Thai Marriage Visa

Hello to all ,  I would like to get some information regarding  The Thai Marriage Visa .  I have been married to a Thai woman for

past  10 tears  and living in the U.S.A.   In the next year we are planning to move back to Thailand where we have some land in

N.E.  and build our new house .  I  would expect to get the marriage  Visa  in the first year .  My Question is after a few years 

my Thai wife wants to return to the U.S.A.  for  Work / Employment and I would stay living in Thailand .  What  Happens to my

Marriage Visa ?  while I stay in Thailand and she goes back to U.S.A.  Regards  Kenny Dee

Get a retirement "visa" (permission to stay based on retirement, based on Non-O to avoid compulsory Thai insurance), for marriage your wife will have to be in Thailand for your extension (including a likely home visit).

Depending on how long she intends to stay initially, you could do marriage and then ditch it and go retirement when she heads back to the States.

Edited by Salerno
  • Thumbs Up 1

You're being issued with extensions based on marriage because you're supposedly living in Thailand with your wife. She would at least have to return every year in order to do the extension, but if immigration finds out you're not actually living together, they'll probably deny your extension.

13 minutes ago, KayDeeDee said:

My Question is after a few years 

my Thai wife wants to return to the U.S.A.  for  Work / Employment and I would stay living in Thailand . 

With you not living with your wife?  It will probably be denied.  But - at a minumum she will need to show up every years to attend your annual visa renewal based on marriage. 

She has to be there - in person.  Why not just remain in the US.  It's usually the Thai wife who wants to return and live in Thailand, not the farang husband.  If they get wind of it Immigration will just consider that you're gaming the system.

OP, are you 50 years +.

If yes obtain a non O retirement and subsequent annual extensions. 

Being from USA you could enter visa exempt and obtain the non O and extension using funds in the bank method.

You would also require a Thai bank account in your name only to start the process. 

You state:...

"Marriage Visa ? while I stay in Thailand and she goes back to U.S.A. Regards Kenny Dee.

What you are calling a marriage visa is a Non O visa.

It can be based on marriage or retirement and the basis for extension can change from one to the other at time of extensions. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Thanks for the response to my question .  Marriage Visa then change over to Retirement visa 

would be the way to go here . Not trying to game the system at all , just hate to tie up some

$  22,000 dollars , that's all .

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/24/2023 at 12:56 AM, KayDeeDee said:

Thanks for the response to my question .  Marriage Visa then change over to Retirement visa 

Yes that is what I did and what many others have done. I got a 90-day Non-O in the UK based on marriage, and then have done 12-month extensions based on retirement after that, using 800k money in bank method. 

You say you don't want to tie up $22k ?

We are looking to move over this year from the UK. I am looking at a spouse visa I guess I need to talk to the Thai embassy in London to see what the requirements are. I am over 50 and will have some funds in the bank but not looking to retire as such, will invest in a small business enterprise or start one as we have a few ideas. Im not looking to make loads of money before the neigh sayers start but just to give us a little extra to make our funds go further / last longer. I have run a small business in the UK for the last 28 years so again before anyone starrts with the dont do it you will lose everything  I will not as am savvy in the ways of a small business.  We have a house, built in 2008 and a 5 year old HiLux with very little KMs on the clock bought by my wife from new and weve been together for 20 years so I am fully aware of pitfalls that can become ferang  but also as weve been together for so long I think the chances are no different to any couple anywhere in the world. I think a spouse visa is my best bet as I want to get a work permit providing we get a ltd company set up and meet requirements.

Edited by mickj88

6 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes, an extension based on marriage does allow a work permit to be obtained which is not possible with a retirement extension.

I should say "applied for".  Criteria need to be met etc.