some German banks, or maybe also European banks, have absolutely bad service, also inside Germany.

If you want a new ATM card don't expect to get one within one week - as a German person inside Germany.

I waited 40min for my new KBank card in Bangkok... I guess that is the difference to the so-called 1st word. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

Surely as an alternative to a TAN generator your bank allows you authentication control via an App.

I switched to the App from a little TAN card about 5 years ago. I didn't have to wait for anything in the post, I didn't have to wait for DHL, I didn't have to remember any pin codes. Why not do the same? 

My bank does have an app (I've never looked in to it) but having written over 20 emails to the bank asking for help and advice (including the bank manager) nobody mentioned the app as way out. Now my bank's website wont even let me look at my account because every 2 or 3 months you have to synchronize your card with your account by using...you guessed it.... a tan number.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Likewise.

Such as keeping $$$ in more than 1 bank.

I didn't do that, retired now but i don't regret the 3 years holiday I had first coming to Thailand.

Would like the energy to do it again. ????????

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

Some German banks, or maybe also European banks, have absolutely bad service, also inside Germany.

If you want a new ATM card don't expect to get one within one week - as a German person inside Germany.

I waited 40min for my new KBank card in Bangkok... I guess that is the difference to the so-called 1st word. 

The reason is that the cards are produced and sent from elsewhere. When the first card was lost in the post I asked my bank to send the second one per DHL, they told me that they never physically handle the cards to be able to do this, the banks own card producer does all this. Yes German banks are lousy service providers, beaten only by British banks in this respect.

47 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Time to think what you could have done to be better prepared when something doesn't work as expected with a bank.

PS: why is the title "rant against experts"?

Because it is a second part really, I did a post about the bank's helpline and all their 'experts' who fed me nothing but platitudes and BS, through this experience I know a lot more than they do now, not that it helps me, I see this as causality at its finest, working for entropy.